• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Possible Missouri Valley Conference Expansion

Started by VU2014, May 12, 2017, 10:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VALPO LI on November 19, 2021, 11:41:04 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 19, 2021, 01:46:43 AMAnd noooo to Arlington. Todd Golden nails it here. If we want to get into new markets there are far better choices than the ones rumored. Also Murray State is a must for the on court value they bring. https://www.tribstar.com/sports/todd-aaron-golden-mvc-needs-to-hit-sweet-spot-between-markets-and-good-basketball-fit/article_90adeba4-82af-509f-8768-22e6d6ff3454.html
Good read.  It makes sense to have the MVC concentrate it's expansion search within the Midwest.  UIC, Milwaukee, NKU, (maybe). Kansas City doesn't stand out for me either but location wise it works.  Does the MVC poach any other OVC schools SIUe, EIU, any of the remaining Tennessee schools or would Kansas City be a better fit for the Valley?  All just seem a bit blah. On a side note the digs keep coming towards Valpo's facilities. "...no one wants a repeat of Valparaiso, which hasn't made any significant investment in its facilities since its gained MVC entry." Keep plugging the holes in this sinking ARC.

I don't even fight the digs anymore. They're completely justified. We've done nothing to earn a reprieve from them so it's fine by me if they refuse to let up. Heck no to any OVC school outside of Murray State. They would all be worse adds than Kansas City and that's saying something. I don't know why NKU is your maybe on that list. NKU is the best add of them all outside of Murray State. And how well does Kansas City work if and when Missouri State finally decides to go FBS. Abandon that strategy with the quickness. Without Missouri State (unless Kansas City is added which is just gross to think about) Arlington who MIGHT be somewhat compelling if they show real commitment to athletics becomes even more geographically isolated (Yes I know air travel is a thing but still.) I get the importance of enrollment but we're kidding ourselves if we think adding KC and Arlington is going to fix our problems and I hate that this issue which won't even be solved by tanking the conference like this is taking precedence in realignment for the MVC. This was supposed to be a basketball first league and that's why I was so excited to join. Now it just wants to be a souped up version of the HL which is not exciting even if it is still a win for us to be here instead of the real HL.

usc4valpo

At the end, Valpo needs big cash donors for better facilities, which unfortunately are non existent.

valpo64

I agree it is time to do something with the ARC.  But as far as dollars expended goes since we joined the MVC, don't forget the baseball field and football field investments, along with the television studio upgrade. I believe the TV investment alone was over  half-million dollars.   Unfortunately the amount of money needed for those projects was a drop in the bucket for the amount needed to do something with the ARC.

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on November 20, 2021, 07:36:15 AM
I agree it is time to do something with the ARC.  But as far as dollars expended goes since we joined the MVC, don't forget the baseball field and football field investments, along with the television studio upgrade. I believe the TV investment alone was over  half-million dollars.   Unfortunately the amount of money needed for those projects was a drop in the bucket for the amount needed to do something with the ARC.

That was just for the basketball TV.  We are required to add video broadcasts from softball and baseball also and that might be another million.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on November 18, 2021, 11:57:35 PMnoooooooooo to UMKC

I know it doesn't change people's perspective a whole lot but UMKC knocked off Missouri, yes, the SEC Missouri in Columbia, Missouri, 80-66 this past Monday.

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/sports/mizzou_mens_basketball/mu-was-dominated-on-both-ends-of-court-in-ugly-loss-to-kansas-city/article_2209e99c-4674-11ec-bfd9-93b1834dd6d2.html

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 19, 2021, 01:31:02 PM
Quote from: VALPO LI on November 19, 2021, 11:41:04 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 19, 2021, 01:46:43 AMAnd noooo to Arlington. Todd Golden nails it here. If we want to get into new markets there are far better choices than the ones rumored. Also Murray State is a must for the on court value they bring. https://www.tribstar.com/sports/todd-aaron-golden-mvc-needs-to-hit-sweet-spot-between-markets-and-good-basketball-fit/article_90adeba4-82af-509f-8768-22e6d6ff3454.html
Good read.  It makes sense to have the MVC concentrate it's expansion search within the Midwest.  UIC, Milwaukee, NKU, (maybe). Kansas City doesn't stand out for me either but location wise it works.  Does the MVC poach any other OVC schools SIUe, EIU, any of the remaining Tennessee schools or would Kansas City be a better fit for the Valley?  All just seem a bit blah. On a side note the digs keep coming towards Valpo's facilities. "...no one wants a repeat of Valparaiso, which hasn't made any significant investment in its facilities since its gained MVC entry." Keep plugging the holes in this sinking ARC.

I don't even fight the digs anymore. They're completely justified. We've done nothing to earn a reprieve from them so it's fine by me if they refuse to let up. Heck no to any OVC school outside of Murray State. They would all be worse adds than Kansas City and that's saying something. I don't know why NKU is your maybe on that list. NKU is the best add of them all outside of Murray State. And how well does Kansas City work if and when Missouri State finally decides to go FBS. Abandon that strategy with the quickness. Without Missouri State (unless Kansas City is added which is just gross to think about) Arlington who MIGHT be somewhat compelling if they show real commitment to athletics becomes even more geographically isolated (Yes I know air travel is a thing but still.) I get the importance of enrollment but we're kidding ourselves if we think adding KC and Arlington is going to fix our problems and I hate that this issue which won't even be solved by tanking the conference like this is taking precedence in realignment for the MVC. This was supposed to be a basketball first league and that's why I was so excited to join. Now it just wants to be a souped up version of the HL which is not exciting even if it is still a win for us to be here instead of the real HL.

Who are these people criticizing the ARC? What schools are they from? Are they taxpayer-funded? What is their purpose? Are they embarrassed, like snotty neighbors who bought their oversized fancy house with family money? Or, maybe they're concerned that our recruiting is suffering due to our inferior facilities? Do any of these criticisms come from INSU, ILSU, SIU, or Eville, all of which have beautiful facilities and terrible bb programs? Help me understand...

may know

Just watched this video. It's the best piece I have seen on MVC expansion. MVC part starts 4-5 minutes in. Data-driven, unbiased, focuses on things that matter (see the alumni distribution maps). Worth the 20 minutes, IMO.

NativeCheesehead

Two things can be true:

1. The conference knew the situation with our facilities and we were still voted in. These continued attacks are misguided and offer no context to our situation. 

2. Our gym sucks.

valpotx

Let's go Murray State and UIC.  I agree with the top 2.  UTA is not going to drive what the MVC thinks it will.  It is a heavy commuter school, and no one cares about Mavericks sports in DFW, not even most UTA alumni (my wife).
"Don't mess with Texas"

RS

I would still like the MVC to keep an even number of public and private schools though. Murray State, UIC, Milwaukee, N. Kentucky or Wright State would be fine. But i would like an additional Private University also. Choices there are somewhat slim though. Oral Roberts, St. Thomas (MN), Detroit, Lipscomb and even Denver would be about the only choices in the midwest.

VALPO LI

Quote from: RS on December 09, 2021, 11:13:55 AM
I would still like the MVC to keep an even number of public and private schools though. Murray State, UIC, Milwaukee, N. Kentucky or Wright State would be fine. But i would like an additional Private University also. Choices there are somewhat slim though. Oral Roberts, St. Thomas (MN), Detroit, Lipscomb and even Denver would be about the only choices in the midwest.
I do too but the options are few and far between.
-Oral Roberts University would probably be the only possible fit.
-Detroit does not offer much.
-Lipscomb is in Nashville and I can't see Belmont wanting to share that market with an other MVC team.
-St. Thomas and Bellarmine are very green to D1.
-Denver to me is very far, over 1,000 miles away! (NYC is 750 miles from Valpo)

Shine on Vu

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

VU75

Quote from: VALPO LI on December 09, 2021, 02:16:07 PMLipscomb is in Nashville and I can't see Belmont wanting to share that market with an other MVC team.

Belmont and Lipscomb have one of the greatest rival traditions in college basketball called the battle of the boulevard going back over 60 years ago when they were NAIA .  The schools are actually on the same street about three miles apart.  They still play twice a year even though their in different conferences.

valpopal

usc4valpo

UMKC would be a terrible addition. Always been at the bottom of Div. 1 Sagarin ratings. If NW Misssouri St went DI, they would be a better choice than UMKC.

SFA would be a better candidate than any of those on the list, and may be influenced to leave the wacky WAC.

vu84v2

Quote from: valpopal on December 10, 2021, 09:14:05 AM
[tweet]1468989996765900803[/tweet]

UMKC would be an awful choice. Program has never had success in college basketball. Commuter school with no real campus identity. Any number of choices would be better.

Just Sayin

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 10, 2021, 09:37:11 AM
UMKC would be a terrible addition. Always been at the bottom of Div. 1 Sagarin ratings. If NW Misssouri St went DI, they would be a better choice than UMKC.

SFA would be a better candidate than any of those on the list, and may be influenced to leave the wacky WAC.

I don't think the MVC will be as patient as they claim to be if they select UMKC.

wh

Quote from: RS on December 09, 2021, 11:13:55 AM

I not only agree, the private school presidents should demand it. If maintaining a presence in the Chicago is that critical (and it may be), then add UIC and Murray State is out. If the most important consideration is basketball prowess, then add Murray State and UIC is out. Public/private balance trumps all other priorities.

VALPO LI

The Valley is going bananas  :dance: and not in a good way lol.  The Valley is at 10 if you add Murray St. or UIC who is the next private in?  Head east to Buffalo and pick up a private school there? I hear NYC is a big market why not pick up Wagner and make my dreams of a Lutheran cup challenge come to fruition.

In all seriousness I get the appeal of where UMKC is located but the program is just not Valley worthy.  I see Murray St. adding value to the league and UIC's location brings the Valley back to Chicago but if you are looking at keeping the private and public schools even stay at 10 and call it a day.  The Valley lost a good program in Loyola but let's not forget who is replacing them.
Belmont!!!!
Shine on Vu

wh

Quote from: VALPO LI on December 10, 2021, 01:54:00 PM
The Valley is going bananas  :dance: and not in a good way lol.  The Valley is at 10 if you add Murray St. or UIC who is the next private in?  Head east to Buffalo and pick up a private school there? I hear NYC is a big market why not pick up Wagner and make my dreams of a Lutheran cup challenge come to fruition.

In all seriousness I get the appeal of where UMKC is located but the program is just not Valley worthy.  I see Murray St. adding value to the league and UIC's location brings the Valley back to Chicago but if you are looking at keeping the private and public schools even stay at 10 and call it a day.  The Valley lost a good program in Loyola but let's not forget who is replacing them.
Belmont!!!!

To your point, time will show that Belmont will make a much bigger contribution to the MVC than Loyola will to the A-10. Belmont has sustained success over time, with different coaches, different players, and different playing styles. Peering through Loyola's window of success I see 1 former coach and 1 former player arm in arm.