• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

This is going to be interesting

Started by StlVUFan, March 04, 2014, 01:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StlVUFan

Just booked a round-trip flight to Green Bay leaving Friday morning and returning Sunday afternoon (I'd stay till Wednesday, but work intrudes, unfortunately) -- and rented no car.  I'm staying at the Ramada Plaza Hotel Green Bay, 2 miles from the Resch Center, which offers free airport shuttle service, and I'm counting on walking the 2 miles to the Resch Center and then back to the hotel each night.

This will either be a great time or a grand mistake, logistics wise.  Adventure awaits.

And I'll have a bone to pick with William Shatner if it doesn't work out ;)

I'm waiting to purchase my tickets because I'm told that Valpo is going to purchase a block of tickets and I'd rather buy from them than from Green Bay if I can help it.  But here's the most interesting part: even if the unthinkable happens tomorrow night, I'm still going.  That's a feeling I'd rather not experience.  Of course, part of that is that work will also keep me from going to the First Four like I had been planning to.  I need to retire and stat ;)

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 04, 2014, 01:50:07 AM
Just booked a round-trip flight to Green Bay leaving Friday morning and returning Sunday afternoon (I'd stay till Wednesday, but work intrudes, unfortunately) -- and rented no car.  I'm staying at the Ramada Plaza Hotel Green Bay, 2 miles from the Resch Center, which offers free airport shuttle service, and I'm counting on walking the 2 miles to the Resch Center and then back to the hotel each night.

This will either be a great time or a grand mistake, logistics wise.  Adventure awaits.

And I'll have a bone to pick with William Shatner if it doesn't work out ;)

I'm waiting to purchase my tickets because I'm told that Valpo is going to purchase a block of tickets and I'd rather buy from them than from Green Bay if I can help it.  But here's the most interesting part: even if the unthinkable happens tomorrow night, I'm still going.  That's a feeling I'd rather not experience.  Of course, part of that is that work will also keep me from going to the First Four like I had been planning to.  I need to retire and stat ;)
You do realize that is Green Bay in early March and not Tulsa, correct?

I almost reported you to the moderator for craziest post ever written. I wouldn't walk 2 miles in Indy in the weather we've had this winter. Hope you have the winter gear ready to haul around. Good luck! You may really need it.

Shatner may send you a star fleet uniform or a T-shirt that says "@$#% I said" but that ain't going to do you much good walking down Oneida St on a freezing cold night after a blow out win by the Phoenix.

wh

Here is a much better choice of hotels for what you want to do:

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/WI/Green-Bay-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-Green-Bay-Inn-Conference-Center/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=50025&iata=00170230

Nice hotel, right down the street from the Resch Center, airport shuttle, reasonable prices, full breakfast included, good Trip Advisor rating

Have fun!

StlVUFan

Too late now.  If I recall correctly, the package I signed up for did not allow for cancellation (without eating the money).

Hey, I grew up in Valpo, remember?  Of course I'm prepared for this!  And if I turn out to have egg on my face, that'll just be part of the learning experience ;)

historyman

I do hope someone thoughtful gives you a ride. You probably know enough people that if someone sees you they will help you out.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

Good choice - I might go Friday and/or Saturday. If you're car-less, a good place to eat is in Lambeau right across the street of the Resch at Curly's Pub. Prices are reasonable and the food is good... Get the Mac n Cheese. Plus you can say you've been to Lambeau field.

StlVUFan

The only thing I'm worried about is no sidewalks or sidewalks filled with snowdrifts.  I will have plenty of layers on and gloves.

As for places to eat, thanks for the recommendations.  If they have a salad bar at those places?  If so, I'll be fine.

Of course my first order of business will be to get to the Resch Center ultra-early and seek out Kampe.  I plan to stare at him with a twinkle in my eye and say, "You dog, you.  You pulled it off again."  Of course, what I really want to know is: why didn't he pull that stunt against Wright State a few Sunday's ago????  Had the exact same situation as 7 years ago.

FWalum

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 04, 2014, 11:13:37 PMIf they have a salad bar at those places?  If so, I'll be fine.
So you have gone healthy StlVUFan?  Walking... Salad Bar.....
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

StlVUFan

Quote from: FWalum on March 05, 2014, 12:58:47 AM
Quote from: StlVUFan on March 04, 2014, 11:13:37 PMIf they have a salad bar at those places?  If so, I'll be fine.
So you have gone healthy StlVUFan?  Walking... Salad Bar.....

Starting 9 years ago, yes.

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on March 04, 2014, 04:09:38 AMYou do realize that is Green Bay in early March and not Tulsa, correct?

I almost reported you to the moderator for craziest post ever written. I wouldn't walk 2 miles in Indy in the weather we've had this winter. Hope you have the winter gear ready to haul around. Good luck! You may really need it.

Since you were so worried about me, I thought you should know that so far this weekend I have logged 16.59 miles on my pedometer and burned 2272 calories, and I'm not done yet: my 10:45 am flight was cancelled, so I'm chillin' in my hotel room (late checkout extended since my room is not reserved for tonight) getting ready to watch WSU-ISU on CBS after walking to Subway and back for my lunch.

When I tell you I grew up in Valpo where we had this kind of weather ALL THE TIME, you should believe me ;)