• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Hopefully it isn't anything remotely similar in offense to what Jimmie Miles got caught up in.  Maybe the school is like Baylor, and doesn't allow opposite sex visitors after a certain hour ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Arizona State upset Arizona in 2 OT!
aka
50 minutes played and no Richie Edwards sightings.

At least he'll get to tag along to the Dance.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 15, 2014, 09:37:18 PM
aka

Don't understand the transfer to ASU in terms of a basketball perspective. He probably wanted to party it up and little ol' Valpo wasn't good enough.

StlVUFan

Quote from: classof2014 on February 15, 2014, 09:46:23 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 15, 2014, 09:37:18 PM
aka

For whatever reason, he wasn't comfortable at Valpo.
Don't understand the transfer to ASU in terms of a basketball perspective. He probably wanted to party it up and little ol' Valpo wasn't good enough.

valpotx

People forget that 2 seasons ago, they were TERRIBLE.  When he left Valpo, he was probably figuring that he could get PT there.  They ended up good last year and this year, thus a bad decision in retrospect
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

It almost never works out, it seems, when a high quality mid-major players jumps into the bigger pond. I think if Wood wanted to play in the NBA he would've been better off at Valpo putting up huge numbers, than being a good player at Michigan State. Not saying he would've made it to the NBA at Valpo but I think average 22 points a game, a couple assists, and rebounds, and being the best player in the league would've given him a better shot at the NBA than going to MSU. Yes, if he would've been the best player on MSU he would've been drafted but he wasn't.

Saw the same thing with Julius Mays of Wright State two seasons back. He was a great player, went to Kentucky and was a good player, not a great player.

If Norris Cole would've transferred to Ohio State from Cleveland St after his sophomore or junior year, he probably would've never won two NBA championships. He probably would've been good at Ohio State, but not great like he was in the HL.

Sometimes you're better off being a big fish in a medium sized pond, like the Horizon League.

wh

I see that Chris Halvorsen is a 5th year senior on the Concordia basketball team. His bio says he graduated from MN with a degree in Biomedical Engineering and is now working on his MBA. Good to see he's doing well.

http://cugoldenbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=907

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on February 19, 2014, 09:34:45 PMGood to see he's doing well.
except for free throws 21 of 55 38.2 percent YE GODS i'd take vashil in a PKs situation

started 13 of 22 games.  averages 18.5 mpg
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Good to see Buggy playing well overseas. He has worked hard to get where he is now. Highlights of his recent game:

23 Points
10/11 FG
2/2 3 Pts
8 Assists
5 Rebounds
2 Steals

Erik Buggs Highlights Vs. Union Neuchatel 3/8/14

a3uge

Quote from: valpopal on March 09, 2014, 11:19:15 AM
Good to see Buggy playing well overseas. He has worked hard to get where he is now. Highlights of his recent game:

23 Points
10/11 FG
2/2 3 Pts
8 Assists
5 Rebounds
2 Steals

Erik Buggs Highlights Vs. Union Neuchatel 3/8/14

Impressive to see him playing so well on grass.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on March 09, 2014, 12:24:07 PMImpressive to see him playing so well on grass.
DANGIT YOU BEAT ME TO IT although I was going to make a "team handball" comment

historyman

Since Erik has got his shot falling he really has become the complete point guard package. Although there were a few games where Erik did hit some three pointers that made him really look good. The fact that the opposing team was not laying off of Buggs like they did when he was playing at Valpo says volumes about his new shot making ability. Too bad it never happened a lot while he played at Valpo.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Didn't know that Matt Bowen is now in his second season as a HC at the University of Minnesota-Duluth, leaving Bemidji State after 6-7 seasons:

http://umdbulldogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=50&path=mbball
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on March 26, 2014, 03:26:13 PM
Didn't know that Matt Bowen is now in his second season as a HC at the University of Minnesota-Duluth, leaving Bemidji State after 6-7 seasons:

http://umdbulldogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=50&path=mbball
Dwayne Toatley would make a good asst coach for Matt Bowen at Dwayne's other alma mater. By the way, basketball never leaves someone's blood. Mr. Toatley was playing for El-Amin's Fish House in the Twin Cities in 2007-08.

http://stevenssports.blogspot.com/2008/07/el-amins-fish-house-taking-on-and.html

Dwayne Toatley also stepped up and hits some big shots late in the half. The Fish did cut the lead to 3-points at the half.

valpotx

I don't know if it is mentioned in this thread, but Jared Nuness is a coach on Scott Drew's staff
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on March 27, 2014, 01:52:53 AM
I don't know if it is mentioned in this thread, but Jared Nuness is a coach on Scott Drew's staff

Nice!

historyman

Quote from: historyman on April 03, 2014, 01:02:10 PMhttp://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/files/boyslogs208.htm

Marquette HS boys basketball schedule
While looking at the MC Marquette HS schedule I noticed that the previous boys basketball coach for the Blazers was former Valpo MBB player, Jason Hawkins. He was at Marquette up till 2010. Jason has been the head coach at IU Northwest in Gary since 2011.

http://www.iunredhawkathletics.com/coach/11/1.php

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Didn't he just recently lose his coaching position at IUN?

LaPorteAveApostle

hey lay off my friend he's historyman not recentpastman

valporun

In reading the article, looks like the AD at IUN was more recent than Hawkins, and was the former head coach at PNC, so they'd known each other. I would guess the AD wanted to coach again, and with the losing record, and J-Hawk's contract ended, it was the right time for Kris Schnatz to take over the reigns again. I hope Hawk finds a better fit, sometimes the commuter/community colleges are a hard route to get started in the right direction, as administrations change at these schools with the weather and lack of money to keep a good administration happy.

LaPorteAveApostle

valpopal

LaPorteAveApostle

Season highlights! (if the first play doesn't hook you i don't know what will.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HwR3BxnXd0#ws

Fun fact #1--first ever D-league MVP none other than Ansu Sesay.

Fun fact #2--Howard's in the finals!  Best of 3, and they took the 1st game on the road tonight @ Santa Cruz Warriors.  Next game in FW, and 3rd too if necessary.  Howard played 41 min, went 10-20 for 23 pts, 8 reb, 8 ast.  Team won by 10 but was +25 with him on the floor!

Chairback