• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #10 - Vs. Butler Bulldogs

Started by VULB#62, November 01, 2014, 03:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

62-52 over Morehead  :o

We can beat these guys!

usc4valpo

Well, let's walk the walk for a change.  I agree, but it is the execution of it that counts.

covufan

Yes, we can beat these guys.  We let one get away (Morehead State), and really gave a good portion of the game to Dayton (turnovers, etc.) - so yes, we could win this one. 

Valpo    -  30
Butler   -   27

vu72

Quote from: covufan on November 03, 2014, 12:04:55 PM
Yes, we can beat these guys.  We let one get away (Morehead State), and really gave a good portion of the game to Dayton (turnovers, etc.) - so yes, we could win this one. 

Valpo    -  30
Butler   -   27

I sure hope you are correct.  I think any of us would say it was a successful season with a Butler win.  Unfortunately we are facing a bunch of critical player questions.  Will Karamata be able to go?  Will Hall be able to go?  Will Cassara be able to go?  How much rope will Coach give to Ben?  If we are ner full strength I also like our chances.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Are Camerota, Cassera and Hall replaceable?  Yes.  Can we beat Butler?  Yes.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on November 03, 2014, 01:17:38 PMKaramata

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 03, 2014, 09:37:46 PMCamerota

...what more does a guy have to do to get some respect (other than lead the team in receiving, scoring, and be a preseason AA)?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

My bad on that.  I mixed up the name with the CNN and Fox News reporter.

Karamata may be a preseason AA and he is good, but they were 100's of preseason AA's on that list.  He is good but he is not irreplaceable.  No player is irreplaceable when you have been 5-37 the past four years.

Time to see what the young guns can do and move forward.

VULB#62

KUramata and the other receivers have a significant dependency on our QBs getting the ball within their catch range.  No one can be a AA receiver without that.  And while I really like the more diverse attack, the increased emphasis on the running game, and the increased mobility demanded of our QBs in the new scheme, we need to be able to deliver the ball better to make the passing attack more effective.  Part of it is progressions.  I recall one particular (3rd and 2) play against Dayton, in which the RB circled out of the backfield to the weak side and was open by 15 yards, but the play went strong side, with no look to the back, and was incomplete as Dayton rolled up strong side.  With full field vision, that would have been an easy 1st down +.

VULB#62

FYI

Butler 62 - MSU 52
Stetson 28 - Campbell 24
USD 17 - Drake 14

UPSET OF THE SEASON (SO FAR, IMO)

Marist 17 - Jacksonville 16

By next year I want our program to be in the discussion that surrounds close scores and/or upsets like the Stetson and Marist results this week..

covufan

valpopal

usc4valpo

Wow, not a lot of interest for the battle of the Hoosier Helmet.  Guys, this is the big rivalry game.  I guarantee that it will not be a repeat of the 72-12 Carlson swansong game last year.

Buttheads 35
Valpo 24

FloridaFootball

Sorry that this game is not being streamed live!

VULB#62

Roger that.  This is a winnable game if we protect the ball, don't drop easy interceptions and hang onto our passes thrown on target.  It would be great to watch it. Too bad.

Butler, up to the Morehead game explosion, only had scored 105 points in PFL play.  Yeah, I know, so far we have only scored 106 so far, but they have also given up 204 to our 176.

bbtds

Some interesting facts in this write up from the Butler Athletics website:

Butler will wrap up its 2014 road slate on Saturday, Nov. 8, when it visits long-time foe Valparaiso.  The Pioneer Football League contest at Brown Field is scheduled for 1 p.m. (CT, 2 p.m. in Indianapolis).  The Bulldogs (4-5, 2-4 PFL) are looking to put together back-to-back wins for the first time this season.  The Indianapolis squad turned in its biggest offensive performance of the season last weekend with a 62-52 victory over Morehead State at the Butler Bowl.  That game featured more than 1,100 combined yards, and the 114 combined points were a Butler single game record!  Valparaiso (2-7, 0-5 PFL) dropped its last outing at Dayton, 42-19, last weekend.  The Crusaders trailed just 14-12 in the third quarter of that game, before Dayton took control with 28 unanswered points.  Butler and Valparaiso will be continuing a series that dates back to 1927 and has been contested through four different conferences.  The two teams have met on the football field 72 previous times, including every year since 1951.  Following the trip to Valparaiso, Butler will close out the regular season at home  against Dayton on Saturday, Nov. 15.           

Butler has won three straight games at Brown Field.

http://butlersports.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/releases/20141105ge4slu

usc4valpo

What a turnaround it would be for Valpo if they could win this game! Last year they lost 72-12 at Butler.  Valpo is better and at home,  Butler is not as good as last year.  It could be a W but I would not bet my ranch on it.

vu72

The staff and players are getting fired up.  I received an email from a coach asking me (and all the other former players) for inspirational quotes which will be printed and posted in the locker room.  Didn't think I'd should use "Buck Fulter" but did add something not quite so inspired!  GO VALPO!! 

usc4valpo

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 07, 2014, 05:24:59 PM
this peptalk from Bill Murray always gets me fired up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Q1fDf0GeY

well if you're going to go there again so am i.

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 05, 2012, 11:44:52 AM
Then I have to reprise my role ;)

John Winger: Cut it out! Cut it out! Cut it out! The hell's the matter with you? Stupid! We're all very different people. We're not Bulldogs. We're not Camels. We're Crusaders, with a capital 'C', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the Middle East. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt. Who saw "The Shot?" Who cried when Bryce hugged his dad at the end?
[raises his hand]

John Winger: *sarcastically* Nobody cried when Bryce hit The Shot? I'm sure.
[hands are reluctantly raised]

John Winger: I cried my eyes out. So we're all dogfaces, we're all very, very different, but there is one thing that we all have in common: we were all stupid enough to sign with VU football. We're mutants. There's something wrong with us, something very, very wrong with us. Something seriously wrong with us - we're football players. But we're VU football players! We've been taking asskickings since Em Bauer retired! We're 1 and 10! Now we don't have to worry about whether or not we practiced. We don't have to worry about whether Mark LaBarbera wants to have us hung. All we have to do is to be the great American fighting Crusader that is inside each one of us. Now do what I do, and say what I say. And make me proud.

*wow that was 2 years ago i thought just one these seasons are starting to all blend together
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

usc4valpo

"When you have confidence,
you can have a lot of fun.
And when you have fun, you can do amazing things."
Joe Namath

A coach that has followed this inspirational quote and has gone on to great things in college and pro football is Pete Carroll. Go Valpo and Fight On!

valpotx

It is surprising that this game wasn't picked to be on video.  I assume that it has to do with other Valpo events that would cause difficulty in setup of the system?
"Don't mess with Texas"