• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

UIC at Valpo 1st Rd of HL Tourney, Tuesday Mar. 4 at 7 pm

Started by valpopal, March 02, 2014, 04:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

I was at campus this afternoon and saw that the ARC box office was open on a Sunday afternoon to sell tickets for this Tuesday evening's game. I'm not sure what kind of a crowd to expect at the game, though I'm guessing it will be small and the weather today wasn't helping sales, since there was a snowstorm and sub-zero wind chills, plus the campus was mostly not plowed. As you can see in my photo below, the place was deserted.

However, this game could be a blessing in disguise. It gives the team, especially the seniors, a second chance at ending the home season on a high note. Also, as an optimist I might suggest a win on Tuesday for Valpo could sharpen its game for a possible run in Green Bay. Go Valpo!

HC

I'm expecting an small crowd too. Students all gone and middle of the week with crappy cold weather. Plus our staff IDs don't get us in for free for this one.

Valpofan00

Small crowd and wouldn't be surprised with a loss. UIC has been playing good the past 2 or 3 games and have a little confidence. We on the other hand not so much. But I'll give it to our guys or last 2 games were against the 2nd and 3rd best team.

classof2014

We should win this game. I would be pretty disappointed if we didn't make it to the semis.

gamelord

I predict a blowout. Afterall, I will be in the house.

Valpo 93
Uic 69

wh

...as will the wh family. Can't wait for the opportunity to see our guys in action again. They have as good a chance to win the tournament as anyone not named GB or CSU (with their double byes).  Anything can happen.  Time to refocus!

bbtds

I think it will be close till the very end then Valpo will cause a much bigger point difference than what will have happened during most of the game.

UIC  63
Valpo 76

valpotx

I think that we will lead throughout, but not dominating:

Valpo 68
UIC 58
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

I am very tempted to predict a Valpo loss but I can't bring myself to it. I believe that LaVonte on his own could will his team to a narrow win. I do think LVD will get some much needed help from Alec Peters because he senses the real urgency that playing well in the first round that is due for confidence sake. Nobody else on the team, except LVD and AP, seems to ever understand the urgency which a team must play when a loss will mean the end of the season.

UIC          60
Valpo       62
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

StlVUFan

Smj

I just can't see us losing to UIC....   However in tournament play anything is possible.   I don't think Dority will allow the team to end like that and will take over the game if we are down at the end.

LaPorteAveApostle

LVD vs. UIC

24-45 shooting (53.3%)

13-20 3PT (65%)  (yes i realize that means he shot 'only' 44% inside the arc.  shut up about it.)

17-21 FT (80.9%)

11 boards, 14 dimes, 4 steals.

78 points in 4 games (19.5)

Anyone still think this guy will let us lose?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

aleavitt

QuotePlus our staff IDs don't get us in for free for this one.

Just wanted to correct this - since first round games are treated as regular season games from a host standpoint, faculty/staff IDs do get you in free on Tuesday.

Also, family packs are being offered online - 4 tickets for $24, with each additional ticket thereafter just $6 each.

agibson

Quote from: aleavitt on March 03, 2014, 10:46:12 AM
QuotePlus our staff IDs don't get us in for free for this one.

Just wanted to correct this - since first round games are treated as regular season games from a host standpoint, faculty/staff IDs do get you in free on Tuesday.

Also, family packs are being offered online - 4 tickets for $24, with each additional ticket thereafter just $6 each.

Ah, interesting!  (And, welcome, Aaron!)

It's probably been a while since we hosted a first round game, but this is at least a departure from what we've seen in recent tournaments e.g. for soccer and basketball (but maybe those were all later rounds).

This probably impacts the pep rally as well - which was advertised as requiring a game ticket for admittance (as well as the pep rally ticket).

sliman

Sounds like an email or other promo to faculty and staff is in order.

HC

Great deal!  Then I will be coming, albeit late!  Thanks Aaron.  :thumbsup:

historyman

Quote from: Valpofan00 on March 02, 2014, 05:04:14 PMBut I'll give it to our guys or last 2 games were against the 2nd and 3rd best team.
A Real grammar policeman would not miss the second mistake.
:o    ;D
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

AND, the Public Address Announcer is permitted to handle this as a HOME GAME... Whoot Whoot!  HL.com game only, We will have lights-out for the anthem and standard game protocol.  and No new Stickers on the Gym Floor...

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on March 03, 2014, 01:10:21 PM
AND, the Public Address Announcer is permitted to handle this as a HOME GAME... Whoot Whoot!  HL.com game only, We will have lights-out for the anthem and standard game protocol.  and No new Stickers on the Gym Floor...

Nice!

agibson

Quote from: sliman on March 03, 2014, 10:53:05 AM
Sounds like an email or other promo to faculty and staff is in order.

They have now sent one out, 20 minutes ago.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 03, 2014, 09:48:35 AM
LVD vs. UIC

24-45 shooting (53.3%)

13-20 3PT (65%)  (yes i realize that means he shot 'only' 44% inside the arc.  shut up about it.)

17-21 FT (80.9%)

11 boards, 14 dimes, 4 steals.

78 points in 4 games (19.5)

Anyone still think this guy will let us lose?

YEP GOT ME QUOTED

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Pgmado

Haha. Never saw your post until now. Great minds think alike.

usc4valpo

OK, Cleveland State is a decent team, and the Crusader are not peaking right now. They will certainly be improved next year; this senior class was light. That being said, are you guys really concerned about losing to a pathetic UIC team?

Valpo 85
UIC 69

Goraiders93

Hey all, I don't intend to take away from this game thread, but if you would take a second to help get the league some exposure before heading out to the ARC for the first round that'd be awesome. Wright State senior Jerran Young has advanced to the semifinal round of voting in the State Farm Dark Horse Dunker Competition. This is a platform for under-the-radar players from non power conferences to get the opportunity to compete with the big boys. The winner of the voting will compete in the slam dunk contest at the Final Four. We have gotten Jerran to the semifinals but now need more help.  You can vote once a day and your help to get the guy some recognition and the opportunity to represent the HL would be awesome. Just vote on Facebook by searching State Farm College Slam App, click vote for your favorites and you will see Jerran's name there.

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 03, 2014, 08:55:36 PMthe Crusader are not peaking right now

He may not be peaking but he's going for the sweep