Clear all

Let's Pick a Fight: Conference Rival

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@vusolar)
Freshman
Topic starter

Valpo needs a friendly rivalry to pack the stands. 

How do we generate that fun environment? 

Who would you pick? 

I had Butler and Detroit when I was a student. @

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by VUSolar

Posted : 04/20/2024 5:36 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

I know evansvilel is trying to build a rivalry but UIC is the best bet. Close proximity, former conference opponents. Easy ro and from both arenas.

Posted : 04/20/2024 5:43 PM
(@e-villan)
Recruit

Posted by: @rezynezy

I know evansvilel is trying to build a rivalry but UIC is the best bet. Close proximity, former conference opponents. Easy ro and from both arenas.

We are?

No offense, but the only way an Evansville-Valpo rivalry would take place is if we are battling for a league championship..something I wouldn't mind at all. We are similar schools in the same state (sort of) with a history back in the ICC. Since the break up of the ICC 50 years back, there really hasn't been that much interaction prior to your invite to the MVC.

Rivalries are typically either competitive or geographical. Right now, we don't really have either. You all are much closer to UIC and have a history with them. We are about 2 hours away from 4 MVC schools. We have a 100+ year history with Indiana State including 30 years in the MVC and many more in the old ICC. There are lot of ISU alums in the area and they bring plenty of fans to the Ford every year.  Same for SIU and Murray. I haven't ran into a Valpo fan at a game here since you all joined the league.

Like I said, if we have a rivalry, it would mean we are both on the right track, which is a good thing.

Posted : 04/21/2024 11:44 AM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@e-villan Id look at twitter a little bit. A lot of people seem to be trying to pick a fight with Valpo from Evansville. (particularly the replies to Valpo Ls against Evansville). Some people just assume "Oh, In state = Rivalry". I dont really get why a lot of Evansville fans seem to want to be rivals but its just what I've seen. I always just assumed UIC was the go to for a rivalry considering geography and history.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by ReZyNeZy

Posted : 04/21/2024 12:38 PM
(@valpotx)
Freshman

It will take some time for us to have a true rival in the MVC.  As E-Villan mentions, that would mean Valpo is causing other schools issues, like we did in the Mid-Con and Horizon, when we were the team to beat on a yearly basis.  If that happens, I hope that we have mini-rivalries with each.  Right now, Illinois State probably hates us, as no matter how crappy our team is, they still can't beat us.  

Posted : 04/21/2024 1:58 PM

Share: