• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Police Arrests at Drinking Party

Started by valpopal, December 15, 2014, 12:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Usually our student-athletes are exemplary citizens, but this time some of them displayed not very smart behavior. WVUR reports that 26 of those arrested are VU athletes.  :(

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/police-arrest-at-underage-drinking-party/article_8590c2b7-6c56-57de-bf75-04537f720590.html

valpotx

Memories of my FR year 1999-2000, when one of my friends drunk dialed the police station from the Phi Sig house.  People were hiding all over as they shined lights into the building, and then entered.  I was hiding behind some type of false wall, thinking to myself, 'I didn't even drink, why am I hiding?'  Out of around 40 people, I was the only one who blew into the breathalyzer and walked free :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Wow, things have changed in 30 years.  Police would have been there to break up the party and make sure people didn't return, but arresting 45 under the age would not have happened, unless provoked.  100 people in a home that size, let alone the parking nearby, would be crazy.  I'm guessing that the landlord is now aware of the situation! 

I remember once attending a Memorial Day weekend party in my hometown of South Bend.  The person that invited me was a VU student, but not of age.  When I got there I realized it was more a party of her younger sisters - almost all HS students.  Being the only person of age, they wanted me to drive to Michigan to get another keg, as it was Sunday night.  I luckily declined.  The police showed up a few minutes later, with everyone scattering and hiding.  The police officer that showed up happened to be a HS classmate of mine, and we had not seen each other since graduation night.  We caught up for awhile outside until he got a call that needed his attention and drove off.  Not sure what would have happened today.

a3uge

"During the investigation, one woman fell from the attic through the ceiling onto the shower floor, police said. The woman told police she was not hurt and was released by police due to not registering any alcohol on her breath, according to police reports."

vu72

Guys, this is serious.  Four members of the men's basketball team?  That could include all the freshman and sophomores, many of whom are in the rotation. Three members of the women's team as well.  I think Alec Peters is dating Abby Dean and Tanner Kuramata is dating Jess Carr.  Not to imply that they were there but what if???  This could be really ugly.  My guess is suspensions for at least two games.  We could be very shorthanded.   :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Suspend them for the Dec 21st game and call it a day.

LaPorteAveApostle

Early Saturday morning?  Doesn't that make it game day?

Fer cripes' sake!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on December 15, 2014, 01:52:22 PMFour members of the men's basketball team?  That could include all the freshman and sophomores, many of whom are in the rotation. Three members of the women's team as well. 
If those involved were not found hiding or impeding the police in any way, I'd think a light punishment would be in order.  This would have been before the Ball State game, right?  If this were IU or Purdue with four players involved, it would have been all over the internet prior to tip off!

LaPorteAveApostle

(I'm at least glad none of them pulled a DYKWIA like you-know-who in my VHS grad class...)

vusupporter

Story on the Times site has been updated - now says two men's basketball team members.

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 15, 2014, 02:28:57 PM
Quote from: vu72 on December 15, 2014, 01:52:22 PMI think Alec Peters is dating Abby Dean
pics or it didn't happen

Not to start a controversy but he was sitting with a different female while watching the women's game. Maybe it was Abby's BFF......do-do, do-do, do-do, do-do.......
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vusupporter on December 15, 2014, 03:17:26 PMStory on the Times site has been updated - now says two men's basketball team members.
PANIC THE OTHER TWO HAVE BEEN KICKED OFF THE TEAM

LaPorteAveApostle

Post-Trib weighs in:

http://posttrib.chicagotribune.com/31672985-537/vu-football-players-among-45-arrested-at-off-campus-party.html#.VI9ft0tp-LA

QuoteDevan Gadson, 21, a VU senior and a defensive linebacker
At first I thought they didn't know anything about football, and then I realized they were describing his disposition upon arrest.

a3uge

Have a feeling one of the players is Damien Walker. He always takes one too many shots.

LaPorteAveApostle

This is how I imagine it would be if me and a3uge ever hung out.

here's what everyone else probably thinks it would be

here's what it would probably end up being

valpotx

Kids don't realize that arrests like these can cause you to miss out on solid employment opportunities in the future.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpofan00

wh

Something doesn't sound quite right here.  If 4 MBB players actually failed a breathalyzer, were handcuffed, taken to jail, charged with underage consumption of alcohol, and released, all in the wee hours of Saturday morning, why would they have been allowed to play that night?  I highly doubt that the basketball program has to wait for a conviction in a court of law to deem this to be a violation of team rules.  For example, what if instead a member of the coaching staff came upon a party and caught 4 players drinking?  That's all the evidence that would be needed to immediately suspend them.

So, why weren't they suspended for Saturday night's game?  Could it be that there is some question as to their guilt?  Or, could there be a question as to  whether what they did rises to the level of suspension? 

vusupporter

Guessing it was in actuality late Saturday night/early Sunday morning.  And as noted in the other thread, the Times story has been revised to just two MBB team members.

elephtheria47

have heard the two are Jubril Adekoya and Shane Hammink

HC