• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

One bright spot

Started by valpospartan, March 07, 2014, 10:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpospartan

We won't have to watch the 'human turn over machine" any more.  Just saying.

Valpofan00

LaPorteAveApostle

No, Vashil's got another year left
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 07, 2014, 10:52:49 PM
No, Vashil's got another year left

Stats don't lie

Moussa 73 TOs

Vashil 35

Moussa had more than 2 times as many TOs. He was a big disappointment.

LaPorteAveApostle

I was being facetious (it's 74 to 36, btw). 

I just think it's funny that we're going to dump all over him that way when we could choose to remember him as the best single-season shot blocker in VU history.  Or the best big-man FT shooter we're ever likely to see--here or in the pros.

here's what you had to say at the time, for the record:
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=472.msg33451#msg33451

fun to watch everyone weigh in.  as always, i think it says more about us than him.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 07, 2014, 11:05:57 PM
here's what you had to say at the time, for the record:
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=472.msg33451#msg33451

fun to watch everyone weigh in.  as always, i think it says more about us than him.

Don't get me wrong he was a terrific shot blocker and an excellent FT shooter. The TOs is what killed his game this season. If the TO numbers would've been cut down, he would of had a very good year. He also wasn't the rebounder I thought he was gonna be and it showed in a game like today.

valpotx

I think that Moussa served a decent purpose this year.  He helped get Vashil ready in practices by being another big man to guard and be defended, and he allowed Vashil to gradually work into a more steady role for next year, barring some great 5th year post guy coming in.  I won't complain too much about Moussa, as even with the turnovers, he basically evened those out with defensive plays and altered shots.  If only he chose Valpo several years ago, he might have been much better, as Alabama did absolutely nothing to develop his skills.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Smj

It is impressive how far vashil had come.   I hear he is a hard worker so I think he will have a good senior year   

valpospartan

Quote from: valpotx on March 07, 2014, 11:15:47 PM
I think that Moussa served a decent purpose this year.  He helped get Vashil ready in practices by being another big man to guard and be defended, and he allowed Vashil to gradually work into a more steady role for next year, barring some great 5th year post guy coming in.  I won't complain too much about Moussa, as even with the turnovers, he basically evened those out with defensive plays and altered shots.  years ago, he might have been much better, as Alabama did absolutely nothing to develop his skills.

Wow, we must have been watching different games.

valpotx

Agreed.  If you only watch his attempts at a hook shot early in the season, to some of the recent games, you will see that he is MUCH quicker in making the decision to start that move.  He has also shown improvement in catching it under the basket and going up right away, whereas very early in the season, he took quite a long time to do a quick hop and dunk.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpospartan on March 07, 2014, 11:21:04 PMwe must have been watching different games
i think you and i were watching the same games.

remember?

valpotx

Quote from: valpospartan on March 07, 2014, 11:21:04 PM
Quote from: valpotx on March 07, 2014, 11:15:47 PM
I think that Moussa served a decent purpose this year.  He helped get Vashil ready in practices by being another big man to guard and be defended, and he allowed Vashil to gradually work into a more steady role for next year, barring some great 5th year post guy coming in.  I won't complain too much about Moussa, as even with the turnovers, he basically evened those out with defensive plays and altered shots.  years ago, he might have been much better, as Alabama did absolutely nothing to develop his skills.

Wow, we must have been watching different games.

I was speaking about his turnovers and blocked shots essentially being even, and any fouls pretty much being fairly similar to altered shots.  I didn't say he was fantastic, just that he served a purpose.
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

Sorry I don't see it that way. A plus defender maybe but a big minus at the offensive end.  The lack of an offensive post threat totally changed our game when defenders could extend their defense without worrying about post scoring. Who wouldn't have preferred a 6'8 Kevin to the 6'10 Vashil or the 7' Mousa.  And the turnovers  my god!  I found myself screaming " For gods sake don't throw it to the post only to watch the ball get bumbled out of bounds or end up in the defenders hands. And don't even get me started on the illegal screens.  We have got to stop giving 4 year scholarships to projects and find a way to recruit some post players who have some offensive skills.

valpospartan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 07, 2014, 11:23:26 PM
Quote from: valpospartan on March 07, 2014, 11:21:04 PMwe must have been watching different games
i think you and i were watching the same games.

remember?

Is is necessary to be nasty?

valpospartan

Quote from: nkvu on March 08, 2014, 12:42:35 AM
Sorry I don't see it that way. A plus defender maybe but a big minus at the offensive end.  The lack of an offensive post threat totally changed our game when defenders could extend their defense without worrying about post scoring. Who wouldn't have preferred a 6'8 Kevin to the 6'10 Vashil or the 7' Mousa.  And the turnovers  my god!  I found myself screaming " For gods sake don't throw it to the post only to watch the ball get bumbled out of bounds or end up in the defenders hands. And don't even get me started on the illegal screens.  We have got to stop giving 4 year scholarships to projects and find a way to recruit some post players who have some offensive skills.

Now, we were watching the same game.
Do you think there is a good reason that he didn't stay in Alabama? I can see a graduate transferring up in conference, ala B.Wood, but I question why one would transfer down - in other words, I'd say that there usually is a "talent" reason. 

classof2014

Quote from: valpospartan on March 08, 2014, 06:37:08 PM
Quote from: nkvu on March 08, 2014, 12:42:35 AM

Now, we were watching the same game.
Do you think there is a good reason that he didn't stay in Alabama? I can see a graduate transferring up in conference, ala B.Wood, but I question why one would transfer down - in other words, I'd say that there usually is a "talent" reason. 

Couldn't agree more with that statement. Transferring down typically means that the was a talent issue not a playing time issue. While if players transfer up, or to a similar school, they will be likely to have a larger impact.

Transfer Down
Moussa -- Alabama -Below Average
Bobby -- Indiana - Average
Alex Rossi -- California - Medical issues (incredibly unfortunate)
Ben Boggs -- Virginia Tech - Average
Will Bogan -- Ole Miss - Average
Cory Johnson -- Iowa State - Excellent

Transfer Up/Similar Program
Keith -- Saint Louis - Above average, but will be incredibly strong with time
Jordan -- JUCO - Below average
LVD -- South Florida - Excellent
David Chadwick -- Rice - Poor
Nickerson -- Charlotte - ???????
Richie Edwards -- JUCO - Above average
Brandon Wood -- JUCO - Excellent

For the most part we have been able to strike gold in transfer ups or at least have a player that is "above average" compared to the team. Cory Johnson really is the only outlier in the last few seasons that transferred down and was really successful in the HL since the 2010 season.

valporun

I think most "transfer downs" are either because the team they go has an immediate starting spot, which is what Moussa had, and a lot of similar transfer ups or equalities is because of playing time they can challenge to get. Moussa was an immediate starter because we didn't have a 5 that would could be confident in to start the season. We all thought Vashil would get playing time, but not one person expected that he'd be the starting 5 man during conference play. Talk about a great surprise! Maybe Moussa wound up being the confidence boost or challenge that Vashil needed to prove to himself that he can be effective in the middle defensively? Sure, he's not a great offensive threat, but luckily Vashil has the offseason to work on post moves and getting to the basket for what we hope are many easy layups next season.

Many of the others in the transfer list weren't anything special. I think we had our best transfers in Cory because he could confidently find the perimeter shooter to catch the defense off guard for a 3, and Brandon could take control in important games, but he also knew he didn't have to be "the man" every game either. So many of the other guys on this list were expecting to be "the man", but were lacking in some skill they couldn't get working for them while at Valpo.