• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #10 - Vs. Butler Bulldogs

Started by VULB#62, November 01, 2014, 03:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Valpo is now up a notch in the Sagarin ratings (#250), and I would have thought they would have gone up more than that.  Progress baby! What a difference from last year!

Also, strange as it looks, USC is #20 in the Sagarin and the Frightened Irish dropped to #21 after their blowout loss to ASU. No love for ND in the Sagarin. 

I applaud Cecchini on his work and the progression of this team.  He has a tough job after Osteen's (Carlson's) mess and these guys are showing some confidence. These guys are playing more competitively, and with more talent, they will compete in this conference.

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on November 08, 2014, 06:24:55 PM

http://valpoathletics.com/football/news/2014-15/14090/hoosier-helmet-returns-to-valpo-following-17-3-victory/#.VF60LvnF8TA

I would strongly encourage all posters to watch the post game press conference -- all 17+ minutes of it (longest in VU FB history I think).  Listening to Coach C talk about their preparation and planning, the overall goals of the program, the realization that VU is still not the biggest fastest or strongest of teams and adjusting to that with smarts and discipline, tells us that we have a smart staff with strong beliefs in what they are doing.  Then listening to Ben, Tony and Alex give some player perspective also gives some great insight into how this program has changed over the course of just 10 games.

valpochgo

What a great game!  Valpo dominate on both sides of the ball and the play calling (like the QB punts on 4th down) was fantastic!  When I watched the Brown and Gold game last spring many high school football teams looked more impressive than Valpo.  Now they are a totally different team as the improvement has been amazing in such a short time.  If this coaching staff can recruit as well as they can motivate and coach than Valpo football future looks very bright! 

LaPorteAveApostle

BIGGEST win ever or BEST win ever?  Discuss.

Seriously, how far back do we have to go to find as meaningful a win?

This is important because:
--the rivalry, and how one-sided it'd become (2007)
--speaking of which, going from 12-72 to 17-3 is simply amazing
--Cecchini's first year, wanting a signature win (in-conference besides).  The numerical turnaround as noted above is nothing short of

--having come so close in recent weeks only to get gut-punched at the end (Drake, Campbell, esp MOREHEAD)
--did i mention we hate butler?  like i know hate is a strong word, but sometimes NOT STRONG ENOUGH?

What other ones rank this high?

Some candidates:
--Beating Campbell 34-31 in 2011 to break the 29-game losing streak.
--Um, beating Campbell all the other times, and...uh...

well, you have to go back to OCTOBER 11 2008 to find the last time we beat any D1 team not named Campbell (Davidson).

So, yeah, this is the biggest win in the past seven seasons. 

BONUS:  the win makes this already the best season in the past seven seasons.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

When you look at the two deep chart, there are very few seniors.  Receiver will be one slot that will need some replacements.  So, perhaps the talent level isn't that great but with another year of learning the system surely they will continue to improve.

I have to think that some success will only help in the process of recruiting.  Imagine you are a Valpo recruit and you are trying to decide between Valpo and Butler.  Last year you witnessed a 72-12 beat down and are trying to see how your contribution will help a team who has won three games in three years.  This year's recruit watched a Valpo team dominate the game and see a new coach who has actually done something relative to a turnaround. Now it's about "come help us FINISH the turnaround" rather then "come help us START the turnaround"  Much improved scenario...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

To follow up...

THE LAST TIME WE BEAT A REAL OPPONENT NOT NAMED CAMPBELL OBAMA HADN'T EVEN BEEN ELECTED YET.

This is YOOGE.

Also, to elucidate about Miss Nelson Has a Field Day, for those who have not (had to) read a children's book since 1985:
QuoteThe Horace B Smedley School football team, the Smedley Tornadoes, "hadn't won a game all year. They hadn't scored even a single point" (Allard, 6-7). Even worse than their lousy skills is the team's resigned and defeatist attitude, goofing off during practice with the attitude of "why bother trying when we just will lose anyway?". This causes Coach Armstrong to crack up, and Miss Nelson sends him on vacation to regain his bearings. ... But then Coach Swamp appears on the field and quickly puts the team in her control. Coach Swamp applies her trademark discipline to the team, demanding tough exercises and no back talk from the players. The team pulls together and sharpens their skills. When Coach Armstrong returns, the team was finally acting like a real football team. Finally, at the football game, the Tornadoes beat the Werewolves "seventy-seven to three", and a pleased Blandsworth treats the whole team to hot dogs at Lulu's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Viola_Swamp
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

In reality 72, I would hope these recruits decide on a school that best meet their overall needs, with academics hopefully being a priority. If Butler needs your needs for your future, then go to Butler. If Valpo needs your needs for your future, then go to Valpo.  Both schools have their unique positives and negatives, and academically overall they are about the same. Also, we are talking about non-scholarship football here. I would hope these student athletes do not decide on a school solely on a football program.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 09, 2014, 12:56:49 PM
To follow up...

THE LAST TIME WE BEAT A REAL OPPONENT NOT NAMED CAMPBELL OBAMA HADN'T EVEN BEEN ELECTED YET.

This is YOOGE.

Also, to elucidate about Miss Nelson Has a Field Day, for those who have not (had to) read a children's book since 1985:
QuoteThe Horace B Smedley School football team, the Smedley Tornadoes, "hadn't won a game all year. They hadn't scored even a single point" (Allard, 6-7). Even worse than their lousy skills is the team's resigned and defeatist attitude, goofing off during practice with the attitude of "why bother trying when we just will lose anyway?". This causes Coach Armstrong to crack up, and Miss Nelson sends him on vacation to regain his bearings. ... But then Coach Swamp appears on the field and quickly puts the team in her control. Coach Swamp applies her trademark discipline to the team, demanding tough exercises and no back talk from the players. The team pulls together and sharpens their skills. When Coach Armstrong returns, the team was finally acting like a real football team. Finally, at the football game, the Tornadoes beat the Werewolves "seventy-seven to three", and a pleased Blandsworth treats the whole team to hot dogs at Lulu's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Viola_Swamp

I'm thinking you need help.

Unfortunately I think you're half way to..............you know where.

valpopal

I have now uploaded a gallery of 40 photos, with lots to enjoy from the game and post-game celebrating, at the following link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157649152430016/

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 09, 2014, 02:56:55 PM
In reality 72, I would hope these recruits decide on a school that best meet their overall needs, with academics hopefully being a priority. If Butler needs your needs for your future, then go to Butler. If Valpo needs your needs for your future, then go to Valpo.  Both schools have their unique positives and negatives, and academically overall they are about the same. Also, we are talking about non-scholarship football here. I would hope these student athletes do not decide on a school solely on a football program.

I completely agree.  If you want to study pharmacy, go to Butler.  If you want to study engineering then perhaps Valpo is a better choice.  My statement should have been prefaced with: "All things being equal..."
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Congrats to the team and coaching staff!  I finally believe that the program is moving in the right direction.  This coaching staff has done wonders, especially on defense, where we've averaged giving up more than 40 points per game the last several years.  This year it is under 30.   

bbtds

I'm thinking next year WHEN we beat Butler we can hang a bulldog from the victory bell in effigy.

Or maybe install a doggy gate to Brown Field.

LaPorteAveApostle

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 10, 2014, 05:41:25 PM
Quote from: bbtds on November 10, 2014, 02:07:32 PMwe can hang a bulldog from the victory bell in effigy

I'm thinking about doing it from my mailbox. I'll just have to embed it in concrete first. Of course the neighbors will think I'm a cat lover.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

So, funny story tonight.  I'm at the parish tonight (HS youth min) and a lady walks in looking for our Adoration chapel.

I described it as best I could.  She says "Is it safe here?"

I gesture with a sweep of the arm meant to communicate the thought "look around lady this is NAPLES fergodsakes".

She says, "oh right sorry I'm from chicago."

Where?  I ask.  "Arlington Heights...but Lincoln Park before".

Oh, I say, I'm from Valpo.

"We were just there last weekend for the football game!" she says.

OH MY GOSH WASN'T THAT AMAZING?  WHAT A TOTAL BEATDOWN!!!!

"...well...actually," she says, "my son plays for Butler."

Whoops.

bbtds

Sherlock: Mrs. Linda Epstein, I presume.

http://butlersports.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/bios/epstein_bram_jiq1

It's a small world. At least she knew what the weather was going to be like.

LaPorteAveApostle