• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Suggestion Box on how to boost Student Attendance & Enthusiasm at Games

Started by Billy Co, January 23, 2018, 09:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusadermoe

Let's the student section DID embarrass him.   

You CAN'T say the bad team performance is key factor.  We had very poor attendance and energy from students last year.  That team featured a future NBA player and played a good early season schedule. 

General apathy and no proactive work by staff. indeed the Greeks are disappointing.   I am tempted to post my photo of Bakari shooting a free throw with score showing 70-54 fresh from our big 16-2 run.  Behind him across the ARC to the west are about 20 students scattered across the bleachers.  All are sitting or even reclining.  None have fallen asleep though.  Will probably post it soon.

vu84v2

Quote from: vu72 on February 13, 2018, 01:10:11 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on February 13, 2018, 12:36:11 PM
President Heckler was across the aisle from us in the chairback section at the IL St game.  He was not in his seat the second half.  Mayber the poor showing from the Student Body embarrassed him.     :)

I know he is often in the hospitality room entertaining guests and donors.

Which, by the way, is a primary function for his job.

JD24

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 12, 2018, 11:22:40 PMOk...a Torch story? . Fine.   But the horse has almost left the 2017-2018 barn in terms of a news story. Why not do the story next November...

Do it now. We might find out something we aren't aware of or, even if we are, maybe some steps can be taken to rectify the situation.

vu72

Here is the problem:  We aren't a very good team.  I watched the UNI-Evansville game last night and UNI, which was tied with us for last, drew 3346 to the game which is 47% of capacity.  I doubt there were that many at the game and there as no evidence of a student section at all.  They have historically drawn very well as have we.  I suspect that our fair weather fans may return (including the students) once we return to playing at a higher level.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on February 14, 2018, 09:16:15 AM
Here is the problem:  We aren't a very good team.  I watched the UNI-Evansville game last night and UNI, which was tied with us for last, drew 3346 to the game which is 47% of capacity.  I doubt there were that many at the game and there as no evidence of a student section at all.  They have historically drawn very well as have we.  I suspect that our fair weather fans may return (including the students) once we return to playing at a higher level.

This doesn't explain the lack of attendance last year when Valpo had a good team with an NBA player in his senior year. Last year the official home attendance average was 3086 and this year the average is down only to 2751. That team won 24 games and was 15-2 at home. Alec Peters' final home game, a senior night for Hamminck and Adekoya as well, only drew 3512 for a first-place team.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpopal on February 14, 2018, 10:24:22 AM

This doesn't explain the lack of attendance last year when Valpo had a good team with an NBA player in his senior year. Last year the official home attendance average was 3086 and this year the average is down only to 2751. That team won 24 games and was 15-2 at home. Alec Peters' final home game, a senior night for Hamminck and Adekoya as well, only drew 3512 for a first-place team.

You are talking about a pretty big gap, do you think that (on average) 300+ students attended games at any point in the last 20-years?  The student section holds maybe 125-150 students. 

I'm not going to blame a big gap like that only on students.  Welcome to 2018!  I only attended two games this year so far....2-hour drives have a lot to do with that but my point is ESPN3 is GLORIOUS!

That has to be a huge chunk of the 300+ declines.  Again, contributing not all encompassing.  And that is not going to change for the good, get ready for a net-net or decline in the future.  DONT BUILD A 6,500 SEAT ARENA, IT WONT FILL.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 14, 2018, 12:49:07 PM

You are talking about a pretty big gap, do you think that (on average) 300+ students attended games at any point in the last 20-years?  The student section holds maybe 125-150 students. 

I'm not going to blame a big gap like that only on students.  Welcome to 2018!  I only attended two games this year so far....2-hour drives have a lot to do with that but my point is ESPN3 is GLORIOUS!

That has to be a huge chunk of the 300+ declines.  Again, contributing not all encompassing.  And that is not going to change for the good, get ready for a net-net or decline in the future.  DONT BUILD A 6,500 SEAT ARENA, IT WONT FILL.

Actually, in 2008-2009, the student check in rate was about 500 per men's home game (students physically swiped their ID cards). I don't have the exact number, but it was high. That number was bolstered by 1600 (yes, one thousand, six hundred) who checked in for the Butler game.

The student section has 444 seats, if I remember the number correctly. It's in that ballpark.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: ValpoHoops on February 14, 2018, 04:01:24 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 14, 2018, 12:49:07 PM

Good to hear about the 500+, that's awesome.  But there is zero chance the student section holds that many.  Are they middle schoolers 😜

Actually, in 2008-2009, the student check in rate was about 500 per men's home game (students physically swiped their ID cards). I don't have the exact number, but it was high. That number was bolstered by 1600 (yes, one thousand, six hundred) who checked in for the Butler game.

The student section has 444 seats, if I remember the number correctly. It's in that ballpark.

VUCPB alum

As far as the pep band and Music departments relationship goes I never got the sense that the music department never tried to sabotage the pep band, they just never really promoted it in any way. I was in the top concert and the pep band at Valpo and Dr. Doebler (director of the concert band) never had anything against the pep, heck his son was in it for a few years, all he asked is that you show up to rehearsal. The issue is that all of the music groups only have 3 rehearsals a week and because there is no "music major only" ensemble they have to schedule rehearsals in the evening when all the other non music majors are out of class. During basketball season I would leave straight from band to get to the basketball games half an hour after call time for the pep band. This got rough especially in later years (when I was living off campus without a meal plan and spent my entire time on campus with out returning home until after my last campus event was finished) because I would spend 12+ hours a day on campus during basketball days with only eating breakfast before 10 and eating dinner after 9. So moral of the story is is that the time commitment of being in pep band and a music ensemble is not something that most students can commit to

Just Sayin

God, I thank you that I am not like other people--especially those fair-weather fans.

4throwfan

I saw some videos of past games, and noticed how lively the student section, and then I realized why students don't come to games.  It's because they're bored at the games.  They're bored at the games because they themselves are boring people.  Historically, for the students, the game itself is only half of the entertainment.  The other half comes from their own antics and good times.  Since these students don't know how to make their own fun, then the game experience is only half the fun that it was in years past.  I cannot imagine this student crowd doing some of the things that the students did just a few years ago.  I honestly don't think that they understand that no fun will come as a group if everyone in the group is texting.

So, my suggestion for the suggestion box in getting better student attendance is to either 1) get new students, or 2) show the students that the missing fun needs to come from themselves.  Maybe ask them to put down the phones for a minute, and then show on the video board videos of past experiences - that it is possible to make one's own fun.  Those videos are on Youtube.

VU2014

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/964626293835948033

Paul Oren: "Coach what do you think of the crowds this season?"

Coach Lottich: "I think the home games have been good this year."

My reaction:

Pretty telling when the Coach even comments on how piss poor the student section has. How hard is it not sit. Sit during half time.

NativeCheesehead

Students are what students are. While some general criticism is warranted, I hate to fall into the trap of telling current students how they should act, because I didn't like it when I was a student and people complained about "Were gonna best the hell outta you." 

Again, what is needed is a PROactive response to the issue, for student leadership to sit down with someone from the athletics staff and someone from the coaching staff and start to work on next year now.

a3uge

Honestly beer and some tailgate parties before-hand would go a long way. It's understandable students don't want to watch their their team score only 50 some points or see 55 free throws between the two teams. The student section will come back with better play, but in the mean time, the athletics department should try to make it more worthwhile for students to come.

M

Until we play better the athletic department should offer them free tickets, free shirts, free sandwiches, free pizza, chance to win concert tickets.....oh right they already do that. 🤷‍♂️

VU2014

Quote from: a3uge on February 16, 2018, 06:28:03 PM
Honestly beer and some tailgate parties before-hand would go a long way. It's understandable students don't want to watch their their team score only 50 some points or see 55 free throws between the two teams. The student section will come back with better play, but in the mean time, the athletics department should try to make it more worthwhile for students to come.

Not a awful idea. I wonder if the University would ever embrace pre-gaming party at a bar for fans and Junior and Senior students who are over the age of 21, then have a bus take fans/of age students to the arena. Make the it an event. I bet you that would boost attendance.

I had friends who went to Marquette who had this set up before weekend games. I tagged along one time and it was a good time.

VUBBFan

Finally in the last game of the season, it looked like the students were having some fun in the stands

VU2014

Quote from: VUBBFan on February 24, 2018, 11:20:07 PM
Finally in the last game of the season, it looked like the students were having some fun in the stands

It looked like a pretty solid turnout in the student section. But once again it sounds like there were students scattered around the ARC.

In ML's interview with Paul and Parker on Union Street Hoops he floated the idea of moving the students or maybe the band behind the opposing teams bench. Loyola just made that switch this year and they saw increased turnout. I'm sure the increased turnout probably has more to do with Loyola's success this season but they seem be pulling out all the stops to get their students to turnout.

I'm not sure if it makes good business sense to give those seat behind the benches to students, because I believe those seats could be sold for a higher price. I know they usually put the opposing fans behind their bench, maybe consider moving them somewhere else and be less accommodating. I kind of like the idea of putting the band right behind the opposing teams bench to make it loud and annoying. Make them as uncomfortable as possible.

VU2010

After listening to Mark LeBarbara say he'd consider moving the student section to the middle of the court (Section C), I was rather offended. As a season ticket holder in section C myself, there are A LOT of season ticket holders around us. And, we are very involved. So, let's move our seats elsewhere, despite paying for them, to potentially have them not taken up by students who aren't attending games? Brilliant marketing move, said no one ever. Really hurts. Season ticket holder appreciation night, for instance, we received what? A generic thank you on the board. Best case scenario for his plan, students come to the games and fill up section C. Then, what? Spectators paying $12/game who are going to be competing to sit in sections B and D won't be able to see unless they too stand. Paul Oren recognized how many longtime season ticket holders sit in the chair backs, but what about those of us who would have our seats taken? Here's an idea: talk to us as well. We've proven our commitment to the program. Rather discouraging...

M

Sounds like it's just an idea he floated out there...like arming teachers. It's an idea that can be discussed but most definitely shouldn't be the solution.

VU2014

Quote from: VU2010 on February 25, 2018, 08:47:12 AM
After listening to Mark LeBarbara say he'd consider moving the student section to the middle of the court (Section C), I was rather offended. As a season ticket holder in section C myself, there are A LOT of season ticket holders around us. And, we are very involved. So, let's move our seats elsewhere, despite paying for them, to potentially have them not taken up by students who aren't attending games? Brilliant marketing move, said no one ever. Really hurts. Season ticket holder appreciation night, for instance, we received what? A generic thank you on the board. Best case scenario for his plan, students come to the games and fill up section C. Then, what? Spectators paying $12/game who are going to be competing to sit in sections B and D won't be able to see unless they too stand. Paul Oren recognized how many longtime season ticket holders sit in the chair backs, but what about those of us who would have our seats taken? Here's an idea: talk to us as well. We've proven our commitment to the program. Rather discouraging...

I doubt they'll displace any season ticket holders or even make that switch. ML just said everything is on the table. There is no harm in discussing it but I think once they weigh the pros/cons it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Thoughts on putting the band in Section E? Yea or nay?

Ideally I'd love for sections: A, B, C, D, and E to get chairbacks in the near future and add chairbacks or maybe pullout bleachers where the concessions endzone is to make the ARC more aesthetically pleasing.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on February 25, 2018, 02:56:21 PM
Quote from: VU2010 on February 25, 2018, 08:47:12 AM

I doubt they'll misplace any season ticket holders or even make that switch. ML just said everything is on the table. There is no harm in discussing it but I think once they weigh the pros/cons it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Thoughts on putting the band in Section E? Yea or nay?

Ideally I'd love for sections: A, B, C, D, and E to get chairbacks in the near future and add chairbacks or maybe pullout bleachers where the concessions endzone is to make the ARC more aesthetically pleasing.

Mark LaBarbera's paraphrased response from Summer, 2017 interview when asked about possible future ARC enhancements: "Heckler and I haven't even talked about it."

pipe dream
n a fanciful or impossible plan or hope
[alluding to dreams produced by smoking an opium pipe]

valpospartan

I don't recall ever seeing a pep band located behind the visitor's bench.  So would the Crusaderettes then be in front of the visitor's bench?  Of course not.  I wonder if The Valley would even allow it?   
IMHO, this is a nonworkable idea.

M

I agree...no way they put the band behind the either bench.

I do remember being entertained when the band would walk on the court and point their instruments right at the enemy huddle during a timeout.