• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Milwaukee 2/15/14, 7:00 p.m.

Started by historyman, February 09, 2014, 05:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

According to multiple sources Jordan Aaron will not be suiting up tonight for violating team rules. Losing the PG, who's been on fire lately could really impact tonight's game.

valpotx

Even though he sucks, that will be a big loss for them.  I always root for him to shoot, so we will see who steps into his role
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on February 15, 2014, 06:47:13 PMEven though he sucks, that will be a big loss for them.
Does this not seem like an oxymoron? This board professes that since he was a poor shot maker last year he will be this year but against Valpo he was the leading scorer for the Panthers at the ARC.

If another HL board said Keith Carter sucks but if he is out that he would be a big loss for Valpo. Wouldn't we say those posters were crazy and not knowledgable?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

oklahomamick

Did Lavonte get a Mike Tyson tattoo above his right eye? 
CRUSADERS!!!

crusadermoe

There have been a couple of plays where Moussa could have just torn the backboard down.     
Wish I could be 7'0 and 270 just for one game. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on February 15, 2014, 06:56:17 PMThis board professes that since he was a poor shot maker last year he will be this year
um...he is.  because before going 17-26 the previous two games he was right at 37.3%.  Last year 37.1%.

I've done this before, but I'll post him up again.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Quote from: historyman on February 15, 2014, 06:56:17 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 15, 2014, 06:47:13 PMEven though he sucks, that will be a big loss for them.
Does this not seem like an oxymoron? This board professes that since he was a poor shot maker last year he will be this year but against Valpo he was the leading scorer for the Panthers at the ARC.

If another HL board said Keith Carter sucks but if he is out that he would be a big loss for Valpo. Wouldn't we say those posters were crazy and not knowledgable?

He sucks, but it is a big loss for them because they really don't have any other scorers on their team to pick up the slack...
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

rink

Bryce's management of our big men tonight is the worst I've ever seen in my 25 years watching basketball.

govalpogo

Well, that was an...interesting...game.  Glad for the W.  Love the audible "Let's Go Valpo" chants!

valpotx

I agree with rink.  Even though Chadwick hasn't done anything, as I said in the chat, he could have put him in when that terrible Gustavson guy was in.  That would have been 6-7 minutes of foul relief for our bigs.  Sometimes you have to be willing to play the bench in these games.  Gutsy win by the guys despite all of the foul issues, especially the last 5 that basically played the last 9 minutes of the game together.  On to a tough game at GB.  If we come away with a win there, you never know what can happen, but we control our destiny in regards to the 2 seed, at a minimum.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: rink on February 15, 2014, 08:52:06 PMBryce's management of our big men tonight is the worst I've ever seen in my 25 years watching basketball.
i thought something along those lines, but...

after they all fouled out, we went from leading 53-46 to winning 77-62.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Chairback

Bigs foul out and we extend the lead.  The three freshman did a great job down the stretch. 

Dority showed great leadership those last 8 mins.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Chairback on February 15, 2014, 09:31:18 PMDority showed great leadership those last 8 mins.
Amen.  Every time we needed a bucket.

And it's not like they didn't know he was coming. 

Pretty quiet for 19 points.

HEY WHO HAD JORDAN COLEMAN IN THE DOUBLE-DOUBLE POOL YOU JUST CLEANED UP

classof2014

Incredibly interesting game. All our bigs foul out with 10 or so to go and they cut the lead to just a possession, I though we were done for. Then we get a 15 point victory. Coleman had his best game in a Crusader uniform with an unlikely double-double and LVD with 19 quiet ones.

This win puts us in great spot to at least get a 1st round bye, and if we win out, a double bye. Big win, and our first quality road win. Hopefully we can build on this one and head up I-43 to Cheeseville and steal a win and put is in contention for first.

The freshman today had a combine 28 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, and only 4 TOs. Great over game (minus the bigs).

historyman

I certainly was wrong about this game. I had predicted that our faithful scorer, LVD, would have an off game but that only Peters would come through in making up some of Dority's points. Well, not only did our usual scorer, LaVonte come through (maybe a tad short of one of his huge nights) but Peters AND Coleman came through with great nights. Adekoya did some needed scoring in the stretch run after our big men fouled out and Lexus contributed a big 9 points for the win. Keith Carter came through also with 8 points by hitting two 3's in the early going and another basket in the 2nd half. It sure was a needed team effort when Valpo could have folded without it's big men but it refused to fall and actually increased the lead with clutch plays at a critical time. Peters played well defensively in the big man area when it was needed as did Coleman. Sure glad Yeo didn't get more of Coleman's minutes. That's not to say that Yeo played poorly just that Jordan really came through in this game. Thank God for a bad prediction.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

Being able to fight through diversity is a mark of a great team. I know the wins haven't always been there, but winning in different ways shows great promise. Admittedly Dority did seem to "take over the game" (as Brandon Wood was known for), but having our 3 big men foul out and end up with a larger point margin was remarkable and showed the strength of the rest of the team.

The 2 seem seems like a stretch, but I'm already surprised at this team and they're far exceeding my expectations.

valpospartan

Quote from: valpotx on February 15, 2014, 09:25:54 PM
I agree with rink.  Even though Chadwick hasn't done anything, as I said in the chat, he could have put him in when that terrible Gustavson guy was in.  That would have been 6-7 minutes of foul relief for our bigs.  Sometimes you have to be willing to play the bench in these games.  Gutsy win by the guys despite all of the foul issues, especially the last 5 that basically played the last 9 minutes of the game together.  On to a tough game at GB.  If we come away with a win there, you never know what can happen, but we control our destiny in regards to the 2 seed, at a minimum.

At the postgame on the radio, coach Gore said something about Chadwick not practicing.  Unfortunately I was distracted so didn't hear details, but maybe that's why he didn't play.

justducky

So Coleman equals the 3 bigs rebound total of 11 in about 2/3 of their total playing time. Hmmmm! Did I just watch us employ a losing strategy  to achieve a decisive victory? What kind of rabbit will Bryce try to pull out of his hat in Green Bay? For better and for worse this 10 deep team is just so much fun to watch!

ARCInsider

Quote from: classof2014 on February 15, 2014, 09:44:11 PM

This win puts us in great spot to at least get a 1st round bye, and if we win out, a double bye. Big win, and our first quality road win. Hopefully we can build on this one and head up I-43 to Cheeseville and steal a win and put is in contention for first.

Not likely...Green Bay would have to lose to Detroit or Oakland while we have to beat GB/CSU/WSU.

StlVUFan

Quote from: ARCInsider on February 15, 2014, 11:47:26 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on February 15, 2014, 09:44:11 PM

Not likely...Green Bay would have to lose to Detroit or Oakland while we have to beat GB/CSU/WSU.

Hence the word "hopefully".

valpopal

After the last game against Oakland I wrote in the forum that "Coleman and Carter now seem to be the players who need a return to confidence, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them contribute more during the upcoming games." I was pleased to see the two step up against Milwaukee: Carter with 8 points and only 1 turnover in 16 minutes, and Coleman with 14 points and 11 rebounds in 25 minutes with only 1 turnover.

In addition, following the game tonight Coach Jeter said it was hard to believe the three starters for Valpo—Peters, Adekoya, and Williams—are freshmen. Once again, with a core of this freshman class, the future looks bright.

Finally, I have to say that some of the calls against our big guys were phantom fouls. In fact, it's not like Milwaukee was driving inside to initiate lots of fouls, since they took 29 3-pt. shots.