• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What Valpo game do you want to revisit?

Started by Pgmado, February 27, 2014, 08:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier this season I wrote an oral history on the Lutheran Miracle. What game would you like to see receive the same treatment?

Nov. 16, 2001 -- Purdue returns to ARC, beats Valpo 73-69 in Berdiel's debut
1 (4.8%)
Mar. 6, 2001 -- Southern Utah ends Valparaiso's Mid-Con dominance in tourney title game
0 (0%)
Jan. 27, 2001 -- Scott Drew coaches Valpo to victory over Oakland in "The Fight Game"
6 (28.6%)
Mar. 15, 1998 -- Valpo knocks off Florida State in win that actually sends Crusaders to Sweet Sixteen
7 (33.3%)
Mar. 7, 1995 -- Valpo outlasts Western Illinois 88-85 in 3OT to win Mid-Con tournament; no NCAA bid
7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Grizz

Funny how we remember things. First, NO, Valpo didn't tie for the 2000 championship, our first year in the league, we won it outright. We were not allowed to play in the tournament, which is why u were the #1 seed. And I remember Willie laying on the court with his shirt over his head hockey style getting the crap beat out of him. The game was on tv. Would be interested to see it again. My guess would be somewhere in between

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Grizz on February 28, 2014, 10:24:45 PMFunny how we remember things. ...I remember Willie laying on the court with his shirt over his head hockey style getting the crap beat out of him.
Good try, though, Jon
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

Tx, the Oakland game would have been ours and Pgmado's sophomore years. I would have been at this game, but was at Carthage College for a track meet that day, so I missed the game entirely.

FWalum

Quote from: Pgmado on February 28, 2014, 11:48:28 AM
I covered the Southern Utah game as a sideline reporter and one of my most vivid memories coming from that game was when Homer called a timeout early on when it was 9-2 or something like that. He looked at Jared Nuness in the huddle and basically told him to take the ball and put it down in the middle of the court because Valpo clearly proved they had no interest in playing that night. He may have sworn during that rant and it may have been the only time I've ever heard him swear.
He did swear  :o and at halftime in the locker room he apologized to the team.  Homer had a policy that if you swore there were physical penalties that a player would incur.  He penalized himself, after the apology, to be completed at the next practice.  Because we did not get the expected NIT bid I don't know if he did his penance, but knowing Homer he probably did.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

sliman

I don't remember the opponent (Oakland?) or the year, but how about at least the closing minute(s) of the game in which Stalin "Instant Energy" Ortiz scored -- as i remember it -- 11 points in the final minute plus to pull out a win.

Smj

Valporun -

Carthage college. ...   I live in Kenosha.    Carthage is a very nice campus.

valpotx

Quote from: Grizz on February 28, 2014, 10:24:45 PM
Funny how we remember things. First, NO, Valpo didn't tie for the 2000 championship, our first year in the league, we won it outright. We were not allowed to play in the tournament, which is why u were the #1 seed. And I remember Willie laying on the court with his shirt over his head hockey style getting the crap beat out of him. The game was on tv. Would be interested to see it again. My guess would be somewhere in between

I was on the floor just a few feet away from it, and your boy definitely got whooped more than Wille did, and was a big wuss/crying B ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Smj, you're right, Carthage College is a very nice campus. A former track coach there recruited me heavily to run there. Valpo offered more financial aid, and the rest is history...