• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bryce Drew's first official game as coach

Started by valpopal, November 08, 2011, 02:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Here is a nice piece from CBS Sports about Bryce's first official game as head coach. I will be curious to see the blue shirts at the first home game.

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/33193793?source=rss_blogs_NCAAB

Also, with the two exhibition games and now the first official game, I think we are beginning to see an initial difference from Homer's style. Bryce appears to have the team playing at a more upbeat pace, looking for fast breaks whenever possible. I like this. In the past, especially against a team like Arizona, Valpo tended to hold the ball longer, sometimes finally having to hurry before the shot clock expired. I think with the quickness of Buggs and Bryce's apparent intent to be more aggressive, we will see a more energetic team this year. I also think Valpo will get to the foul line more often this year. However, we will need to cut down the turnovers. Also, it would help if we had all our players eligible, since the faster pace can be difficult when the depth isn't fully there to provide adequate rest for the starters.

vuweathernerd

indeed a good article. typhoon and i were commenting on his choice in attire last night, but the explanation makes sense.

katz blogged about bryce and last night's game as well.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/7205114/valparaiso-bryce-drew-begins-head-coaching-career-college-basketball

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on November 08, 2011, 02:16:13 PM
Also, it would help if we had all our players eligible, since the faster pace can be difficult when the depth isn't fully there to provide adequate rest for the starters.

It was a little rough to have them commenting on ESPN about only traveling with 9 scholarship players... without even saying why.

tommydee46

Why did the team get in so late to Tuscon?  Trying to save $$ as usual!

agibson

FWalum

Thought this was a very interesting quote from Katz "The most talented player on the team isn't eligible. Jamaican native Vashil Fernandez stands 6-foot-10 and weighs 220. He is long and can affect the game in a major way, but no one around the program knows if and when he'll be eligible."

I hope that he is right on the talent part of the quote. Does anyone have any idea what the NCAA is investigating?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on November 09, 2011, 07:19:47 AM
Thought this was a very interesting quote from Katz "The most talented player on the team isn't eligible. Jamaican native Vashil Fernandez stands 6-foot-10 and weighs 220. He is long and can affect the game in a major way, but no one around the program knows if and when he'll be eligible."

I hope that he is right on the talent part of the quote. Does anyone have any idea what the NCAA is investigating?

Seeing that Katz hasn't been to practice, I presume he got that idea from a coach.  I'll presume further that that coach knows something about basketball!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

I have no idea what's going on in this case, but I do sympathize with the direction on the other thread to wonder if we can "reform" the NCAA.  It's one thing if there are particular difficulties with one case (problems getting, or translating transcripts, etc.). But, it seems to frequently drag on into the season.

It does seem like something could be done to speed it up.  Is the process not starting early enough?  Is some sort of pre-screening possible, before a player officially signs with a team?  Are more personnel needed?  The NCAA tournament does generate a certain amount of revenue, which could perhaps be applied...

Maybe there's not really a "problem", and we just dwell on the possibly small percentage of cases which drag on into the season.  But, if this is an issue of general bureaucracy, and no specific problem with Fernandez's file, it does make you wonder what a better system could look like.

vuweathernerd

i don't know if this has been asked and answered or not, but can fernandez still practice even though he's not eligible? my memory's being problematic this morning.

swiftmutiny

I'm pretty sure he has been practicing with the team but is currently not eligible to play in games.