• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Wright State at Valpo, Jan. 10th, Friday 8:00 p.m. CT Game Thread

Started by historyman, January 06, 2014, 01:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

If I can get out of my neighborhood by Friday I plan to go to the game. Unfortunately for the Raiders their path for winning on the road hasn't been cleared yet either. They'll have to play at UIC before that happens.

WSU  73
Valpo 77
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC

80-67 Valpo wins, with at least 5 foot stomp/arms crossed/pouty faces from Donlon.

valpotx

We are at home, so this will be a win:

Valpo 81
WSU 72
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: HC on January 06, 2014, 08:39:31 AMwith at least 5 foot stomp/arms crossed/pouty faces from Donlon
i'll take the over
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Valpo needs to win and hold home court. I am trusting the ValparaiZone will be filled with loud supporters and motivate the team, especially Carter, who I am hoping will have a big game. After all, this will be the first home conference game while classes are in session, and there should be little homework or other distractions the opening weekend of the semester. Plus, it will be the first chance for students to see this new Crusader in action:

a3uge

This game will be on ESPNU, so the student section should be ROCKING. There's virtually no homework to do since it's the beginning of the semester, and the student section should be mostly dudes (sorority recruitment is usually at this time).

Wright State simply can't win on the road. They lost to North Carolina A & f*** T on the road. In a league where everyone's going to hover around .500 in conference, you HAVE to win your home games. Hard to label this a must win, but if Valpo wants a 2-seed in the conference tourney (a great goal to have), then they really need to win this game. This seems kind of pointless to talk about at this point though, as anyone not Green Bay will end up with a 15 seed. But who knows what will happen come tourney time... it's called March Madness for a reason.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on January 06, 2014, 04:40:02 PMNorth Carolina A & f*** T
now THERE'S a t-shirt

But if Valpo wants a 2-seed, I'd say they're setting their sights a lil low...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: a3uge on January 06, 2014, 04:40:02 PM
This game will be on ESPNU, so the student section should be ROCKING. There's virtually no homework to do since it's the beginning of the semester, and the student section should be mostly dudes (sorority recruitment is usually at this time).

Wright State simply can't win on the road. They lost to North Carolina A & f*** T on the road. In a league where everyone's going to hover around .500 in conference, you HAVE to win your home games. Hard to label this a must win, but if Valpo wants a 2-seed in the conference tourney (a great goal to have), then they really need to win this game. This seems kind of pointless to talk about at this point though, as anyone not Green Bay will end up with a 15 seed. But who knows what will happen come tourney time... it's called March Madness for a reason.

They also lost to VMI by 20, a team that lost to William and Mary by 20.  Hopkins is now playing for them, scored 11 in 29 minutes with 4 assts and 4 TOs.  Darling Cole isn't doing much for the Raiders either.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Realistically, we need to win our next 3 games - WSU at home, Detroit away, and Milw at home - to have any chance of capturing a league championship.  Even then we still have 6 quality opponents to play on the road.

a3uge

Quote from: wh on January 06, 2014, 08:53:20 PM

Realistically, we need to win our next 3 games - WSU at home, Detroit away, and Milw at home - to have any chance of capturing a league championship.  Even then we still have 6 quality opponents to play on the road.

I think their ceiling would be a double bye. I don't think they have a shot at the regular season championship. I think everyone will struggle on the road and be inconsistent, so sneaking into a double bye isn't out of the question.

a3uge

It'll be interesting to see if the Athletic's department actually tries to advertise this game, which is going to be on ESPNU. I found it incredibly frustrating that they created a graphic for social media without highlighting the national TV appearance. They also still refuse to provide links to the ticketing website with the interactive maps. It'll be a shame if the ARC appears empty on TV Friday because nobody felt the need to actually advertise this game.

HC

valpopal

According to reports, Wright State's  Kendall Griffin and J.T. Yoho will miss the game due to injuries. Jerran Young and AJ Pacher are "questionable."

chef

They're still very deep, especially on the perimeter. Now if Pacher doesn't play that really hurts them. He's been their best player this season.

covufan

We really need to step up our defense for a full 40 minutes.

Valpo  75
WSU   62

Chairback

WS 69
Valpo 67

WS D will create too many turnovers.  I also predict either Bryce or Donlon will get ejected from the game.  It will be physical.

HC

Valpo89

There have been a lot of advertisements in the newspapers. I believe it is a Family Night game - four tickets for $40 with $20 in concessions.
It is Cub Scout Night also. I'll be there with my 9 year-old Cub Scout.

At the other side of town, the Valpo High boys are playing Portage. That won't be a huge crowd, but it will take away a few people. There will be a handful of people who attend the high school game (7:30 start) and then come over to VU for the second half of the Wright State game at about 9 p.m.

I'm expecting a very good crowd. Upper deck full except the corners, that's my prediction. And a rocking student section with the full pep band intact.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 09, 2014, 01:14:15 PMAt the other side of town, the Valpo High boys are playing Portage.
Yeah...this is dumb.  I'm remembering Lloyd Carr's adamant refusal to move games to Friday night, in spite of TV remonstrations, because "that's the high school's night" and he didn't want to take away from that.

I realize we have an odd number of teams, but gosh, the old Thur-Sat travel partner schedule worked like clockwork in comparison to the current HL travesty. 

Now we're playing on Sundays, Friday nights, and other dumb ideas.

valpopal

There will be good halftime entertainment for this game as well, the Chicago Sky Squad:

http://youtu.be/-PDaQKWSwgE

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpopal on January 09, 2014, 02:26:54 PMThere will be good halftime entertainment for this game as well, the Chicago Sky Squad: http://youtu.be/-PDaQKWSwgE

Finally some halftime entertainment that can put the ball in the hoop.  Those little kids last Saturday could handle the ball, but they just didn't have the ability to finish. I would project them to be a pass first PG with questionable defense and invisible scoring.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

EddieCabot

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 09, 2014, 02:06:06 PM
Quote from: Valpo89 on January 09, 2014, 01:14:15 PMAt the other side of town, the Valpo High boys are playing Portage.
Yeah...this is dumb.  I'm remembering Lloyd Carr's adamant refusal to move games to Friday night, in spite of TV remonstrations, because "that's the high school's night" and he didn't want to take away from that.

I realize we have an odd number of teams, but gosh, the old Thur-Sat travel partner schedule worked like clockwork in comparison to the current HL travesty. 

Now we're playing on Sundays, Friday nights, and other dumb ideas.

As you hinted, the Friday games are due to the Horizon's agreement with ESPNU.  I don't know why they couldn't be on Thursday, but it's been that way for years.

I doubt that Valpo could say they don't want Friday games because the League sets the schedule and they want their best teams/games on ESPNU.

valporun

Eddie, I'm guessing we're stuck with Friday nights because ESPN wants the national ratings for the B1G Ten, Big 12, Pac 12, American Athletic, and what Big East games they'll have. The HL just wouldn't bring in the ratings to ESPN on a Thursday night that a Michigan St-Ohio St., Oklahoma-Kansas, Duke-UNC, etc. can and does. If the HL had Thursday nights with ESPN, we'd  be on either ESPNU or ESPN 3. We take what we can get.

LaPorteAveApostle

Ah, for the days of a Bo Schembechler, who would (could!) say, "we're teeing the ball up at noon on Saturday...you can bring your cameras if you want"

Chairback

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 09, 2014, 01:14:15 PM
There have been a lot of advertisements in the newspapers. I believe it is a Family Night game - four tickets for $40 with $20 in concessions.

You would think there would be some sort of online presence announcing this (Twitter, ticket website, valpoathletics.com, anywhere).  I read 89's post and let 3 families know about the deal who most likely will be going now.  The reality is our marketing of the basketball program is poor.  The product is there but the effort is not.  It takes more than billboards on 30/65 exit to get fans in the stands.