• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Detroit, 1/15/14 6PM CST tip

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, January 14, 2014, 12:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

I think that when Paul Oren said on here "as long as Alec Peters is in a VU uniform, he'll be starting" some people took that as Paul lifting the curtain on something someone else (coaching) had said to him.

I think he would admit that was merely his (Paul's) opinion.

It's a pretty safe assumption to make, given both his (Peters') talent and size (we'll always need height, whereas guards are much more easily yo-yoed about).

But it's not something Bryce told him (either Paul or Alec), and it's certainly not any kind of promise that would have been made in recruiting.

If you think that's the kind of thing he (Bryce) would say, then you don't know him.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

There is no freaking way that Bryce told Alec he'd start every game. If Jordan was healthy last-night I guarantee you Alec would've been on the bench for most of the 2nd half.

justducky

Quote from: classof2014 on January 16, 2014, 07:24:44 PMThere is no freaking way that Bryce told Alec he'd start every game. If Jordan was healthy last-night I guarantee you Alec would've been on the bench for most of the 2nd half.
I am not going to argue that you are wrong, but until very recently weren't you one of guys calling for far less playing time for Jordan?  :-\

valpotx

Quote from: classof2014 on January 16, 2014, 07:24:44 PM
There is no freaking way that Bryce told Alec he'd start every game. If Jordan was healthy last-night I guarantee you Alec would've been on the bench for most of the 2nd half.

I am obviously one of those that took Paul's comment early in the season to mean that he had extra information in that area.  Apparently, I read too much into that comment.  However, I highly doubt that Alec will sit out most of any half this year, as he is still one of those guys that can immediately break out of a shooting slump with a made FT or shot. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: valpotx on January 17, 2014, 01:35:56 AM

I am obviously one of those that took Paul's comment early in the season to mean that he had extra information in that area.  Apparently, I read too much into that comment.  However, I highly doubt that Alec will sit out most of any half this year, as he is still one of those guys that can immediately break out of a shooting slump with a made FT or shot. 

Don't feel alone.  I took Chef's comment that Keith Carter is the best player on the team to mean that he had extra information in that area.  ;)

chef

Did I say he was the best player on the team? I thought I said he was a special talent. Like most I have concerns with how he has played of late. I do commend Bryce in sitting him down in games which he has really struggled. I do think the ability is there, as we saw in the UIC game.

wh

Quote from: chef on January 17, 2014, 08:05:53 AM
Did I say he was the best player on the team? I thought I said he was a special talent. Like most I have concerns with how he has played of late. I do commend Bryce in sitting him down in games which he has really struggled. I do think the ability is there, as we saw in the UIC game.

Mine wasn't a serious comment.  My apologies if you took it that way.

chef

No need to apologize...shots and Keith Carter and myself are fair game right now.

vu72

Well, even I once said that Chris Halvorsen was going to be a good player!   :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

classof2014

Quote from: valpotx on January 17, 2014, 01:35:56 AM

Never said it would happen often that he's on the bench most of a half but because he struggled so much in the Detroit game, if Jordan was healthy he would've been on the bench for 10+ minutes in the second half. The Detroit game was Alec's worst game, by far, so chances are if Jordan was healthy, in a close game, Alec would've been on the bench for 10+ minutes in the second half.

Pgmado

Time to set the record straight on a few things....

1) Yes, I said that as long as Alec Peters is at Valpo, he'd be in the starting lineup. I had absolutely no inside information on this, other than I'd seen him play and figured he was as good as advertised and the coaching staff had very high expectations for him. Alec is a player who can make an impact even when he isn't scoring. I'll have more on this in tomorrow's paper. I have absolutely no clue as to what promises were made. I don't think when you get to this level (mid-major) that there are promises. AAU, definitely. High major D1, sure. I just don't see Bryce being the kind of guy (or Donlon, Kampe, Jeter, Waters, Wardle, etc... for that matter) telling a guy "if you come here, you're guaranteed to start." Obviously Alec saw the opportunity to start (team losing top six players). I don't think he needed any kind of guarantee to come to Valpo.

2) I watched three open gym sessions during the summer and I tweeted that Keith Carter was the best player on the floor. I laughed as this proclamation spiraled out of control and media entities such as Blue Ribbon, CBS Sports and USA Today all stated in some words or another that "preseason reports indicate Keith Carter is the best player on the team." Those reports all came from one tweet (if I can allow myself to think I have that big of an impact, which seems unlikely). I still believe that Carter is the most talented player on the team. I also believe that Carter is essentially a freshman; believe he is a player that went more than a year without any game competition; and a player that is struggling to fit into a system/style that was established for the previous two months. You've all seen the talent (UIC) and I think Bryce needs to be lauded for sitting KCJR when he has struggled.

Mixing the two points. If Bryce is the kind of guy that "makes promises" you'd almost certainly have to agree that he would've made a promise to the Mr. Basketball Runner-up. That promise would've been breached multiple times already. My point is that I can't imagine there were promises made. My second point is that Valpo just won a road game without three of the best players on the team contributing at their level. My third point is that for everyone on here that keeps on discussing transfers, slow your roll. Don't you know it's the media's role to gin up controversies? :)

For better or worse, this has really been an enjoyable season. Let's continue to enjoy the ride.

valpotx

Speculating is fun, though.  Realistically, if anyone were to transfer, it would be Nick Davidson.  That is unless he has the patience that Seth Colclasure had to get minutes, which took him a few years as well.  If Chadwick graduates from Valpo this year, he would have a big decision to make as well for his last year. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: Pgmado on January 17, 2014, 11:47:30 AM
For better or worse, this has really been an enjoyable season. Let's continue to enjoy the ride.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

wh

Certainly AP, JA and LW wouldn't consider transferring. They've all started and starred in numerous games, and they have to know that they will be core players for 3 more years after this. CY has played and contributed enough to be incentivized to stay. I hope ND chooses to stay the course as well.

EddieCabot

If Bryce is the kind of guy that "makes promises" you'd almost certainly have to agree that he would've made a promise to the Mr. Basketball Runner-up. That promise would've been breached multiple times already. My point is that I can't imagine there were promises made.

If coaches don't make promises, they certainly insinuate them.  That's part of recruiting and they wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't do everything possible to get kids to their school.  With that said, it should be obvious that the situations for Peters and Carter are radically different.  If Carter isn't happy with how Bryce handles him, he can leave and either sit another year to get one final DI season (and have a DI career of approximately 40 games), or go to at DII and play two more years.  Bryce has the upper hand.

As for Peters, if he's unhappy with his situation, he could leave after the season, sit/develop for a year and have three years left.  IMO, he's shown enough potential this year that he'd have many high-major suitors if he chose to leave.

With that said, I think it's the job of the head coach to play the guys who give the team the best chance to win.  I assume that's what Bryce is doing and what he'll continue to do.

vu72

Quote from: EddieCabot on January 17, 2014, 09:47:30 PM
If Bryce is the kind of guy that "makes promises" you'd almost certainly have to agree that he would've made a promise to the Mr. Basketball Runner-up. That promise would've been breached multiple times already. My point is that I can't imagine there were promises made.

If coaches don't make promises, they certainly insinuate them.  That's part of recruiting and they wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't do everything possible to get kids to their school.  With that said, it should be obvious that the situations for Peters and Carter are radically different.  If Carter isn't happy with how Bryce handles him, he can leave and either sit another year to get one final DI season (and have a DI career of approximately 40 games), or go to at DII and play two more years.  Bryce has the upper hand.

As for Peters, if he's unhappy with his situation, he could leave after the season, sit/develop for a year and have three years left.  IMO, he's shown enough potential this year that he'd have many high-major suitors if he chose to leave.

With that said, I think it's the job of the head coach to play the guys who give the team the best chance to win.  I assume that's what Bryce is doing and what he'll continue to do.

Eddie, our dear Butler fan. has had lot's of advice for us but has been silent on his own team's woes.  When might we expect a Cathbut win??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Smj

The game summary video was posted.    I was looking forward to seeing the Lexus dunk again but they picked a horrible angle (from under the rim).   It was way better from the side.

Takes me back to Spud Web (showing my age).   Lexus posterized a player - it was not just a breakaway dunk on his own.   

Valpo needs to use that in a promotional video.