• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bryce Drew and Bruce Lindner Jersey Retirement Video

Started by valporun, January 30, 2014, 11:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

Valparaiso retires Drew, Lindner No. 24 jersey

I found this video on YouTube from the NWITimes. I don't know if HLN showed the pregame festivities, but this was nice to have some video and the postgame interviews with Bruce and Bryce. Does anyone have video from the full retirement ceremony, or will the Athletic Department post a video on the website? I know I'd like to see all that happened and was said on this special night.

vu72

Quote from: valporun on January 30, 2014, 11:03:37 AM
Valparaiso retires Drew, Lindner No. 24 jersey

I found this video on YouTube from the NWITimes. I don't know if HLN showed the pregame festivities, but this was nice to have some video and the postgame interviews with Bruce and Bryce. Does anyone have video from the full retirement ceremony, or will the Athletic Department post a video on the website? I know I'd like to see all that happened and was said on this special night.

Here is the full video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6aPxQ4oPIU#t=60
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUfan

They did not ask the most important Questions of Bruce.
1. Can we add back in Bruce's freshman Team points to get a true compareson?
2. Is there a three point factor to adjust Bruce's point total?
3. Can he still fit those those short pants he wore back then(will they hang them up also?)?
He was a joy to watch!  ;D

Pgmado

Here was the preview I wrote when talking to Lindner.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/lindner-and-drew-to-have-jersey-retired/article_33d89533-3a4d-5a77-b495-6208a98d34eb.html

He talked about the 3-point shot on the phone with me and he said he figured maybe you could add an additional 200 points to his total if you added in 3-pointers for his career.

LaPorteAveApostle

Of course, the NCAA, resisting the obvious need for change, (sound familiar?) led them to adopt it in 1980 even though the "mid-major" pro leagues (most notably the ABA) had been using it for nearly 20 years.

But this underscores the difficulty of comparison between eras--for, since it was originally 19'9", it was then changed to 20'9". So which one are you going by?  If there were only tape, I'm sure you could develop a computer program using technology like the "first-down line" to put the line down on old games and someone(s) could rewatch and rescore, just for fun, not officially.  (A REALLY good program could just "watch" them all itself and produce a box score.  Some day.) 

200 seems like a good estimate, and a somewhat conservative one (would leave him a comfortable 4th between Barton and Barker) which just goes to show what a humble guy he is.  We're lucky to have him as an alum--and a fan!

I thought whoever said the quote about the tiny shorts of the day hanging from the rafters might have the funniest quote in recent memory (other than Tex "laying an egg at home").
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

The NCAA not having the 3 pointer until 1980 is not as bad as the National League still not having the designated hitter even though those teams play interleague games and the World Series with teams that do use the dh. That is the stupidest thing in sports. Things change. Get over it!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

I refuse to give Saders credit for my egg comment ;).  I also HATE that the NL does not have a DH.  People say that you have to be more strategic when pitchers hit, but it is just so lame to see them bunt or strikeout each time.  You have some Pitchers that can hit, but 99% of them can't.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Pgmado

Quote from: historyman on January 31, 2014, 07:41:20 AM
The NCAA not having the 3 pointer until 1980 is not as bad as the National League still not having the designated hitter even though those teams play interleague games and the World Series with teams that do use the dh. That is the stupidest thing in sports. Things change. Get over it!

I'm in agreement with you, but I'd change it to "the American League still having the designated hitter." I think we all know that the American League is not real baseball.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Quote from: Pgmado on January 31, 2014, 11:03:04 AM
Quote from: historyman on January 31, 2014, 07:41:20 AM

I'm in agreement with you, but I'd change it to "the American League still having the designated hitter." I think we all know that the American League is not real baseball.

Says the Brewers fan, who barely play baseball at all.  I hope that you relive Super Bowl XXXII all over again this weekend when my Broncos beat the Seahawks ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

What's with all the Wisconsin hate here recently?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

historyman

Quote from: Pgmado on January 31, 2014, 11:03:04 AM
Quote from: historyman on January 31, 2014, 07:41:20 AMThe NCAA not having the 3 pointer until 1980 is not as bad as the National League still not having the designated hitter even though those teams play interleague games and the World Series with teams that do use the dh. That is the stupidest thing in sports. Things change. Get over it!
What plays do you remember better from the World Series? Ortiz smacking the ball for huge hits in critical situations against the Cardinals' rookie pitching or any pitcher getting a hit?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on February 01, 2014, 12:55:26 AMOrtiz smacking the ball for huge hits in critical situations against the Cardinals' rookie pitching or any pitcher getting a hit?
You're just on fire lately.

HC

I also dislike the DH and the American League in general.

valpotx

Quote from: a3uge on February 01, 2014, 12:38:18 AM
What's with all the Wisconsin hate here recently?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I do it for Paul Oren.  Whether he remembers or not, he was my RA during my SO year, and I used to give him a hard time about my Broncos beating the Packers a few years before.  I lived in Denver twice growing up, when I was learning about sports, and it is the only non-Texas professional sports team that I still follow.  I refused to follow the Cowboys when we moved here in 1990, because they all seemed like a bunch of troublemakers all throughout the '90s.
"Don't mess with Texas"