• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Next Season and Beyond

Started by VULB#62, March 22, 2013, 08:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

I moved this post from the MSU string as it seems better to start a new string on this topic.

I was not able to watch the MSU game -- sometimes earning a living overshadows what I really want to do.  But I did go to ESPN.com as soon as I was free and saw this nugget:

The Crusaders (26-8) were no match for Michigan State in their first NCAA tourney in nine years, just as they weren't as a first-round loser in 2000 to the eventual champion Spartans.  Valpo had enough size to match up, but didn't have enough strength.

I also saw where most posters over the course of the season referred to B1G teams in terms of their muscle. I guess that was proven out today.  So lesson one is hit the weights more.

I also saw references to the "strength/muscle" of schedule in some post-mortems. Gotta agree there too.  Despite having an aversion to anything DUM, I think Senior did a good job of scheduling tough OOC opponents.  That's probably why, late in the season, they hung with Temple.  Of course it did not help them in the HL Tourney (I would like to think that our kids would have handled that differently).  We did not lose by more than 13 points to a seeded UNM, a seeded STLU, and a seeded MSU.  But we did lose to an Oakland and a Nebraska and we 'played nice' with Chicago State, IPFW, IPUI, and PURDUE CALUMET!?!?.  To be respected you have to go against respected D-I schools (maybe not the top 10, but certainly the top 30) and leave the 175+ RPI schools in our wake - forever.   That's lesson #2.

FWIW My Game Plan for VU BB in 2013-2014 and going forward includes 4 major building blocks:

(1) Put those skinny frosh recruits on weights starting TODAY (as well as our experienced guys - I want to see Capo and Vashil each with six-packs and 18+" arms). With strength and power comes increased confidence.

(2) Schedule-wise in 2013-14 we're good with UNM, Murray and STLU, but upgrade the rest of the schedule even more (but don't go nuts -- no Dukes, MSUs, UNCs, KUs, UCLAs -- at least not right away).  Trial by fire is the way to prepare for the post season.  And isn't it all about the post-season?  But we need to schedule solid RPI teams who will come to the ARC as well, which is what Bryce did this year with the UNM, Murray and STLU.

(3) Develop a killer mentality.  Be a fighter, but play composed. Steps #1 and #2 will help  a great deal in developing a hardened, confident squad that will not be timid in settings like the NCAA.  You can be Christian, but you can still crush an opponent.  After the contest is over you can help him up, pray together, and embrace him as a brother.

(4) Finally,  I love our kids.  My game plan includes "create a family."  And they've already got that down pat.  I hope they never lose that quality.

Thank you seniors; it was so good ta know ya.

But now it's time to look ahead to next season.  Any other ideas?

truth219

Personally, next season I think the wild card is Rossi. If he is 100 percent, he could be the best shooter in the horizon league.

vu72

62, you should know that these kids areon the weights ALL the time. Bob Brooks is a very good trainer and the high school kids?  Same thing.  Nobody take the season off.  Basketball is a year round thing.  Guys like Capo are just big.  He didn't come in weighing 200 out of high school and by training jumped to 250.

MSU wasn't bigger than us man for man but just in the two bigs where they were huge and will be bigger than everyone else.  You can't teach height or make a 165 6'5" kid into a 240 6'5" kid.

We will be OK size wise next year but skill wise, is a very different question.  Can Vashil progress to be a meaningful contributor?  We know what we'll have with Bobby and the word is that Adekoya is a beast on the boards, but only 6'6".  What will David Chadwick add?  He is listed at 6'9" 220, and from the team picture does look taller than Kevin. Beyond those?  We still have one slot available so perhaps Bryce can land another big body.  It will be interesting. 
given the nature of the Horizon, I doubt we'll be focused on having three bigs on the floor at any time.  More likely we will be built in much the same way as we were this last year.  A Broekhoff type (Alex Peters), A Kevin type (Bobby) and three guards.  Take your pick...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: truth219 on March 22, 2013, 08:47:25 AMhe could be the best shooter in the horizon league.

The Rotnei of VU--true.

We'd still have a solid rotation without any of the fresh frosh [or the next nickname i come up with!]:

1 Carter
2 Dority
3 Rossi
4 Vashil
5 Capobianco

with Coleman to spot at 1 & 2 and Chadwick to spot at 3 & 4?  Tell me at LEAST a third the HL wouldn't prefer that 7-man over what they have returning if they could.  Milwaukee would in a hot second.  Loyola loses two of their top three scorers; so does YSU.  UIC loses all 3.  Detroit loses 3 of their top 4 if Jr goes pro.  It's not like everyone else doesn't graduate people.

AND you add the freshmen.

And THEN don't forget we still have a scholarship available.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

tommydee

LaPorte AveApostle....you are way off and will leave it at that....we will have a few freshmen crack the starting line up!.........However, our concern is to keep Bryce Drew.......He should be receiving a salary that would put him in the top 2 or 3 highest paid coaches in the Horizon League.....believe he is in the bottom of the middle third if that.   Correct me if I am wrong.   

valpotx

I definitely think that we will still be a top 4 team, and it will just depend on how much our returning players improve over the summer, and how our FR contribute to get a higher seed.  I will take a 6'6" post player if he plays anything like Larry Owens did for ORU.  I believe Larry is 6'6"-6'7", and he was an absolute load to deal with throughout each game.

Vashil has shown some progress in a few games, but only had so much time to play this season with KVW/Bobby.  He has had time to watch what KVW and Bobby do in order to gain a favorable position, and you can see that he was definitely trying to do the same things.  He definitely needs to add some muscle in order to have the same effect as them though.   

Bryce should be the top 1-2 in the HL as far as pay...
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

Agree, I would bet that early on we will see 2 maybe 3 starting freshmen early on and probably 2 starters once Carter is ready to go.

Standing behind Adekoya and Lexus the other day, these are big guys.  Lexus had to be 6'1'' or 6'2'' I would have guessed Jubril to be 6'8''.  I'm excited that we should have a bit more athleticism/leaping ability/strength in this new group then we've had in the past few years.

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on March 22, 2013, 09:32:56 AM
these kids are on the weights ALL the time. Bob Brooks is a very good trainer and the high school kids?  Same thing.  Nobody takes the season off.  Basketball is a year round thing. 

I realize that. My point is that there are all sorts of weight programs.  These programs can be adjusted to derive specific results.  If strength and power down low has to be improved, then I'm sure Brooks and the staff will make that adjustment. For the HS kids, they are coming from various programs with varying degrees and quality of training regimens.  I'm also hopeful that Brooks quickly designs Valpo programs for these guys and gets them out to them (if he hasn't already) so that they can begin doing things the Valpo way even before setting foot on campus.

Despite having a very good nucleus returning, in my mind it's still kind of a clean slate for next year.  I noted some comments of how other teams are losing star quality players and that VU has a shot at doing pretty good again in the HL.  Are we at a point now in the program where we can truly say we are building for repeated NCAA appearances?  I think we are.  So I also think, that now is the time to enhance the existing 2013-14 schedule, further reduce opponents who don't test us or whose RPIs don't add to our resume, and alter what many had said at various points in the season was a lack of a killer instinct by challenging the team with a grueling OOC schedule.  The wins might not total 26 like this year but the ability to play tough, composed basketball at an even higher level night after night can harden a team for post season play.  Didn't see any feedback on that yet. 

With that in mind are there any rumors about upgrades/additions to the schedule yet?  Certainly with the fluid conference realignment issues, there will be schedule gaps all over the place for A-10, MVC, (old) Big East and (new) Big East schools.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: tommydee on March 22, 2013, 10:19:16 AMLaPorte AveApostle....you are way off and will leave it at that....we will have a few freshmen crack the starting line up!.........
Um...I actually said just that if you'd read carefully.  I'm saying even if they weren't coming in, which CLEARLY THEY ARE, we'd still have a pretty good HL team, and then when you add the freshmen...we're even better

sigh...reading comprehension/complex thought...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 22, 2013, 09:43:47 AM4 Vashil

Vashil seems like a fantastic guy, and I still think he has considerable potential as a basketball player.

But, it's hard for me to picture him starting.  Seems like his ball handling (not even dribbling, just catching, rebounding, etc.) needs to take a step up first.

mj

Taking a quick look at the Horizon League next year, I think we can agree Wright State and Green Bay will be the top 2 teams in the league. UIC and Milwaukee will probably finish at the bottom. The remaining teams (Valpo, Detroit, Loyola, Youngstown, Cleveland State) are a toss up for 3rd to 7th.

The freshmen are going to be key next year. We can't afford to have any major "busts". Hopefully we can get lucky and have 1 or 2 surprises (we can always dream about the next Gordon Hayward). Also, is Coleman going to be a Crusader next year? I could see him leaving the program after his lack of playing time at the end of the season. Finally, I think we need to use our last scholarship on a big man. I'm not sure if we want to go the transfer/JUCO route but I just can't see Vashil becoming a major contributor the next few years.
I believe that we will win.

VULB#62

2013-14 Schedule Questions

There are 15 OOC slots on the schedule.  Where are we headed?

Done Deals
@ Home
UNM,
St. Louis
Murray

What's the Deal?
Loyola Marymount -- they owe us one, right?
EKU - We go there in 13-14?
Nebraska -- was that a one and done or are we going back to Lincoln?

And.....?
NIU?
Georgia Southern?
Kent State?
Missouri State?
Bethune-Cookman?

Then.....?
Oakland
IUPUI
IPFW

Fugetabout...  please
Purdue Calumet

valpotx

I believe that LMU is contractually obligated to return the game next season, as they did not this season.  There is the option of doing it anytime in the next 2 seasons, I believe.

Georgia Southern, NIU, Kent State, and Missouri State should be finishing up prior commitments, and BCU was part of a tournament that we don't have to return.  The only SL team I would want to see is Oakland.
"Don't mess with Texas"

EddieCabot

Quote from: mj on March 22, 2013, 03:59:40 PM
Taking a quick look at the Horizon League next year, I think we can agree Wright State and Green Bay will be the top 2 teams in the league. UIC and Milwaukee will probably finish at the bottom. The remaining teams (Valpo, Detroit, Loyola, Youngstown, Cleveland State) are a toss up for 3rd to 7th.

The freshmen are going to be key next year. We can't afford to have any major "busts". Hopefully we can get lucky and have 1 or 2 surprises (we can always dream about the next Gordon Hayward). Also, is Coleman going to be a Crusader next year? I could see him leaving the program after his lack of playing time at the end of the season. Finally, I think we need to use our last scholarship on a big man. I'm not sure if we want to go the transfer/JUCO route but I just can't see Vashil becoming a major contributor the next few years.

I wasn't going to ask about transfers, but they do seem to happen at a pretty high rate.  I would think all the returnees will be in pretty good shape to earn PT next year, so I'd be really surprised to see anyone leave.

valpotx

I would imagine that Rossi and Coleman are coming back, as they have already transferred once.  I am not sure of any rules specific to this area, but I doubt that they would want to sit out a year before playing again.
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

OK, I watched some video of the new recruits to try to cheer up a bit.    I had not seen much live footage of Peters.     I think he will start every game for us next year.   Very strong and agile for his height and has a very solid outside shot.     He's a lock.   

I find it harder to evaluate guards.   But Carter and Williams definitely have a stronger "presence" driving to the hoop than any of this year's guards besides Kenney.   I haven't seen any good video of Jubril, but Peters likes him and has played with him. 

Peters looks like the "leader of the pack" in both ability and leadership traits.   

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on March 22, 2013, 02:59:07 PMVashil seems like a fantastic guy, and I still think he has considerable potential as a basketball player.

But, it's hard for me to picture him starting. 

Was it really that opaque?  All I was doing was imagining the lineup without freshmen.  Clearly, that will change everything.

Let's imagine Chadwick there, then, if it makes you feel better.  The point is still the same.

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 22, 2013, 08:20:15 PMWas it really that opaque?  All I was doing was imagining the lineup without freshmen.  Clearly, that will change everything.

Let's imagine Chadwick there, then, if it makes you feel better.  The point is still the same.

Well, you also called that line-up solid.  I wasn't so sure.

I have no idea what to expect from Chadwick - it'll be an interesting first couple of games next season, for sure!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on March 22, 2013, 10:28:20 PMWell, you also called that line-up solid.

"Solid" as in "dude, them's some pretty solid bassetball playas right there"

not

"Forsooth, let us solidly carve this lineup into stone henceforth!"

valpo84

Nickname for next year's frosh -- Young Guns II. Then I can use a sharpie on the old shirt and write in the 2.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpo84 on March 22, 2013, 11:41:48 PMYoung Guns II

That's certainly better than anything I've come up with, and so maybe since it's offseason we should dedicate an entire thread to picking a nickname for these guys.

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 22, 2013, 10:46:40 PM
Quote from: agibson on March 22, 2013, 10:28:20 PMWell, you also called that line-up solid.

not

Oh, I know what you meant by solid.  I was just saying, I'm not so sure Vashil's solid (yet).

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on March 23, 2013, 04:08:10 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 22, 2013, 10:46:40 PM

not

Oh, I know what you meant by solid.  I was just saying, I'm not so sure Vashil's solid (yet).

I cringe when you make broad statements like "solid." There is no way to tell whether Vashil, Chadwick and, depending on his health, Rossi will be "solid." There are way too many question marks about Valpo next year to say whether they will be in the top 4 or more towards the middle of the Horizon. I do think they are better than the bottom of the HL. I'm not saying that Valpo won't finish in 1st or 2nd place. I'm just saying there are question marks with the players the fans are depending on to be very good to pronounce them "solid" at this time of the year.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on March 23, 2013, 05:10:59 PM
i wasn't pronouncing it solid at this exact moment...there would be no point in it since there are no games for 7-plus months.  i'm pronouncing them to be a solid team come November, even without the freshmen.  i'm confident in Vashil making a leap. 

Can't teach athleticism.  You can teach how to handle it, and I think he's growing leaps and bounds, no pun intended.

jimdandy

Although the team this year did really well,I feel that with all of the talent and experience we had,we should have been able to win a couple games in the tournament
Tired of losing to the bcs schools
If we really want to take our program to the next level,like Butler has,we need to win a few of these games
Unfortunately it will now be a couple years for us to have a shot at getting in the tourney again,and even then I am not sure we will be as good as this team was