• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HL Season Awards

Started by valpopal, March 03, 2014, 12:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

And let's forget Jimmer just got hisself WAIVED.

It's a philosophical thing; would you rather be good at a lot of things or great at one?

I myself, being good at several things, have often wished to have been great at one, because then I would have more direction in my life.  But maybe that's just me.

"Standing in the corner and just plain gunning" is probably more of a college thing than an NBA thing.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 04, 2014, 01:41:44 PM
And let's forget Jimmer just got hisself WAIVED.

Didn't he just sign with the Bulls?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on March 04, 2014, 01:57:42 PMDidn't he just sign with the Bulls?
True.

But when was the last time you heard of a first round pick being waived before his initial contract ran out?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

What's wrong with Jimmer? He's not a productive NBA player because he can't create his own shot (too small for a SG, can't drive score in transition for a PG), but he was incredibly fun to watch in college. He averaged over 28 ppg, had nearly as many assists in 2010 alone as Bader had in his entire 4 year career, and would shoot from anywhere on the court.

Baders good too, but comparing him to Jimmer in a bad way is a bit strange. Jimmer was great. Bader was top 6 in the Horizon this year. Nothing more, nothing less. He's a bit too one dimensional for HL POY considerations, but is an effective outside shooter to be considered borderline 1st-2nd team in the Horizon.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, I agree, but there aren't a whole lot of comparisons.  Best-case scenario is Redick, but even he is too-well-rounded for that.

Anyway, yeah, if Jimmer can't set the league on fire, then how is Bader going to do that?  He'll be a Jeremy Lin without The Big Break.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on March 04, 2014, 10:43:25 AMWhy not let Grizz feel good about his guy?
YES LET US

ESPECIALLY SINCE HE HIT THE 500 MARK

EddieCabot

I agree with LAA on this one ... Bader isn't any better than Jimmer or Redick.

And even though he had 39 tonight, without the 18 free throws, he barely gets 20. 

HC

Bader was real good shooting it again tonight. I was hoping he'd miss since I don't care much for him, but maybe WSU will get him. What a dumb play by YSU at the end of regulation, from not making the free throw to the boneheaded foul.  Too bad, I was hoping our leagues best player Kendrick Perry was going to get another game in.

Pgmado

HC, not sure why the Bader hate. I've had a few interactions with him and he's been great every time.

HC

Something's I can't explain, they just rub me the wrong way. Like my dislike for WSU and pepper on my fries.

vu72

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 04, 2014, 09:03:14 PM

And even though he had 39 tonight, without the 18 free throws, he barely gets 20. 
[/b]

Suttle, no doubt!   :rotfl:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Perry is easier to root for, surely. 

I would have rather seen him get to 2K pts than Bader to 500 3s.

Oh well.

I don't know that 7 for 18 is such a great night, though.  I mean, sure when you win.  His night from the line was far more impressive than from outside the arc. He choked on the 3 ball with 15 seconds left and was almost the goat.

valpotx

He made that completely off-balance 3 with around 11 seconds left, though, to cut YSU's lead from 4 to 1 in regulation.  I stopped watching after YSU made both FTs to get back to 3, OU made 1 of 2, then fouled YSU with 0.6 seconds left with YSU up 2.  I wish I could have seen what happened from there. 

Again, I've never said I don't like Bader as a person, or that he is a bad player.  He is a good 3 pt shooter and FT shooter.  However, he takes a lot of shots to get there.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 04, 2014, 09:03:14 PM

Is anyone even arguing Bader is better than Jimmer or Redick? Both won player of the year awards and were two of the greatest 4 year players in NCAA history. Neither really set the NBA on fire, but that's kind of a ridiculous standard to set. It's like diminishing Bryce because he had a PER of like 2 in the NBA. Bader won't play a single minute in the NBA, but that doesn't mean he was a 1st-2nd team caliber mid major player.

Smj

If the league tournament is going to be the deciding factor in making the NCAA tournament (big dance) then how about not doing player and coach awards until after the league tournament ...   Wardle or Jeter ...   

I bet many times it would not change much for decisions but it might give an edge to one choice.    And hell the league tournament is more important to your post season games so why don't they treat it that way for awards.

a3uge

Quote from: Smj on March 09, 2014, 12:08:48 AM
If the league tournament is going to be the deciding factor in making the NCAA tournament (big dance) then how about not doing player and coach awards until after the league tournament ...   Wardle or Jeter ...   

I bet many times it would not change much for decisions but it might give an edge to one choice.    And hell the league tournament is more important to your post season games so why don't they treat it that way for awards.

Wardle getting completely out-coached tonight had me thinking that, but I guess I didn't think he shouldve won the award anyways. I think it could lead to gut reactions (giving it to Billy D when they were expected to be the 1/2 with GB and instead got the 3 seed and lost to North Carolina A&T), or always giving it to the winning coach.

StlVUFan

I was kind of surprised he didn't go back to that zone in the 2nd half (or did he and I missed it).  Looked like that slowed UWM down toward the end of the first half.

I'm not saying GB should get an at-large, but I will say tonight shouldn't be the reason they won't.  I thought they played fairly well tonight, they just ran into the Florida Marlins at the wrong time.  Jordan Aaron is a load and a half when he's hot and somewhat disciplined.

a3uge

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 09, 2014, 12:28:20 AM
I was kind of surprised he didn't go back to that zone in the 2nd half (or did he and I missed it).  Looked like that slowed UWM down toward the end of the first half.

I was surprised Sykes played at all in the 1st half after he rolled his ankle. He seemed to be completely ineffective until the second half. They never really got brown involved in the low post, which I thought was equally odd given the size mismatch he creates.

valporun

Whether it makes a difference or not, Jim Barbar did reference that Alec Brown was having some issues with the injured shoulder that he suffered in the game before Valpo at the ARC. They could have had a lot to do with his ineffectiveness. In terms of Sykes, as the students who painted themselves up showed, Sykes "Got(Get) Syked". The ankle affected a lot of what he was able to do during the game, but since Wardle didn't have a competent backup to shoulder the load while Sykes could get that ankle really looked, I guess as I think wh said in the tourney Milwaukee thread, "karma"...

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 09, 2014, 12:28:20 AMI was kind of surprised he didn't go back to that zone in the 2nd half (or did he and I missed it).  Looked like that slowed UWM down toward the end of the first half.

I'm not saying GB should get an at-large, but I will say tonight shouldn't be the reason they won't.  I thought they played fairly well tonight, they just ran into the Florida Marlins at the wrong time.  Jordan Aaron is a load and a half when he's hot and somewhat disciplined.

BTW, was your 2 mile walk at 11:00 p.m. a brisk one? Was it better when Green Bay didn't live up to their #1 seed?

FYI, the Marlins are now the Miami Marlins.

I think the biggest problem for Green Bay is that Alec Brown was playing with an injury that got dinged again at the beginning of the game and except for a late 3-pointer and a nice drive (where he took a lot of contact) for a field goal, Brown disappeared from this game. Brown never seemed to show up during the biggest games in his college career.

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on March 09, 2014, 01:21:51 PMFYI, the Marlins are now the Miami Marlins.
They were the Florida Marlins during the era I was referring to.  I could have also used the 2004-2005 Houston Astros as an example of a weak team that gets hot at just the right time and takes advantage of that abomination widely known as "The Wild Card" (though I don't feel that way about conference tournaments).

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 09, 2014, 12:28:20 AMJordan Aaron is a load and a half when he's hot and somewhat disciplined.
and the rest of the time he's shooting 22%

Quote from: bbtds on March 09, 2014, 01:21:51 PMBrown disappeared from this game
Imagine if we wanted more out of our 7-footers, how GB fans must feel about theirs.

*cough*SOFT*cough*

StlVUFan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 09, 2014, 01:46:52 PMand the rest of the time he's shooting 22%
Of course.  Problem is, "rest of the time" doesn't exist yet this March.

LaPorteAveApostle

Eh.  64 points on 53 shots (not even counting shot equivalents, which would be 64 shots--64 points) in the tournament.

That's a terrible ratio, even if you're Kobe.

This guy was 2nd-team all HL.  What was he top 10 in the league in, though?
--Points (10th)
--Percentage of points off 3pTers (6th)
--8th in % of team's shots
--8th in FGA
--3rd in 3PTA but only 4th in 3PTers...(Bryn Forbes, same amount of ATT...15 more makes)
--8th in FT% (JORDAN COLEMAN WAS 10th!?!?)
--This has nothing to do with Jordan Aaron, but we had 4 in the top 7 in turnover rate? ... seems low.
--10th in steals per game (but not rate)

Admittedly I could come back and look at just conference, but he is who he is.  He's a chucker, and so is high in categories that maybe it's not so great to be high in.  I just...I dunno, man.  Don't see it.

In my defense:  39th in the HL in Offensive Rating.  Aaaand it's not like he's known for lockdown D. Sooo....

That's good enough for 8th team honors.  I'd be willing to bump him up a team though.

StlVUFan

I have no opinion on where he should have been ranked in conference.

Between Valpo and Green Bay this weekend, NOBODY has been able to stop him.  He has been able to do what he wanted.  If he's cold, then yeah, he's Mike Helms.  But he has been anything but.  He took over the game whenever they needed to.  I think I saw Jeter last night in the 2nd half several times point to him as if to say, "GIVE HIM THE BALL AND LET HIM OPERATE NOW!"  Green Bay threw everything but the kitchen sink at him, to no avail.