• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jordan Coleman Eligibility 2014-2015

Started by stephengries, March 06, 2014, 01:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephengries

Although Jordan Coleman is a senior.. Is there any chance of him playing as a 5th year senior for the 2014-2015 academic year?

I ask because he only played in the NCAA for three years..

2013-2014 Valparaiso
2012-2013 Valparaiso
2010-2011 Hawai'i

In 2011-2012 he played for Southwestern Illinois College which is a junior college is not part of the NCAA.. Any thoughts??

classof2014

vusupporter

JuCo years count against your four years.  Would have a better shot of trying to get a redshirt for his two-game freshman "season" at Hawai'i - still not going to happen though.

stephengries

yeaa didnt think so.. oh well. thanks!

historyman

Could you imagine if the jucos didn't count towards a student/athletes years of eligibility? All the athletes would spend 2 years at a junior college so they could have 6 years of total eligibility and that way they all could compete on the same level when they would be 2 years older than normal (normal meaning the current system) during their senior year. The early NBA draftees would still leave school early it's just that many of them would leave school from jucos instead of 4-year universities such as Valpo. It would make most of the athletes 2 years older than the non-athlete students.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

stephengries

Yeah so many student athletes would take some time at a junior college to hone their skills and build up their bodies..

One more question since we are on the subject..
Can high school graduate can decide to go to a prep school before entering the intercollegiate competition? For how long can he attend?

I know there is no age limit for NCAA players.. just scratching your brains for some knowledge! hhah

historyman

Quote from: stephengries on March 06, 2014, 02:20:34 PMYeah so many student athletes would take some time at a junior college to hone their skills and build up their bodies.. One more question since we are on the subject.. Can high school graduate can decide to go to a prep school before entering the intercollegiate competition? For how long can he attend? I know there is no age limit for NCAA players.. just scratching your brains for some knowledge! hhah
I believe you can keep attending prep school as long as you want as long as someone is paying for your schooling. The object of prep school is to "prep-are" you for college. Once you are ready for college why would you want to stay in prep school? Once you attend college and play sports as a student/athlete and graduate with a degree from college but have a year or two of eligibility left due to red shirting or graduating early (like Will Bogan) you can attend graduate school and earn another degree that could further your earning potential. Prep schools can't offer you anything except being prepared for the years in college. I suppose you could find a job and work a year or two but athletes find that they lose some of their athletic skill by not playing. Such as when a transferring student has to sit out a year at his new school and not play.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

zvillehaze

With a year of prep school and a redshirt transfer year, next season will be David Chadwick's 6th post-high school.  He'll turn 25 in October.  Pretty unusual, unless you attend BYU and take a two year mission trip in the middle of college.

valporun

Any Mormon can get that 5th year because of a mission year. Even Jabari Parker, if he was to stay at Duke all four years would be eligible for a 5th year because of his Mormon background. In fact, any religious experience, regardless of religion, is considered for it. Just have to have a good reason for why you're taking that year off for mission purposes.