• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Post season

Started by oklahomamick, March 04, 2014, 10:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

What are the requirements to be invited to the NIT or CBI?  Will we get an invite?  How many HL teams will still by playing after their HL tournament run is complete? 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

We have no chance at the NIT, as our RPI is way too low without any signature victories.  We only have a chance at the CBI and/or CIT, and it would help if we win at least 2 more games
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

The NIT gives auto bids to the regular season conference champion of each conference (minus the IVY League where the winner goes to the NCAAs automatically),if the regular season champion doesn't win their conference tourney, then it's the top RPI teams that missed out on an at-large NCAA bid. Most mid-majors end up buying in to the CIT or CBI, which is equivalent to bribing themselves into a tourney.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on March 04, 2014, 11:19:24 AM
We have no chance at the NIT, as our RPI is way too low without any signature victories.  We only have a chance at the CBI and/or CIT, and it would help if we win at least 2 more games

That's about my feeling too.  Winning two games might be necessary, winning three games would sure help.

Quote from: valporun on March 04, 2014, 12:22:06 PM
The NIT gives auto bids to the regular season conference champion of each conference (minus the IVY League where the winner goes to the NCAAs automatically),if the regular season champion doesn't win their conference tourney, then it's the top RPI teams that missed out on an at-large NCAA bid. Most mid-majors end up buying in to the CIT or CBI, which is equivalent to bribing themselves into a tourney.

Not literally "top RPI", I don't think.  But, whatever flavor of "best teams remaining/best teams we can get" they, or their selection committee, comes up with.  In principle the CIT and CBI try to compete with the NIT, but in practice it seems like they get the 3rd tier teams.  The CIT, specifically, has a midmajor mission.

Buying in may be the wrinkle.  If we're willing to provide a sufficient financial guarantee to the tournament organizers, that changes the picture.  Our current record, or with a UIC win, might already be enough.   

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 04, 2014, 10:13:03 AM
What are the requirements to be invited to the NIT or CBI?

Will we get an invite?

How many HL teams will still by playing after their HL tournament run is complete?
For NIT:

1. They both have a selection committee. The CIT has more of a pay-for-play model that allows you to buy home games. The CIT is more of a joke, and only includes mid majors. RPI may influence selection committee, but it's NOT true that the NIT takes the highest remaining RPI schools.

2. NIT - no chance. We are unlikely to get invited to CBI either, but it's possible with a couple wins. I don't believe you can completely buy your way into the CIT - there's still an invitation process, they claim, but schools like High Point (RPI 249) made it last year. There's a lot of schools that turn down both CBI and CIT.

3. Assuming GB wins - CSU has a good chance at NIT. This really depends on other schools winning regular season and conference tourneys. If you win the regular season, you are guaranteed an NIT bid. If enough schools crap out in their conf tourneys, the NIT pool shrinks and CSU could end up in CBI or CIT. I would imagine YSU, Detroit, and UIC are done for sure, and WSU, Valpo, Oakland, and Wright State all could end up in the CIT... they all have similar resumes.

Maybe Valpo learned that the CIT isn't a good idea (ask wh his opinions on this), and its "road CBI game to get the freshmen some experience" or bust.

valporun

agibson, the top RPI teams that missed an at-large bid get a favorable look by the NIT committee, especially since most of those are 16-18 win teams from the top conferences that blew it in their conference tourneys. Valpo only gets an NIT bid in the years where they just missed out on the NCAA bid in the conference championship. This year, if they choose, they'll be a consideration by the CIT or CBI.

wh

The success of the program next year and beyond will depend in large part on the development of this year's freshman quintet. The more post season tournament experience of any kind the better. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on March 04, 2014, 01:27:33 PMThe more post season tournament experience of any kind the better. 
erm.  given what I'm about to immortalize, you MAY want to hedge this bet.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 04, 2014, 01:31:45 PM
Quote from: wh on March 04, 2014, 01:27:33 PMThe more post season tournament experience of any kind the better.
erm.  given what I'm about to immortalize, you MAY want to hedge this bet.

Building to a crescendo...the suspense is killing me.  ;)

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on March 04, 2014, 01:23:18 PMWSU, Valpo, Oakland, and Wright State all could end up in the CIT... 
I really think it won't "shock" anybody when Wichita St makes the NCAA tourney.

Never let a good typo lie!!!!!!   ;D
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: wh on March 04, 2014, 01:27:33 PMThe success of the program next year and beyond will depend in large part on the development of this year's freshman quintet. The more post season tournament experience of any kind the better.
I think that's an excellent point.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

Quote from: historyman on March 04, 2014, 01:44:09 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 04, 2014, 01:23:18 PMWSU, Valpo, Oakland, and Wright State all could end up in the CIT... 
I really think it won't "shock" anybody when Wichita St makes the NCAA tourney.

Never let a good typo lie!!!!!!   ;D

WSU could apply to Washington State and Weber State as well, but I'm obviously implying the Wright one.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on March 04, 2014, 01:56:02 PM
I really think it won't "shock" anybody when Wichita St makes the NCAA tourney. Never let a good typo lie!!!!!!   ;D
WSU could apply to Washington State and Weber State as well, but I'm obviously implying the Wright one.
So that means there would be 2 Wright teams in the CIT? Now that would be a "Shocker!"

a3uge

Quote from: historyman on March 04, 2014, 02:41:17 PM
I really think it won't "shock" anybody when Wichita St makes the NCAA tourney. Never let a good typo lie!!!!!!   ;D
So that means there would be 2 Wright teams in the CIT? Now that would be a "Shocker!"

Oh now I get it...

Yup definitely meant UWM.

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on March 04, 2014, 02:44:48 PM
Quote from: historyman on March 04, 2014, 02:41:17 PM
Oh now I get it... Yup definitely meant UWM.
It's a tough way to subtly point out a typo and try and drag some, but little, humor out of the situation. But it's not a shocker coming from me.

EddieCabot

Falling to the #4 seed wasn't ideal, but it does allow Valpo to add two more to the win column (UIC tonight and UWM Friday).  Even if they can't beat GB on Saturday, think they'd be a lock for the CIT. 

As for the cost associated with playing in a tourney like the CIT, is there any chance the HL opens the purse strings and helps Valpo out a bit?  Seems like they should, as the additional exposure Valpo could get by participating and advancing would definitely help out the league.

a3uge

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 04, 2014, 09:16:00 PM
Falling to the #4 seed wasn't ideal, but it does allow Valpo to add two more to the win column (UIC tonight and UWM Friday).  Even if they can't beat GB on Saturday, think they'd be a lock for the CIT. 

As for the cost associated with playing in a tourney like the CIT, is there any chance the HL opens the purse strings and helps Valpo out a bit?  Seems like they should, as the additional exposure Valpo could get by participating and advancing would definitely help out the league.

LaPorteAveApostle

talksalot

Little known piece of trivia about the VU-Iona game...    In the past 27 years, I've missed a total of 10 games.  Vu's record in those games is 9-1.  That was the only loss I missed... RLH announced that game for me.

I agree that getting any post-season experience would be a positive for this group.... But I would really like to Host Kampe next Tuesday night.  I believe I can fit that into my schedule.

wh

How awesome would that be, although the odds are pretty slim that either one of us will still be playing. I wonder if a 4th seed or lower ever made it to the championship game under the current format?  I'm not sure how to find that out without a lot of year-by-year digging.

Pgmado

Under current format (No. 1 gets double bye and hosts), the regular-season champion has made the title game every year.

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on March 06, 2014, 10:22:30 AM
How awesome would that be, although the odds are pretty slim that either one of us will still be playing. I wonder if a 4th seed or lower ever made it to the championship game under the current format?  I'm not sure how to find that out without a lot of year-by-year digging.

No four seed or lower has ever made the championship in the 11 seasons ('02-'03 to present) of the double-bye format.

#1 vs. #2 has happened 8 times
#1 vs. #3 has happened 3 times

#1 has won 6 times
#2 has won 3 times
#3 has won 2 times (CSU in '09 and UDM in '12)

oklahomamick

Do you think they will change the current format since Butler is gone?  Butler was a big player in changing the format and wanted to give a significate advantage the best team so that our best resprestative was in the NCAA instead of a "Southern Utah" who upset the #1. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 06, 2014, 10:56:32 AM
Do you think they will change the current format since Butler is gone? Butler was a big player in changing the format and wanted to give a significate advantage the best team so that our best resprestative was in the NCAA instead of a "Southern Utah" who upset the #1. 

No and actually other conferences are looking at this for their format (per chef).  The idea is to get your best team to the NCAAs with the hope that team would have the best chance of success.  That hasn't/won't change.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015