• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by valpo4life, March 24, 2017, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo4life

Figured we should start a thread to post any relevant transfers to our program. We all obviously know about Lexus, most have heard about Fazekas leaving Providence.

New transfer news: Per Jon Rothstein, Kanter is graduating and transferring from Green Bay. Pretty significant.

VU2014

Damn... that is a HUGE blow for Green Bay.

This grad transfer rule significantly impacts the MidMajor schools more then the Power Conference schools. It goes both ways but it significantly hurts the little guy more then the big schools.

M

Wow, that is going to hurt Darner and co.

valpo4life

Quote from: valpo4life on March 24, 2017, 11:10:00 AM
Figured we should start a thread to post any relevant transfers to our program. We all obviously know about Lexus, most have heard about Fazekas leaving Providence.

New transfer news: Per Jon Rothstein, Kanter is graduating and transferring from Green Bay. Pretty significant.

FAKE NEWS!!! Apparently he has told the coaches he is just declaring for the draft without an agent, but the feeling is that he's gone.

vu72

I thought {Paul Oren had indicated that Kanter was good enough to be considered for MVP next season.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

yayphoenixyay

Having watched every single game the kid has played at the collegiate level, there is no chance he is pro-ready. Not sure why he decided this year was the time to do it since his stock really couldn't be that high (he only started for 6 weeks with up and down results). Maybe eventually he projects out but not right now. If he wants to go, that's his choice, however, I really don't see how this benefits him. Not signing with an agent is a curious choice, too. You would think if he were that confident that he would sign with someone. Maybe there is a bigger story here, but as of a few days ago, Linc gave an interview and mentioned Kerem as the guy to watch for next year in terms of impact, so this surely comes as a surprise to him. We have to play the waiting game now, I guess, this is far from over.

oklahomamick

Can graduate transfers go to another conference team and play?  Are there any rules, or they can go wherever and play immediately?
CRUSADERS!!!

yayphoenixyay

I'm not sure on the grad transfer rule, my guess is that you can go wherever you want once you've graduated. However, he has indicated that he doesn't plan to transfer, only declare for the draft.

valpo4life

Quote from: yayphoenixyay on March 24, 2017, 01:00:06 PM
Having watched every single game the kid has played at the collegiate level, there is no chance he is pro-ready. Not sure why he decided this year was the time to do it since his stock really couldn't be that high (he only started for 6 weeks with up and down results). Maybe eventually he projects out but not right now. If he wants to go, that's his choice, however, I really don't see how this benefits him. Not signing with an agent is a curious choice, too. You would think if he were that confident that he would sign with someone. Maybe there is a bigger story here, but as of a few days ago, Linc gave an interview and mentioned Kerem as the guy to watch for next year in terms of impact, so this surely comes as a surprise to him. We have to play the waiting game now, I guess, this is far from over.

It actually makes sense for every single college player to declare for the draft without an agent. You then can go compete in individual workouts, get feedback from professional personnel, etc. If you don't like what you hear about your draft stock then come back to school and work on the parts of your game that you were told are your weaknesses. More players should take advantage of this. You have nothing to lose.

talksalot

Just like AP did last year... you can declare for the draft... go to the tryouts, get their feedback on what you need to work on (or be told you're good to go)... and then you can go anywhere you want.  AP made the choice to come back to Valpo... but he could have gone anywhere.  Think Brandon Wood and Izzo...

yayphoenixyay

The only thing any of us can really see him doing is going to Europe to play next season, if anywhere else but GB. No chance he is on an NBA court come October as anything but a spectator. Personally, I think he will be back, but like any self-respecting Wisconsin sports pessimists do, our board is acting like the sun just burned out. Like you said, Kerem doesn't lose anything, he's probably just testing the waters.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: yayphoenixyay on March 24, 2017, 01:00:06 PM

We can sympathize, Alec rightfully declared for the draft last year too.  It's designed to give feedback to edge players like Alec (last year) and Kanter this year.

I'm hoping he stays at GB, we all want a competitive quality conference.

yayphoenixyay

Now he's already saying, "I can definitely see myself staying here".... I doubt he leaves

VU2014

QuoteNow he's already saying, "I can definitely see myself staying here".... I doubt he leaves

Yeah I saw Scott Vecni's tweet. Such weird phrasing to say something like that. Venci said he is really concentrating on the Draft, but he's not going to get drafted. Whats the point of going through that process? Next year if he went back to GB and had another good season I could see him getting an invite to the NBA draft combine but no this year.

Do you think he wants to transfer or just wants to be done with school and go pro in Europe?

yayphoenixyay

He already said he won't transfer. He also made no mention of playing anywhere else professionally, just the NBA, so my guess is on the backout deadline, Kerem will return to GB

Pgmado

Quote from: VU2014 on March 24, 2017, 03:52:40 PM
QuoteNow he's already saying, "I can definitely see myself staying here".... I doubt he leaves

Yeah I saw Scott Vecni's tweet. Such weird phrasing to say something like that. Venci said he is really concentrating on the Draft, but he's not going to get drafted. Whats the point of going through that process? Next year if he went back to GB and had another good season I could see him getting an invite to the NBA draft combine but no this year.

Do you think he wants to transfer or just wants to be done with school and go pro in Europe?

What's the point of dating someone unless you know you're going to marry them? You get positive (or negative) experience that will help you in the future.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: yayphoenixyay on March 24, 2017, 04:09:03 PM
He already said he won't transfer. He also made no mention of playing anywhere else professionally, just the NBA, so my guess is on the backout deadline, Kerem will return to GB

Phoenix, what's your take on GB 2017/18?  If I remember correctly you graduated a large group of seniors.  What's the buzz around next year's team?

yayphoenixyay

To play Devils advocate and say he leaves, we will have no post presence unless we land a Juco PF named Vance Johnson. Our guards will be fine, Paul Turner will be an all conference dark horse. We also have Marquette transfer Sandy Cohen starting in December. We will be able to score, without Kanter we won't be able to rebound. If we do keep him, we could make a run at a conference title.

valpospartan

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 24, 2017, 01:10:21 PM
Can graduate transfers go to another conference team and play?  Are there any rules, or they can go wherever and play immediately?

Spike Albrecht transferred from um to pu.

bbtds

Quote from: valpospartan on March 24, 2017, 09:45:20 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on March 24, 2017, 01:10:21 PM

Spike Albrecht transferred from um to pu.

Michigan could have blocked that transfer to Purdue and initially Beilein did block it but then the Wolverines did not see it as a positive thing to do and okayed Albrecht's transfer to Purdue.

VU2014

Yes please. Grad Transfer from Michigan. We could use a stop gap Power Forward for a year while the young guys learn...

Scouting Reports:
Mark Donnal is a strong face-up forward who can shoot or even get to the rim from the triple-threat. -James Kerti (National Scout)

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66187/mark-donnal

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/846489990674591745
https://twitter.com/MaxBielfeldt/status/846483675772583943
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu5JAvVUGuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BoBEjQVT1g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-z1h_FpQk8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmLOzuUqdBU

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on March 27, 2017, 06:22:28 PMYes please. Grad Transfer from Michigan. We could use a stop gap Power Forward for a yea while the young guys learn...

Scouting Reports: Mark Donnal is a strong face-up forward who can shoot or even get to the rim from the triple-threat. -James Kerti (National Scout)
Maybe--- He doesn't take many 3 pointers and that might be a slight limitation for spreading the floor. Next year we could really use another deadeye 3 or 4 in addition to Burton. Not much 3 point talent coming from our new freshmen.

VU2014

Quote from: justducky on March 27, 2017, 07:26:36 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 27, 2017, 06:22:28 PMYes please. Grad Transfer from Michigan. We could use a stop gap Power Forward for a yea while the young guys learn...

Scouting Reports: Mark Donnal is a strong face-up forward who can shoot or even get to the rim from the triple-threat. -James Kerti (National Scout)
Maybe--- He doesn't take many 3 pointers and that might be a slight limitation for spreading the floor. Next year we could really use another deadeye 3 or 4 in addition to Burton. Not much 3 point talent coming from our new freshmen.

We have 3 scholarships left for next season. On USH Paul mentioned that Grad transfers and RS Transfers are the most likely targets to fill out next seasons roster:
1. Consensus seems Kiser will get one of the 3 scholarships unless we land a combination of can't pass up talents
2. Hopefully we land a guy like Ryan Fazekas who can RS next season but be an impact guy for the future (dead-eye 3pt shooter)
3. I forget who mentioned it but we may be hurting for a fully developed big who can rebound. Maybe Donnal could be a useful player for us for one year.

VU2014

Anyone think we could potentially lose anyone else to transfer this off-season? Paul just dropped a nugget saying more HL players are to come. Curious if he knows something we don't yet.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/846828318263558146
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/846825839220015105

VULB#62

Checked the 2017 Xfers list and found the following of interest: Matt Ryan (SO) Notre Dame 6-7 SF 3*-4*  HS - Iona Prep, New Rochelle, NY.  If he is homesick he has a whole bunch of NY and NE D-I schools to go to.  OR he might like to stay in Indiana about 30 miles down the road?