Clear all

Around the MVC

53 Posts
9 Users
4 Reactions
(@vok22)
Freshman
Topic starter

Missouri State to Conference USA. Looks to be for all sports. They wanted to be FBS in football. 

Posted : 05/10/2024 9:20 AM
 vu72
(@vu72)
Freshman

Interesting. They really didn't add much to the Valley with their underperformance.  CUSA is getting a basketball team in a real mess.  So who to add?  If the conference wants to keep the private / public ration then perhaps a private?  Lipscomb? ORU?

Posted : 05/10/2024 9:55 AM
(@azvalpo)
Freshman

Bellarmine would be my choice followed by Lindenwood. 

Posted : 05/10/2024 10:09 AM
(@azvalpo)
Freshman

Let me change that. Since I live in the Phoenix area, GCU. 

Posted : 05/10/2024 10:12 AM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

Looking around MVC fans the favorite is NKU. They don't want Oakland and Youngstown as their arenas are just as bad as the ARC and they have already vehemently displayed their hate for the ARC on my posts to the forum.

From my understanding the reason for their departure is purely football based. They wanted to be in the G5, and MVC used to be basketball only so their football conference is not that powerful. 

This post was modified 1 month ago by ReZyNeZy

Posted : 05/10/2024 10:17 AM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

Posted by: @azvalpo

I know this is a joke, but GCU would be a good splash to add.

Posted : 05/10/2024 10:53 AM
 vu72
(@vu72)
Freshman

Posted by: @rezynezy

Looking around MVC fans the favorite is NKU. They don't want Oakland and Youngstown as their arenas are just as bad as the ARC and they have already vehemently displayed their hate for the ARC on my posts to the forum.

From my understanding the reason for their departure is purely football based. They wanted to be in the G5, and MVC used to be basketball only so their football conference is not that powerful. 

It depends on how you define "powerful" in regards to football.  The MV football Conference regularly wins the FCS National Championship.  Teams like South Dakota State could beat all but just a few of FBS teams. Over the last two years they have lost one game--to Iowa, 7-3. They beat Drake 70-7!

Posted : 05/10/2024 10:54 AM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@vu72 I don't think leaving was a good decision for MO State. C-USA was not an improvement in my opinion. It does open thew door for success in football, and FBS dreams, but C-USA basketball is not that great. Given that unless you are a P5, you are running your football program at a loss, this move will eventually hurt more than help.

Posted : 05/10/2024 11:12 AM
(@valpopal)
Freshman

Posted by: @rezynezy

Posted by: @azvalpo

I know this is a joke, but GCU would be a good splash to add.

Grand Canyon is moving to the West Coast Conference for '25-'26 season

Posted : 05/10/2024 4:57 PM
(@azvalpo)
Freshman

I just saw that, good for both GCU and the WCC

Posted : 05/10/2024 4:59 PM
(@valpotx)
Freshman

GCU and Seattle to the WCC.  Stephen F. Austin likely going back to the Southland.  This move makes sense for Missouri State, as even though they have historically sucked at Football, they wanted greater things on that side.  I agree that their overall sports aren't what they used to be.

My vote is for either Wright State or NKU.  Don't give me this UMKC consideration crap again.  I do worry about Northern Iowa's plans, but they are an outlier geographically, short of wanting to spend a lot on travel in CUSA.

Posted : 05/10/2024 11:28 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

Posted by: @valpotx

GCU and Seattle to the WCC.  Stephen F. Austin likely going back to the Southland.  This move makes sense for Missouri State, as even though they have historically sucked at Football, they wanted greater things on that side.  I agree that their overall sports aren't what they used to be.

My vote is for either Wright State or NKU.  Don't give me this UMKC consideration crap again.  I do worry about Northern Iowa's plans, but they are an outlier geographically, short of wanting to spend a lot on travel in CUSA.

St Thomas in St Paul Minnesota is also a decent look 

Posted : 05/11/2024 12:12 AM
valpo95 reacted
(@vu84v2)
Freshman

St. Thomas seems like the best choice: new city for MVC, school seems positioned to invest, basketball program keeps getting better. NKU and Wright State deserve some consideration too...along with South Dakota State. I would like UW-Milwaukee to get considered, but they get almost no attention in Milwaukee and won't with Marquette and UW-Madison. 

I cannot believe the WCC schools agreed to take Grand Canyon. That conference has strong, well-accredited schools with really good reputations like Gonzaga, San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Diego. Adding Seattle makes perfect sense - similar accreditation and reputation. But how can a conference agree to add a school with such poor ethics and such a poor academic reputation (by accreditation, job placement, etc.). This will create some greater degree of legitimacy for a "university" that is highly illegitimate.

This post was modified 1 month ago by vu84v2

Posted : 05/12/2024 9:39 AM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

Posted by: @vu84v2

St. Thomas seems like the best choice: new city for MVC, school seems positioned to invest, basketball program keeps getting better. NKU and Wright State deserve some consideration too...along with South Dakota State. I would like UW-Milwaukee to get considered, but they get almost no attention in Milwaukee and won't with Marquette and UW-Madison. 

I cannot believe the WCC schools agreed to take Grand Canyon. That conference has strong, well-accredited schools with really good reputations like Gonzaga, San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Diego. Adding Seattle makes perfect sense - similar accreditation and reputation. But how can a conference agree to add a school with such poor ethics and such a poor academic reputation (by accreditation, job placement, etc.). This will create some greater degree of legitimacy for a "university" that is highly illegitimate.

Sports talk. It doesn't matter how GCU is in terms of academic credibility. Athletics are still the breadwinners at most schools.

Posted : 05/12/2024 10:02 AM
(@vu84v2)
Freshman

Not true. If you look at the overall financials of any university, the largest revenue source - often by far - is tuition. The next greatest revenue source is donations. Having successful college sports positively affects both of those. i love college sports and they do attract much attention to universities and help foster a great environment, but a competitor in college sports has to meet the pre-requisite of actually being a legitimate college.

Posted : 05/12/2024 11:13 AM
Page 1 / 4

Share: