• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

CSU's Forbes transferring?

Started by wh, May 18, 2014, 06:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Cleveland State Basketball's Leading Scorer Bryn Forbes May Be Eyeing Transfer

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/22656

This would be a big blow to CSU's title hopes for next season.

HC

He could put up some points, lucky for them they are pretty deep at the guard spot.

valpopal

The Forbes transfer to MSU has been confirmed today by ESPN. Might receive a waiver to play this year.

LaPorteAveApostle

Wow, never thought it was possible, but I dislike Izzo even more.  He still doesn't have a whole lot to go on next year, though.

Remember when he was wringing his hands about how AWFUL the situation was and how he couldn't BELIEVE graduate transfers yada yada B-Wood yada...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

What a bunch of Bull$#!+.  If the requirement for a hardship waiver is that you want to be close to your progeny then..... Well, you get my drift.

If this was a request by any school outside of the power conferences then it doesn't even get looked at before being placed in the circular file.  Stultifying it is.

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on August 21, 2014, 08:39:54 AM
What a bunch of Bull$#!+.  If the requirement for a hardship waiver is that you want to be close to your progeny then..... Well, you get my drift.

If this was a request by any school outside of the power conferences then it doesn't even get looked at before being placed in the circular file.  Stultifying it is.

Nice word!   ;)

Stultify Definition
dictionary.search.yahoo.com
tr.v.
To cause to lose interest or feel dull and not alert.
The audience was stultified by the speaker's unchanging monotone.
To render useless or ineffectual.
To cause to appear stupid, inconsistent, or ridiculous.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Is this a sports columnist coming down on him?

Nope, his coach, aided and abetted by the beat writer.

Well, you wanted to run with the big dogs, kid...surprised at the fleas?

From an article entitled Bryn Forbes' offense for MSU doesn't excuse his defense (!)
QuoteBryn Forbes had his best game as a Spartan on Wednesday.

The problem for Michigan State in its 79-78 overtime loss to Notre Dame was the performance was on only one end of the court.

"His man had as many makes as he did was the problem," Michigan State coach Tom Izzo said. "The guy scores offensively, but he gave up the first nine points of the game."

On top of that, when the Spartans needed an offensive spark, Forbes stopped shooting.

That's the lede; here's some more good stuff.

QuoteThe challenge for Izzo is to get him to be serviceable on the defensive end, something he had been improving at before Wednesday's loss to Notre Dame.

"I was really happy with the progress he was making," Izzo said. "He's got to get after it more and be more intense, and that is something he has struggled with his whole career, at Cleveland State and here."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state-university/2014/12/04/bryn-forbes-offense-msu-excuse-defense/19917591/

Ouch.  Your task is to imagine ANYTHING like this happening at VU (thinking specifically of a coach calling a kid out, let alone a writer putting the beat in beat-down).

classof2014

This is why guys like Izzo, Coach K, and many other high/power major coaches are total pieces of garbage. They could care less about the players and only care about the W. If they no longer fit into their system they'll have no problem forcing them out of the program to open up a scholarship spot. They don't care about the quality of the kids they get and that is why they seem to get the kids that are constantly in trouble, they only care about the on court stuff not the off court.

This makes a guy like Bryce just that much more special. He's a great coach plus a great person. I don't think he'll ever come out in a newspaper article and blame a player for a loss.

Unfortunately the NCAA always seems to reward guys like Coach K, Izzo, Pitino, etc... by making exceptions to the rules, allowing immediate eligibility on some garbage hardship waver. KC basically lost a year and a half because of this, the head coach that recruited him died, so he decided to transfer after playing in a few game. Did they allow him to play? No. Hammink is currently sitting the season out after basically LSU said they didn't want him any longer and cut him loose, did they allow him to play? No. On the other hand when a former LSU teammate of Hammink was kicked off the team for legal issues he transferred to bigger Oklahoma State, and they gave him a hardship waver. What total bull...

FWalum

Quote from: classof2014 on December 05, 2014, 08:26:54 AMThis is why guys like Izzo, Coach K, and many other high/power major coaches are total pieces of garbage. They could care less about the players and only care about the W. If they no longer fit into their system they'll have no problem forcing them out of the program to open up a scholarship spot. They don't care about the quality of the kids they get and that is why they seem to get the kids that are constantly in trouble, they only care about the on court stuff not the off court.

This makes a guy like Bryce just that much more special. He's a great coach plus a great person. I don't think he'll ever come out in a newspaper article and blame a player for a loss.
Have to say that I have met Coach Izzo a couple of times out recruiting, especially when he was in the Fort Wayne area courting Russell Byrd.  Was always extremely cordial and I had not seen too much from him in this "blame the player" vain, so I was a little surprised to read his statements.

Was trying to talk up the IPFW game to some people at church council the other night and the topic of Homer and Bryce came up.  The conversation revolved around the feeling as to how proud VU can be to have coaches for which we have never had to make excuses for their words or be embarrassed by their behavior. 

Made my chest puff up a little bit...

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show