• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HL 2nd Round - Valpo vs Milwaukee 03/07/14 Friday 8:30 p.m. CT - game thread

Started by a3uge, March 06, 2014, 11:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 10, 2014, 11:04:47 AM
Although one of them might be able to win a play-in game.  But I don't think that gives a ton of money...does it give any more than a team that loses by 38 to a 2 seed in the "second" round?

Unless something changed with the expanded bracket, play -in wins count the same as "second" round wins. 

A consolation prize, if you'd like, for pulling the 65th (68th?) seed.

EddieCabot

Quote from: agibson on March 10, 2014, 11:30:03 AM
Although one of them might be able to win a play-in game.  But I don't think that gives a ton of money...does it give any more than a team that loses by 38 to a 2 seed in the "second" round?

Unless something changed with the expanded bracket, play -in wins count the same as "second" round wins. 

A consolation prize, if you'd like, for pulling the 65th (68th?) seed.

That's correct.  Oakland earned 2 shares for the Summit League a few years back by winning a play-in, I mean 1st round, game.  If placed there, either WSU or UWM would have a good shot of winning a game and avoiding a third straight one-and-done for the Horizon.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: HC on March 10, 2014, 01:05:06 PM
It would cost us...but it'd be worth it

I doubt the "Big East" would allow Butler to play in such a "lowly" tournament.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

chef

The CIT is usually a mid-major field. Doesn't look like Wright St. or UWM would be in the play-in/first round.

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on March 10, 2014, 11:29:17 AM
Quote from: Goraiders93 on March 09, 2014, 11:01:10 PMEw. Wardle is a loser and a terrible representation of the HL.
*BZZZT* Nice try. You meant to post this in response to
Quote from: justducky on March 09, 2014, 08:18:31 PMI also have great respect for all the HL coaches which includes Brian Wardle. There is no way that he deserves the level of vilification that many have directed towards him.
We only wanted GB because we wanted a team that could advance in the tourney. Not because we think Wardle's so great. Although one of them might be able to win a play-in game. But I don't think that gives a ton of money...does it give any more than a team that loses by 38 to a 2 seed in the "second" round? Naming the HL teams doesn't seem like it makes much sense before the playoffs--much like the NFL used to do the Pro Bowl when they were just 87.5% thru the sched. BUT since there is a tournament team, etc., it would just further devalue the regular season to wait until after the tournament. As it is, it doesn't seem like the regular season is worth a whole lot any more.
Agreed, particularly when you come apart like a cheap suit in the tourney.
I know it was disappointing to watch Valpo play so poorly but I don't think you have to keep rubbing it in.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC

Where do you suppose the loser of this game ends up a s far as postseason tourneys go? GB is in the NIT right?

a3uge

Quote from: HC on March 10, 2014, 10:18:35 PM
Where do you suppose the loser of this game ends up a s far as postseason tourneys go? GB is in the NIT right?

GB has an auto bid to NIT for winning regular season.

CSU will not see the NIT. Its already crowded and full of teams that didn't win their tourney (WHERE WAS THIS LAST YEAR WHEN VALPO NEEDED THE SEEDING HELP?). I would imagine CSU plays in the CBI (slightly more prestigious), and the loser of the game plays in the CIT along with Oakland... My guesses.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on March 10, 2014, 10:56:02 PMGB has an auto bid to NIT for winning regular season.
Still early for trying to predict the highest NIT seed that GB might be awarded but if Brown and Sykes get healthy they have the potential for a strong run. It would be nice to see the NIT show them and the HL a little respect by putting them in a spot where they can succeed.

valpotx

Why would Oakland get a CIT bid?  They had a losing record, though against some tough teams.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Oakland was 7-9 in conference and 11-20 overall against D-1 opponents. IMO they don't have a snowball's chance of receiving an invitation to anywhere with that record. Granted, had they played Wright State's pathetic OOC schedule for example, they might have a few more wins, but that's highly speculative given that they didn't even have a winning record in their own conference. I'm assuming they got a big fat payday for those games (probably several hundred thousand dollars in total), so they already have their just reward.

a3uge

Yeah you guys are right... Didn't realize their record was that bad - I was just thinking that Kampe would be someone whom would pay for a CIT game.

valpo84

Chef--with the schools in the Big East now, it's kind of a MiddlingEast conference, right? Hence they would qualify for a "mid"-major tourney....

Guessing Valpo will get an MVC school, like an Indiana State if they fall out of NIT consideration or Northern Iowa. A MAC opponent is also possible like an Akron, Toledo or W Michigan. If WMU, we can have an Austin Richie matchup.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

crusadermoe

Good night!...how big is the CIT field?        I've lost track of those others beyond the NIT.     ???

VULB#62

a3uge

Quote from: valpo84 on March 11, 2014, 04:52:31 PM
Chef--with the schools in the Big East now, it's kind of a MiddlingEast conference, right? Hence they would qualify for a "mid"-major tourney....

Guessing Valpo will get an MVC school, like an Indiana State if they fall out of NIT consideration or Northern Iowa. A MAC opponent is also possible like an Akron, Toledo or W Michigan. If WMU, we can have an Austin Richie matchup.

Do you people not watch college  basketball? The Old Big East last year was one of the best conf last year, sending 2 teams to the FF and another to the E8. Louisville won everything. Then they left with other huge schools for football reasons. That conference turned into the American Conference. The American isn't even as good as the A10 this year. They have an unbalanced league with half the schools below 150 RPI and half in top 50 RPI. Louisville leaving (at least) along with SMU coming back down to earth will cause the conference to dip back.

The New Big East is a new conference. They're #4 in RPI and have 3 bubble teams on the wrong side of the bubble with Marquette and  Georgetown coming off poor years. Calling them a mid major conference is ludicrous. Just because the conference isn't as good as last year's namesake, doesn't mean it's not a major conference.

VULB#62

Watching UWM take it to WSU (so far), I see kinda the same scenario as we experienced last Friday.  WSU just can't seem to get over the hump despite a couple of early second half runs.  UWM, apparently, has found the right time to round into form.  Proves the point that you need to be your best at the end of the season and not at the beginning.  Got to hand it to Jeter and his kids for sticking with their plan and not bailing out.  That's us next season.

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 11, 2014, 07:45:25 PM
UWM, apparently, has found the right time to round into form.  Proves the point that you need to be your best at the end of the season and not at the beginning.

Except not really because it's not fun playing Michigan State in the first round of the Dance.

usc4valpo

Guys, give UWM props for winning the Horizon championship and making it fair and square into the NCAA tournament.  They beat 4 teams including our beloved to get there.  They played very well and they were well coached.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 11, 2014, 09:04:12 PM
Guys, give UWM props for winning the Horizon championship and making it fair and square into the NCAA tournament.  They beat 4 teams including our beloved to get there.  They played very well and they were well coached.

Yes, props to Milwaukee for winning the HL tourney with all games on the road and having to beat teams with single and double byes. Truly an outstanding accomplishment fot the Panthers. You can never count Jeter teams out of the race. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on March 11, 2014, 09:43:39 PMYou can never count Jeter teams out of the race
except in 2013.

when they were counted out in 2012.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

FWalum

Quote from: Smj on March 13, 2014, 08:19:07 AM
picked last and end up dancing. ... 
Hope springs eternal as coaches everywhere get more reference material.  :)
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

wasn't wright state last last year?  and then they were a few buckets away from the dance too.

also ray mccallum was 2-time preseason POY.