• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HL Tourney 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, March 02, 2014, 07:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: FWalum on March 05, 2014, 12:10:55 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 05, 2014, 11:26:54 AM
If that happened around the perimeter, isn't that a block? That ending rubs me the wrong way. Seems like a dumb way to decide a winner.
I does seem like a rather cheap way to get a foul but...... it is brilliant and one that I will file away to be used if needed in the future.

Nearly identical to what Matt Howard did to free up Hayward for the potential game winning shot in the national championship game against Duke. The circumstances were different, of course, but both Bader and Howard intentionally stepped in front of the on-ball defender and got run over. The difference was the Howard collision resulted in a no-call. I don't know which one was handled correctly, but no question they were called differently.

StlVUFan

I'm fine with questioning whether the charging call was correct or should have been a block on Bader, but a no-call?  Nope.  Can't do that.

I'll say the same thing I said 7 years ago: the guy guarding the screener has GOT to help out his teammate and call out the screen.  Then and now, the screener's defender was right there in the backcourt with his man, and he's the one who can see what's about to happen.

I guess the play is a genius play if it catches the other team off guard.  Certainly it'll be a LONG time before he pulls that play in the HL.

I listened to Kampe interviewed this morning on WDFN and his description of the play was very illuminating.  I had wondered why he wouldn't have tried it a few Sunday's ago in the Wright State game after Pacher hit that layup to put WSU up by 1.

Kampe's rationale for calling the play: if there's 0.3 (or 0.4?) on the clock, by rule, you can't catch and shoot.  If there's 0.6 it's darn near impossible to catch and shoot a makeable shot.  The only option is a long pass near the rim and a tap-in.  In the WSU game, I believe there was something like 1.3 seconds left, which may explain why he didn't resort to it there.

There's also a backup plan: if the baseline screen doesn't work, there's a frontcourt screen in play to free someone for a long pass and a tap in.

When Kampe calls this play, during the timeout he goes to the ref and briefs him on what he's going to try and asks, "Are you going to call it?"  The other night, the ref said, "I'll call it if the defender falls on top of your player, but if Bader flops, I'm not going to call it."

He did the exact same thing 7 years ago, going to the ref during the timeout.  Knowing what I know about the ORU distaste for the play (probably think it's a classless move), I can't help wondering if Kampe met with any death stares as he walked through the hand-shake line ;)

Then again, this time it only tied the game, and YSU went up by 4 in the OT, AND 3 OU regulars fouled out.  So, I'm guessing YSU mostly rues the fact that they blew a 10 pt lead late and then couldn't seal the deal in OT (not to mention accidentally making the 2nd FT in regulation).

LaPorteAveApostle

Seeing what we've seen this year...that wouldn't even have been a charge last year. 

My distaste for Kampe & Oakland is magnified by this--particularly his "priming the pump" on the refs beforehand.  It is almost a self-fulfilling prophecy (the power of suggestion).
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on March 05, 2014, 01:51:33 PM
Quote from: FWalum on March 05, 2014, 12:10:55 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 05, 2014, 11:26:54 AM
If that happened around the perimeter, isn't that a block? That ending rubs me the wrong way. Seems like a dumb way to decide a winner.
I does seem like a rather cheap way to get a foul but...... it is brilliant and one that I will file away to be used if needed in the future.

Nearly identical to what Matt Howard did to free up Hayward for the potential game winning shot in the national championship game against Duke. The circumstances were different, of course, but both Bader and Howard intentionally stepped in front of the on-ball defender and got run over. The difference was the Howard collision resulted in a no-call. I don't know which one was handled correctly, but no question they were called differently.

The difference is that Howard didn't get run over ... he flattened Kyle Singler with a blind-side (and blatently illegal, according to Duke grad Seth Davis) screen.  There are images of Howard laying on the floor at the end of the game, but he didn't hit the deck until after Hayward's shot rimmed out.

The play by Oakland is hardly new ... my high school coach used it 30+ years ago.  If Slocum didn't warn his players about it, then he's to blame because that's about the only chance Oakland had at that point.  And FWIW, I thought the video from behind Bader showed he was clearly still moving, but the official making the call was on the opposite side of the play, meaning his view of Bader was obscured by the YSU player.  Kudos to Kampe for planting the seed in the mind of the officials.

HC

I thought Bader was still moving and not set as well, but since I don't like Bader I didn't want to be the first to say something. I thought it was a good play call since that was really their only chance. Shame on Sloccum for not seeing it coming and having his guys play way back. He cost us all the chance to see Kendrick Perry play again.

Grizz

Ok, hope I'm not upsetting anyone here by posting to much but I showed this play to a guy in my office who is a d-2 ref. he says it is the right call and had to be made. I said people are saying Bader was not set and it's a block not a charge. He laughed at me and said Bader is on offense, setting a screen, therefore it's not a block/charge but would it be an illegal screen and the answer is yes. Legal. Because he doesn't have to be set, he just can't move. The ref said he took the hit in the chest and the defender clearly never saw him till after contact and the defender went though his body. Displacing him from his spot on the floor and is clearly a defensive foul. He also said that it must be call no matter what time of the game it was. This is not me this is a ref, don't know if he's a good one or bad one but he is a good guy

valpotx

Probably the wrong board to try and say a ref sees it differently lol.  We have seen over 50 illegal screens called on our guys this year, so it's hard for us to see how other teams never get called for it too lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

milanmiracle

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 05, 2014, 09:20:28 PMThe play by Oakland is hardly new ... my high school coach used it 30+ years ago.  If Slocum didn't warn his players about it, then he's to blame because that's about the only chance Oakland had at that point.  And FWIW, I thought the video from behind Bader showed he was clearly still moving, but the official making the call was on the opposite side of the play, meaning his view of Bader was obscured by the YSU player.  Kudos to Kampe for planting the seed in the mind of the officials.

I'll agree, it's hardly new, I've seen it used before and used it myself years ago. I did think it was very very smart to let the officials know in advance about the "play", as they're less likely to swallow the whistle for a play on. I tip my cap.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado