• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Oakland & Detroit Game Ticket Prices

Started by Chairback, February 01, 2014, 12:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

I have long felt that the Athletic Department needs to connect with a marketing firm that specializes in strategic marketing development. There is 1 in NWI with a very good reputation and several good ones (albeit pricy) in Chicago.  I do not mean this as a criticism of our in-house marketing people. Strategic development is a completely different skill set than day-to-day execution.

valpopal

I'm hearing that ticket prices were raised for the Oakland game because of expected large demand by female fans wanting to observe Coach Greg Kampe in action since he is one of the 100 sexiest basketball coaches. A little Valentine's Day humor:

http://www.collegeinsider.com/pvideo/83/Greg-Kampe-Sexiest

LaPorteAveApostle

That is funny, but glad to see B-Drew on the list--confirms that my little sister wasn't crazy years ago :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

HC

That video was fantastic.  Although, with there being 100 coaches on this list I think being left off the list would be a sign that it might be time to leave the sidelines and head to a radio booth (no offense there Chef).

Grizz

It was all coaches, assistants and all media so your radio guy had a chance.............

gamelord

I can understand the Detroit premium pricing as they have been our best rival the past few years and on tv. Oakland was probably priced high because they are the new guy in the conference and the marketing dept thinks of it as a renewed rivalry. So personally I agree with the Detroit price and oppose the Oakland one.

StlVUFan

Quote from: gamelord on February 15, 2014, 07:19:54 PM
I can understand the Detroit premium pricing as they have been our best rival the past few years and on tv. Oakland was probably priced high because they are the new guy in the conference and the marketing dept thinks of it as a renewed rivalry. So personally I agree with the Detroit price and oppose the Oakland one.
I agree with both.  Oakland is a bonafide rivalry, with a much longer history than Detroit-Valpo.

Chairback

Rivalry or not, you can't charge a premium if the place is not full...

justducky

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 15, 2014, 09:45:50 PM
Quote from: gamelord on February 15, 2014, 07:19:54 PM
I agree with both.  Oakland is a bonafide rivalry, with a much longer history than Detroit-Valpo.
We have had a few entertaining games with both over the last three years but these are not ten or twenty or 50 year rivals. So lets get back to the real point of contention, that it is dangerous to fan attendance to make a preseason premium designation on any team that might then walk into the ARC with a sub 200 RPI.

This premium game idea has worked pretty well so far (until this year) because we had been pretty cautious with not overdoing it. Last year we limited it to a very good Detroit team and the Bracketbuster. The first year we used it we had Purdue, Missouri St, Butler, a good Ball St team and I think the last one was either CSU or UWM. All of those aformentioned teams came into the ARC with an RPI above 105 and 3 of them came in at top 50. I do not wish to criticize either Oakland or Detroit but in comparison to the strength of previous Premium Game opponents we might just as well have charged $20 mezz prices for Tweetle Dumb and Tweetle Dee Universities.

valpotx

Quote from: Chairback on February 16, 2014, 11:38:02 AM
Rivalry or not, you can't charge a premium if the place is not full...

I completely agree with this comment.  Until you are almost packing the place and relevant on a more national scene, you can't charge a premium and expect fans to show up.  Did we charge any type of premiums when I was in school (1999-2004)?  We just about filled the place each home game, and I never heard fans say anything about paying more for tickets.
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

I'd bet just about the same amount of fans showed up to these games as would have had the prices been less.

Valpofan00

Quote from: HC on February 16, 2014, 07:06:43 PM
I'd bet just about the same amount of fans showed up to these games as would have had the prices been less.
Exactly Valpo just doesn't have that many loyal fans such as all the other mid majors (St. Louis, VCU, Butler etc.) And saying not as many people live around VU as those other schools simply cant be an excuse. 800K+ live in Northwest Indiana and 30K+ live in Valpo alone. We live in an area filled with bandwagoners that only come to games when we are playing well or when we are ESPN. We could easily have 10,000 people plus every game if people we loyal enough or if we Marketed VU games all over Northwest Indiana. Every city not just Valpo Merrillville and Hammond.

justducky

Quote from: wh on February 13, 2014, 10:55:57 PM
I have long felt that the Athletic Department needs to connect with a marketing firm that specializes in strategic marketing development. There is 1 in NWI with a very good reputation and several good ones (albeit pricy) in Chicago.  I do not mean this as a criticism of our in-house marketing people. Strategic development is a completely different skill set than day-to-day execution.
Quote from: Chairback on February 16, 2014, 11:38:02 AMRivalry or not, you can't charge a premium if the place is not full...
I think that all of the debate on this subject could be very helpful for any future fanbase expansion undertaking. Much of this gets back to the basic question of either exploiting the older and largely price insensitive core group or trying to invite a new and very price sensitive generation into the ARC.

Nothing about expanding the fan will be easy and it will require thought, planning and the avoidance of mistakes. So if we are looking for first stable and then a growing fan revenue then it is imperative that action be taken.

valpo64

Northeast Indiana has a population of somewhere around 300,000 or so and IPFW can't even get 1,000 for a home game.  This year IPFW has set an all time record for D-1 wins and they have showed up in the mid major top 25 on several occasions.  Last Saturday night was Senior night and they had around 950.   One may be expecting too much in our attendance.  Have you ever checked the attendance at the Big East games?  Butler only drew around 6,000 for their last home game and the move to the Big East was to help get their number to around 10,000. Look at the markets of BU and those of the other Big East member schools. One might be surprised in their attendance figures.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

zvillehaze

Quote from: valpo64 on February 17, 2014, 11:23:22 AM
Northeast Indiana has a population of somewhere around 300,000 or so and IPFW can't even get 1,000 for a home game.  This year IPFW has set an all time record for D-1 wins and they have showed up in the mid major top 25 on several occasions.  Last Saturday night was Senior night and they had around 950.   One may be expecting too much in our attendance.  Have you ever checked the attendance at the Big East games?  Butler only drew around 6,000 for their last home game and the move to the Big East was to help get their number to around 10,000. Look at the markets of BU and those of the other Big East member schools. One might be surprised in their attendance figures.

You're correct ... only 6,868 for last Tuesday's game with Xavier.  Should be a big rivalry game, but a 9:00 PM start on Tuesday with temps near zero keeps some people away.  The late starts on weeknights definitely hurt attendance, but that comes along with the Fox TV deal. 

On the positive side, through 7 BE home games, Butler is averaging 8,500+.  And for their 3 Sat. games and NYE game, they averaged 9,700+.  Not horrible, given the struggles Butler has had.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: zvillehaze on February 18, 2014, 08:59:42 PMNot horrible, given the struggles Butler has had.
Butler's been struggling, you say?  Oh no!  We hadn't heard!

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: zvillehaze on February 18, 2014, 08:59:42 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on February 17, 2014, 11:23:22 AM

You're correct ... only 6,868 for last Tuesday's game with Xavier.  Should be a big rivalry game, but a 9:00 PM start on Tuesday with temps near zero keeps some people away.  The late starts on weeknights definitely hurt attendance, but that comes along with the Fox TV deal. 

On the positive side, through 7 BE home games, Butler is averaging 8,500+.  And for their 3 Sat. games and NYE game, they averaged 9,700+.  Not horrible, given the struggles Butler has had.

In all fairness, those are very good numbers.