• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Oakland, Jan. 4th, 5:00pm CT Game Thread

Started by wh, January 03, 2014, 09:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on January 07, 2014, 08:50:46 PM
By the way, the Oakland TV broadcast team took "instant" replay to a whole new level in Saturday's game.  Every replay after a made Oakland basket was shown while the action continued sight unseen at Valpo's end of the court.  When they did return to live action, the camera was focused on the Oakland player who scored rather than the action on the court.  To avoid being unduly harsh to what might be college students doing the best they can, I'll just say that I've never seen that done anywhere else.
I've seen it tons of times watching HLN games at the Nutter Center, just to name one.  Oakland is hardly the only one that does that.

Yes, it is absolutely infuriating.  On that, I absolutely agree.

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on January 07, 2014, 10:26:15 AM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 07, 2014, 07:27:44 AM
The 2nd half at Oakland was nowhere near as bad as the 1st half against UIC.  The last 12.9 seconds still defies explanation from my point of view, but the game was pretty much over by then anyway.  It looked stupid, but it was not a choke.  What killed Valpo was Travis Bader feeling it from super long range.  I'm sure Valpo could have played better in the 2nd half, but it was hardly a poor performance.

I guess "poor" is in the eye of the beholder.  We scored 26 points in the 2nd half, our lowest scoring 2nd half this season.  We failed to score a FG for 2 4-minute spans after the 12-minute mark. Lexus and Jordan went scoreless in the 2nd half after double figures by both in the 1st.  We missed almost all of our FT attempts. If this isn't our worst 2nd half of the year it sure has to be close.
Ah, but it was nowhere near our worst half of basketball.  Tons of 1st halves were far worse.  I still consider this game to be a step in the right direction.

Oh, and we missed 5 of 9 FTs in the 2nd half, which is more like "we missed *half* our FT attempts."

valporun

Has anyone seen a full replay of the Oakland game on HLN yet? I would like to see the game, and it is after the January 1st start of replays date now. Where is the game? I can only see highlights on the app.

EddieCabot

Quote from: valporun on January 08, 2014, 05:17:25 PM
Has anyone seen a full replay of the Oakland game on HLN yet? I would like to see the game, and it is after the January 1st start of replays date now. Where is the game? I can only see highlights on the app.

I can't find a direct link, but I just went to this page http://www.horizonleague.org/video.html and it was 11th video listed.  Right next to the highlights from the game.  Hope that helps.

valpopal

Tonight against Milwaukee Bader went 0-9 on field goals. As hot as they were against Valpo, Bader and Mondy were frigid against Milwaukee. The two were a combined 0-14 from the 3-point line as the Panthers won at Oakland. What a difference!  ???

a3uge

Quote from: valpopal on January 08, 2014, 08:39:09 PM
Tonight against Milwaukee Bader went 0-9 on field goals. As hot as they were against Valpo, Bader and Mondy were frigid against Milwaukee. The two were a combined 0-14 from the 3-point line as the Panthers won at Oakland. What a difference!  ???

Live by the three, die by the three. Inconsistent in that they can lose/beat anyone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

valpotx

By the way, what kind of BS is it that our game at Oakland was the only one that had their band next to our players?  They have to change it for all future conference home games.  The HL wasn't able to view any other games of theirs before ours, to make them adhere to the league rules?  I know that it didn't cause us to lose, but you have to think it put us at a little more of a disadvantage in hearing our coach, versus what other HL teams will now be up against. 

Anyone have any idea in regards to their PA guy saying, 'you can't do that,' and crap like that?  That seems like taunting by an official from the home school, which I have to imagine is against league rules as well?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

Oakland behaves and acts like a low mid-major league member like the  the Summit League

valporun

Thanks, Eddie. I guess the app is unreliable for getting game replays?

wh

Quote from: valpo64 on January 09, 2014, 03:31:57 PM
Oakland behaves and acts like a low mid-major league member like the  the Summit League

...and, where's the enthusiasm from their fan base for their new league?  They drew 1427 last night against Milwaukee.

Here's how we drew at home against conference opponents in our first year:

3945 Milw
4197 GB
4008 UIC
4578 Loyola
5432 Butler
3338 CSU
3689 YSU
3110 Detroit
4935 WSU

Isn't the first year of a new marriage supposed to be the best? 

EddieCabot

Oakland's home attendance of 2,882 per game doesn't look bad until you realized they drew more fans for their "home" game at The Palace vs. MSU than they have in the other 8 home games at the O'rena.  Looks like 1,000 to 1,500 is their norm ... 2,700 for the Valpo game is a clear outlier at this point.

vu72

Quote from: EddieCabot on January 09, 2014, 06:04:22 PM

Oakland's home attendance of 2,882 per game doesn't look bad until you realized they drew more fans for their "home" game at The Palace vs. MSU than they have in the other 8 home games at the O'rena.  Looks like 1,000 to 1,500 is their norm ... 2,700 for the Valpo game is a clear outlier at this point.

Their gym looks pretty small but couldn't find any capacity stats on line. Anybody know??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on January 09, 2014, 06:59:52 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on January 09, 2014, 06:04:22 PM

Their gym looks pretty small but couldn't find any capacity stats on line. Anybody know??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_Center_O'rena

Nice place to see a game.  Not a bad seat in the house.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on January 09, 2014, 07:10:31 PMNot a bad seat in the house.
we'll see if their band continues to agree with that statement...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

For anyone who wants to spend their Friday afternoons trolling opposing coaches, i give you LIVE CHAT!!!

12 PM (CST)  Ray McCallum
http://live.freep.com/Event/Chat_with_UDM_basketball_coach_Ray_McCallum_3

and

1 PM (CST)  Greg Kampe
http://live.freep.com/Event/Chat_with_Oakland_U_basketball_coach_Greg_Kampe_5

you're welcome ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Oudrummer

Things are no different in the Orena than the last 4-5 years you guys have been in there except now the logos are horizon teams and the band had to move. Athletics has dropped the ball substantially and attendance has suffered at home. The difference is almost no student involvement. I'm an alum who has enjoyed playing you guys for over 10 years now and look forward to a continued rivalry. Come to the Orena some time. As someone said, not a bad seat in the house and a nice venue.

LaPorteAveApostle

McCallum chat highlights (if this was one of you guys I want to give you a high five):

QuoteShould Ray Jr. have stayed at U-D rather than sit on the bench in Sacramento?
by mrfrisky 1:14 PM

It was a goal and dream of his to play at the next level and he is happy with his choice. As his father and his coach, I supported his decision
by Coach Ray McCallum 1:16 PM
EDIT: can't miss a chance to post:
6 GP, 2.5 min avg, 2 points on 1-7 shooting

He also addressed the recent impactful news of Chris Jenkins, a transfer from Colorado (whose only notable basketball alum I can think of is Chauncey Billups):
Chris is a versatile player and is on our official roster. He is strong and a good all-around defensive player. He comes from a great program and we're excited to have him join the UDM family.
by Coach Ray McCallum 1:09 PM
http://www.detroittitans.com/news/2014/1/8/mbb_0108143937.aspx

remains to be seen if he's eligible immediately...

LaPorteAveApostle

Kampe chat highlights:
QuoteWith a new, tougher conference schedule, will you be keeping the same style of brutally tough non-conference schedule
?
by davidlingholm 2:06 PM

No, I hope to back it down from 6-7 BCS games to about 4. We're still going to try and play a difficult schedule against great BCS teams, in the toughest, best arenas in the country, just not as many in a given year.
by Coach Kampe 2:07 PM

QuoteIs Ryan Bass back with the team?
by Grizz 2:09 PM

When will Ryan Bass begin playing?
by OU Alumni 2:09 PM

A press release will be going out later today on Ryan. I will be quoted in it, so I need to wait until that comes out before I can say anything about it.
by Coach Kampe 2:10 PM

Is [sic] there any confirmed teams for next years schedule
?
by Grizz 2:14 PM

Iowa State and MSU on the road, and we are hosting an exempt tournament for the first time ever, which includes Chicago State, Georgia State (yes the return of shoeless Ron Hunter), and Western Carolina, all
visiting the O'rena in November. THREE November home games! And Toledo will be coming in as well that month.
by Coach Kampe 2:16 PM

QuoteAs we saw last game, Bader was getting good looks and they just weren't dropping, how do you adjust your game plan and play calls based on that since Bader is such a huge part of the offense?
by Ben Burrus 2:19 PM

Bader only took 9 shots in the last game. We like it when teams play him like that, it allows us to play 4-on-4 with the other guys. Unfortunately in the last game, everyone else was a combined 21-60. We got good looks, good shots, we just didn't make them. At no point do I want to think we will win or lose based on Travis Bader. We need to win when he's making shots and we need to win when he's missing shots. At one point in that game we led by 11 and he hadn't even taken a shot.
by Coach Kampe 2:21 PM
ben burrus?  I know a ben burrus!?!?
I was at the Valpo game, what a great comeback against a solid Valpo team but also a very very young team. How does the OU coaching staff and recruiting team prepare for future recruiting when you see the level Valpo and other young teams could be playing at in a couple of years. How does OU recruiting stay competitive?
by Ben Burrus 2:29 PM

Excellent question. Our first time through this league is going to give us a barometer on what we have to do to become a constant top tier team in the HL. It's scary how good Valpo's freshmen are. I do love our freshman though, two of them you have not seen due to injuries. No one said this was going to be easy and we understand that recruiting is going to be the key. We have doubled our recruiting budget and we are hard at work on it.
by Coach Kampe 2:31 PM

LOLOLOL I WANT TO GET THIS GUY A FREE BEER
Coach, only four Division 1 wins so far this season? Are you concerned about missing the Horizon League tournament?
by Dave 2:36 PM

Uh, Dave. Unless there's something I don't know, everyone makes the HL Tournament. I did think we'd have more than four at this point, but with all the challenges we've faced and who we've played, I'm not viewing that as an indication of how we will finish. What you might not know about Oakland and our history, is over the last six years, we have the best or second best record in the country in the month of February. I see no reason why that is going to change.
by Coach Kampe 2:40 PM

QuoteIf the opportunity came..Would you consider one day coaching in the NBA?
by fring 2:49 PM

I had that chance as an assistant years ago. The one thing I'd like about the NBA game is the play calling. Our offense, I believe, is an NBA-type offense, where we don't use a lot of clock, run quick sets. I know my demeanor would never work there though.
by Coach Kampe 2:50 PM

More questions for Kampe.  But is that because he's more fun/quotable, or their program more popular?

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on January 09, 2014, 01:42:08 AM
By the way, what kind of BS is it that our game at Oakland was the only one that had their band next to our players?  They have to change it for all future conference home games.  The HL wasn't able to view any other games of theirs before ours, to make them adhere to the league rules?  I know that it didn't cause us to lose, but you have to think it put us at a little more of a disadvantage in hearing our coach, versus what other HL teams will now be up against. 
I know, that kinda sucks a little.  I'm not super bent out of shape about it. because I imagine that making a transition to a new conference is very involved when you get down to the nitty gritty details.  I can easily see this one falling through the cracks.  Valpo may well be the ones that noticed it and made it known to HQ.  Obviously we experienced the same thing 3 years ago and last year, but it's the kind of thing that is way down the list of things Valpo worries about going into their first HL game at the O'Rena.

Anyone have any idea in regards to their PA guy saying, 'you can't do that,' and crap like that?  That seems like taunting by an official from the home school, which I have to imagine is against league rules as well?
I *love* that guy.  You want to hear taunting?  I listened to the UWM broadcast Wednesday night and at one point, Duke Mondy or someone was angry about a call against him and stared down the ref for a minute or two and the UWM pbp guy was yelling into the mic to the point make me wonder if he could be heard in the arena or not.  He was out-and-out-taunting the guy, daring him to get T-ed up.

The PA guy has a few more quirks than the average PA guy maybe, but he's harmless in my opinion.  Of course, somebody better warn him he can't do that if OU hosts a tourney game in March.  They'll probably love that.

Mind you, the only reason why I am bothered at all by any of this is because the rest of the teams in the HL are not allowed to do stuff like this.  If I was commish for a day, I'd repeal this nonsense, especially during the first round of the tourney (and even the whole tourney).  Either fully embrace home court advantage or play on a neutral court.

That said, it's hardly a hardship to comply.  It's the kind of rule that you rebel against as a teenager *only* because you got used to being allowed to do it.

a3uge

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 10, 2014, 03:47:50 PM
I know, that kinda sucks a little.  I'm not super bent out of shape about it. because I imagine that making a transition to a new conference is very involved when you get down to the nitty gritty details.  I can easily see this one falling through the cracks.  Valpo may well be the ones that noticed it and made it known to HQ.  Obviously we experienced the same thing 3 years ago and last year, but it's the kind of thing that is way down the list of things Valpo worries about going into their first HL game at the O'Rena.

I *love* that guy.  You want to hear taunting?  I listened to the UWM broadcast Wednesday night and at one point, Duke Mondy or someone was angry about a call against him and stared down the ref for a minute or two and the UWM pbp guy was yelling into the mic to the point make me wonder if he could be heard in the arena or not.  He was out-and-out-taunting the guy, daring him to get T-ed up.

Kid you not, I had the game on the radio for about 10 minutes at that exact point the other night. I had to turn it off after that stare-down rant. Those guys are insufferable. I get most home announcers are cheerleaders, but these guys are way over the top.

StlVUFan

Quote from: a3uge on January 10, 2014, 04:45:40 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 10, 2014, 03:47:50 PM

Kid you not, I had the game on the radio for about 10 minutes at that exact point the other night. I had to turn it off after that stare-down rant. Those guys are insufferable. I get most home announcers are cheerleaders, but these guys are way over the top.
I was listening to the visitor's pbp.  I was not home at the time.