Clear all

Branding Changes and New Motto

49 Posts
19 Users
19 Reactions
(@valpopal)
Freshman
Topic starter

As we get used to the new look of this message board, I note that the university has updated its branding, which includes a few changes. As expected and to the dismay of some, the nickname of Beacons and the dog mascots will remain. On the positive side, marketing has listened to many of us and finally seen the light: "One of the main switches, however, is halting the use of logos released over two years ago. These include the lantern and lighthouse icons. Instead, the shield will take center stage as Valpo’s identifying factor." 

On the other hand, I am not sold on the motto that has been introduced: "Grounded, We Radiate." This doesn't exactly roll off the tongue nor does it appear catchy and memorable. I am convinced some of our creative students could have imagined a more engaging phrase. There will be slight changes or additions to secondary colors (magenta and teal) and fonts. The new brand will begin to be seen around campus following spring break; but for some reason, changes to the university’s website won’t be complete "until the end of the 2024-25 school year."

This topic was modified 3 months ago by valpopal

Posted : 03/05/2024 10:56 AM
(@valpo04)
Admin

I have been looking at the branding page as I built and customized this site, and noticed the color palette had recently changed to this:

Posted : 03/05/2024 11:10 AM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

Posted by: @valpopal

As we get used to the new look of this message board, I note that the university has updated its branding, which includes a few changes. As expected and to the dismay of some, the nickname of Beacons and the dog mascots will remain. On the positive side, marketing has listened to many of us and finally seen the light: "One of the main switches, however, is halting the use of logos released over two years ago. These include the lantern and lighthouse icons. Instead, the shield will take center stage as Valpo’s identifying factor." 

On the other hand, I am not sold on the motto that has been introduced: "Grounded, We Radiate." This doesn't exactly roll off the tongue nor does it appear catchy and memorable. I am convinced some of our creative students could have imagined a more engaging phrase. There will be slight changes or additions to secondary colors (magenta and teal) and fonts. The new brand will begin to be seen around campus following spring break; but for some reason, changes to the university’s website won’t be complete "until the end of the 2024-25 school year."

They honestly just should have stolen the "We are Valpo." Motto from the High School. Already recognizable within the community and is simple enough. 

Posted : 03/05/2024 11:37 AM
(@usc4valpo)
Freshman

@rezynezy I want to take the Nick Jr. mascots and send them to the dog pound permanently.

Posted : 03/05/2024 12:42 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

Posted by: @usc4valpo

@rezynezy I want to take the Nick Jr. mascots and send them to the dog pound permanently.

If you were to choose a new mascot, what would it be?

I personally think they should have kept the knight theme. If they wanted a name change, they could have easily changed to the paladins and kept the knight.

Posted : 03/05/2024 12:53 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

I think it would be cool if the school sunk into the "Beacons" name a bit more considering its staying. Maybe get a torch like the Raiders have and light it for games, or how Sacramento has "The Beam". 

Posted : 03/05/2024 1:01 PM
(@valpopal)
Freshman
Topic starter

I am not sold on the motto that has been introduced: "Grounded, We Radiate." This doesn't exactly roll off the tongue nor does it appear catchy and memorable. I am convinced some of our creative students could have imagined a more engaging phrase. 

Additionally, why begin a motto with the word "Grounded" that has so many negative connotations? Grounded means a ship that has run aground. It is a term for a pilot who has lost his license. It is what happens to planes during bad weather. It is the act of frustration when a quarterback intentionally throws a pass away. It is a punishment for children and adolescents. It means to be left high and dry, stranded, etc.

This post was modified 3 months ago by valpopal

Posted : 03/05/2024 1:06 PM
valpotx reacted
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@valpopal They should have kept the Psalm 39:6

Posted : 03/05/2024 1:08 PM
(@vu84v2)
Freshman

Grounded? As part of a motto?  What are they thinking? As mentioned above, the word has positive and negative meanings. As using an antonym (soaring?) could fit better, that should indicate that grounded is a poor word to use in the motto.

I like emphasizing the shield...and would get rid of the dogs.

Posted : 03/06/2024 8:49 AM
(@rogerwilco)
Recruit

That motto is embarrassing.

Posted : 03/06/2024 2:49 PM
(@beacon92)
Freshman

That motto overall is not my favorite but I tend to feel that way about most marketing logos that try to be visionary and high end. but I do like that we seem to be moving towards more and more light based framing and in glancing over reason social media posts I will say the new color designs seem much more bright and engaging. They seem to going to with a slightly brighter yellow than before. Seems like it's pretty easy to just be like "we light the way" or " beacons for all" than the weird grounded we radiate phrasing which feels a bit too obscure for me. 

Posted : 03/06/2024 2:53 PM
(@humbleopinion)
Freshman

Given the recent proposed cuts, I wonder in what the university presumes to be grounded or how the grounding is supposed to occur.

Posted : 03/06/2024 3:14 PM
(@valpopal)
Freshman
Topic starter

Posted by: @rezynezy

@valpopal They should have kept the Psalm 39:6

Maybe it is being discontinued along with the Theology major and minor. 

Posted : 03/06/2024 3:41 PM
ReZyNeZy reacted
(@vulb62)
Freshman

Being grounded makes you radiate? Ummm….   😴😴😴

Posted : 03/06/2024 5:11 PM
ReZyNeZy reacted
(@whvalpo)
Freshman

I am not sold on the motto that has been introduced: "Grounded, We Radiate." This doesn't exactly roll off the tongue nor does it appear catchy and memorable. I am convinced some of our creative students could have imagined a more engaging phrase. 

Additionally, why begin a motto with the word "Grounded" that has so many negative connotations? Grounded means a ship that has run aground. It is a term for a pilot who has lost his license. It is what happens to planes during bad weather. It is the act of frustration when a quarterback intentionally throws a pass away. It is a punishment for children and adolescents. It means to be left high and dry, stranded, etc.

Trying to make sense of the new motto is painful. To your point “grounded” has too many negative connotations to stand alone. It needs to directly communicate something bold and positive that it’s grounded in. Just for illustration- grounded in faith, grounded in freedom, grounded in …something.  Thinking  

This post was modified 3 months ago by whvalpo

Posted : 03/07/2024 3:28 AM
Page 1 / 4

Share: