• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HL Tourney 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, March 02, 2014, 07:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Just thought I would throw this up here--there's a bracket challenge!

http://www.horizonleague.org/challenge/new

Prize is "HL prize package" and "2 season tix to school of your choice".

Top bracket by school (favorite team) wins the proverbial "HL prize package".

Being me, I will fill out two: one for how I hope it will go, and one for how I think it will go.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

ACK make sure you remember to set your favorite team.  pretty sure my first bracket says that my favorite is Cleveland State.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

I would be disappointed if we didn't make it to at least the semis. We should be able to handle UIC pretty easily, the we'll play either UWM or UDM and we should beat either of those 2 teams. Then we would play against GB in the semis, which won't be easy but we can easily beat them, so long the refs don't get overly zealous and decide to suit up for GB again.

I like our chances so long we don't see CSU again. I'd rather play WSU again but if we play CSU that means we made it to the championship and anything can happen in one game.

I think we'll make it to the semis and with a little luck we can easily beat GB. The 4 seed may be a bit of a blessing because neither WSU or CSU is in our bracket who we're 0-4 against, while the rest of the league we're 9-3.

HC

Picked with my heart, not my head.

I love March basketball!

LaPorteAveApostle

When there are just 8 games to pick, there will be several perfect brackets, unless there are major upsets.  And even then...

What it will come down to is not just being perfect, but the final score tiebreaker.

Even then, there may be more than one!  'Twill be interesting.

agibson

Was the 7-8 tiebreaker tricky?  I didn't try to work it out.  But, I notice the Times got it wrong, having us playing the winner of Mikwauhee vs Youngstown [sic] if we get past UIC.

LaPorteAveApostle

Kyle321n

That Detroit-Milwaukee game will be interesting and I think will be the difference between a perfect bracket for me.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 03, 2014, 09:50:01 AM
Quote from: agibson on March 03, 2014, 09:23:18 AMMikwauhee  [sic]
Seems like someone needs a lesson from The Professor (not you : ) --
Wayne's World (8/10) Movie CLIP - Alice's History Lesson (1992) HD

Yeah, needless to say that wasn't the target of the [sic].

Here's hoping the print media manage higher standards than iPod tapping.  (An, certainly , they do most of the time.)

HC

Sounds like Douglas from CSU could be done with an injury.

a3uge

So for Saturday and (hopefully not) Tuesday, GB's fans will have to sit on the opposite side they typically sit, right?

oklahomamick

HL 1st round vegas odds. 

Oakland -4
UWM -2
Valpo -10.5

CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Oh, and if you put $5 on Scott Drew's Baylor to win it all, you roll $1250 profit. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Kyle321n

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 04, 2014, 10:17:28 AM
HL 1st round vegas odds. 

Oakland -4
UWM -2
Valpo -10.5

I'll put $1 on YSU +4 since I think they win. Not touching that Valpo line...

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 04, 2014, 10:19:30 AM
Oh, and if you put $5 on Scott Drew's Baylor to win it all, you roll $1250 profit. 

43rd in RPI. 7-9 in the toughest conference in the country. 6-9 vs top 50 RPI teams and 1-6 vs top 25 teams? I don't think they're going to make it into the bracket.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

oklahomamick

No guarantee we win, but if we do......we want Detroit or Milwaukee?  We split with Detroit.  We swept UWM. Who do match up with better?
CRUSADERS!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 04, 2014, 02:44:21 PMWe split with Detroit.  We swept UWM. Who do match up with better?

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 04, 2014, 03:12:39 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on March 04, 2014, 02:44:21 PMWe split with Detroit.  We swept UWM. Who do match up with better?

No doubt, UWM.  We beat them by 13 at home and 15 on the road.  Detroit we lost by 2 at home and won by 8 on the road.  Detroit is more athletic.  Bring on UWM!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Tons of empty seat at the ORENA.  What with that?

oklahomamick

They missed a crazy game.  Spring break.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

If that happened around the perimeter, isn't that a block? That ending rubs me the wrong way. Seems like a dumb way to decide a winner.

vusupporter

Moussa would get called for two fouls if he had done the same thing.

FWalum

Quote from: a3uge on March 05, 2014, 11:26:54 AM
If that happened around the perimeter, isn't that a block? That ending rubs me the wrong way. Seems like a dumb way to decide a winner.
I does seem like a rather cheap way to get a foul but...... it is brilliant and one that I will file away to be used if needed in the future.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo84

It's a risky move. IU won a game many years ago under Knight with a similar strategy of trying to get a charge/block call with seconds remaining. It's a bang bang call from an official and usually goes D's way. Query as the eastern law schools say, clearly with Bader the intended receiver to try to get a last second shot, why not deny him the ball? Make Oakland at least shoot to tie/win. Then again, it was YSU....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpo64

The way YSU played  and the way they appeared to be coached ,  they deserved to lose that game.  What a pathetic finish on their part.  If there was  a foul to be called on that inbounds play it looked like a moving pick to me.  By the way, are the OU announcers bad or what!  They sure drink the G Kampe Kool-Aid!