• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Green Bay 2/20/14 Thursday 7:00 p.m. CT game thread

Started by historyman, February 17, 2014, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC

For anyone who doesn't know what the last 2 posters are referring to please take a look, http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m9x2BFYpOXs

Nix

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 23, 2014, 07:30:41 PM
Quote from: Nix on February 23, 2014, 05:01:05 PMBut hey, I knew y'all were foolish when I saw someone insisting that GB paid the refs off.
By your logic, then, if that one poster hadn't been here, the ENTIRE CONVERSATION would have been TOTALLY DIFFERENT and there's NO WAY you can claim that you know how this thread would turn out, even though you think you know.

Agreed. Had I not seeing that ludicrous post, I probably wouldn't have came over here. Much like GB could have won had Alec played.

classof2014

Quote from: Nix on February 23, 2014, 10:53:00 PM
Quote from: Nix on February 23, 2014, 05:01:05 PMBut hey, I knew y'all were foolish when I saw someone insisting that GB paid the refs off.
By your logic, then, if that one poster hadn't been here, the ENTIRE CONVERSATION would have been TOTALLY DIFFERENT and there's NO WAY you can claim that you know how this thread would turn out, even though you think you know.

Agreed. Had I not seeing that ludicrous post, I probably wouldn't have came over here. Much like GB could have won had Alec played.

So, would it be ludicrous based on Wardle's ever so recent history, of having the thought cross their minds that he may pay off referees. Am I saying that he did? No. Then again if you would have told me at the beginning of April multiple players would have come out and accused Wardle of abuse and one of the stories include something so appalling and belittling as to what happened to Mr. Bross, I probably would have laughed as well and called it ludicrous.

Nix

Quote from: classof2014 on February 23, 2014, 11:50:12 PM
So, would it be ludicrous based on Wardle's ever so recent history, of having the thought cross their minds that he may pay off referees. Am I saying that he did? No. Then again if you would have told me at the beginning of April multiple players would have come out and accused Wardle of abuse and one of the stories include something so appalling and belittling as to what happened to Mr. Bross, I probably would have laughed as well and called it ludicrous.
And that's why he was "assigned an adviser" as his only punishment. Must not be too familiar with the situation. Try again.

Smj

Wardle is given "punishment", has arguable the best point guard, a decent big guy and a winning season ...  then has his name thrown around as coach of the year by the announcer during the game. ....  What a farce.   coach of the year should be a coach that makes things happen when rebuilding.

(I thought the troll might be hungry)

classof2014

Once Brown and Sykes are gone it'll probably be another 20 years until they win a championship. Based on your logic then, since Brown will be graduating and with Brown this team can beat anyone and without him take away 15 points from every game, Green Bay is in some trouble for next year.

Coach of the year should go to Bryce or Rob Jeter, right now I'm leaning more towards Bryce since the wheels have seem to come off of Milwaukee's bus as of late. Definitely not Wardle, a team that was expected to finish top two and they finish top two is not worthy of coach of the year.

wh

Quote from: classof2014 on February 23, 2014, 11:50:12 PM
...if you would have told me at the beginning of April multiple players would have come out and accused Wardle of abuse and one of the stories include something so appalling and belittling as to what happened to Mr. Bross, I probably would have laughed as well and called it ludicrous.

Not to get off point, but it will be interesting to see how this issue may affect GB's recruiting. Even though Wardle was exonerated by the school, there could be some element of doubt that plays out in the minds of potential recruits and their families. Hard to say for certain, but time will tell.

HC

Whats tougher: A) winning when you are the favorite the target is on your back
                     B) winning when you should be rebuilding

I think COY could go to Wardle, Drew, or the cat at CSU and I wouldn't have a problem no matter which one is the winner.

jjmiller

Just so everyone has current information. Mr. Bross transferred to a NAIA school with a Coach he new from HS. Mr. Bross as of 9/2013 did not make the BB team. He was on the rooster until the season started. Was Mr. Bross a mistake yes and also in the investigation all charges were proven false. The only reason it got any press was the fact He and his parents persued the News papers before even notifiying the School to ask them to check it out.  :o

valpotx

Uh, actually the exact opposite, as it was essentially confirmed that he did many of the things stated by Bross, as it was placed in Wardle's personnel file, and he would be assigned an adviser to help with dealing with players.  Being an HR Manager, nothing goes in your personnel file and you don't get assigned an overwatch, unless it is true...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/horizon/2013/05/24/uw-green-bay-mens-basketball-brian-wardle-investigation/2358557/

"Don't mess with Texas"

jjmiller

I hope that you read the file. What was put in his file (per the University) was Wardle used poor judgement  telling him to get laid because he said he was uptight over a girl. Wardle said it was a mistake and he ment it as a joke. The other item in his file is for swearing and most of the team said their AAU coaches used stronger language. These were the only items put in his file. All other items were unproven and many players called Bross a liar in interviews. Including 3-4 past players.
Which is pretty much what the article above stated.

valpotx

It doesn't state that the allegations were PROVEN false, just that Wardle says it was false, and he wasn't disciplined for the other things Bross alleged outside of the vulgar comments/sex comments.  Just because other players said that he was a liar, doesn't make him one.  Based on other articles I have seen, other past players backed up his story and added their own instances.  Often in sports, if you want to keep playing at your school and not have to transfer to another school, you won't do anything to 'rock the boat.'  You don't make up crapping in your pants and being demeaned for it to gather national attention, unless you are a schizo, or it was true. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

Somebody isn't just gonna make up a story about something as horrific as what happened to Ryan. The current players, especially Brown and Sykes, were likely to support their head-coach. The last thing they wanted was to see their playing time deminish, when they are hopefully of eventually making it to the NBA.

Just look at the transfer numbers, 14 players have transferred over the past 3 seasons. 14! That's a whole team and then some. I understand a couple of those will be for other reasons, perhaps GB wasn't a good fit, or it was too cold, or too far from family, etc... But 14 is an incredibly high number. Also a player who saw decent playing time last year, in Kam Cerroni, quit the team in January or February, that just doesn't happen for no good reason at all.

I wouldn't be shocked after guys like Sykes and Brown graduate GB will fall into the lower third of the HL again, I would imagine this really hurts recruiting. I know I wouldn't want to play for a coach with a history that compares to Wardle's.

historyman

Quote from: jjmiller on February 24, 2014, 12:03:09 PMHe was on the rooster until the season started.

Good thing he's no longer on the rooster. Imagine what Wardle would have said about that. "That's not what I meant when I said 'your c#@k needs a little work out.'"
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

Seriously, did you actually watch that game? Valpo completely dominated it in all facets... Shooting, defense, rebounding, passing, everything. There was nothing one dimensional about that game. Green Bay couldn't hit a shot. They couldn't guard the perimeter. From someone that actually watched the game, assuming the outcome would be different if Brown had played is one of the most ignorant and idiotic comments I've seen on here in quite some time, which leads me to believe the stupidity could only stem from someone that did not actually watch Valpo's most complete game since last year when they throttled GB in a meaningless game (for Valpo).

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on February 24, 2014, 04:03:35 PMGood thing he's no longer on the rooster.
This post is some of your best work ever here.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bowdown:

Quote from: a3uge on February 24, 2014, 04:32:43 PM

Seriously, did you actually watch that game? Valpo completely dominated it in all facets... Shooting, defense, rebounding, passing, everything. There was nothing one dimensional about that game. Green Bay couldn't hit a shot. They couldn't guard the perimeter. From someone that actually watched the game, assuming the outcome would be different if Brown had played is one of the most ignorant and idiotic comments I've seen on here in quite some time, which leads me to believe the stupidity could only stem from someone that did not actually watch Valpo's most complete game since last year when they throttled GB in a meaningless game (for Valpo).
yet another reason we're alike:  when we steamroll us some trolls we STEAMROLL US SOME TROLLS.

also, very much enjoying how many times the awesome picture i found has been quoted and thus reposted.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

There is one small germ of truth in Nix's contention:  The absence of Brown opened up a winning strategy for Valpo in that game that likely would not have been there had he been healthy and playing majority minutes.  Todd Ickow said as much before the game if I recall correctly.  I suspect it even came up in the pregame interview with Luke Gore.  That said, most intelligent Valpo-based commentators have clearly asserted then and now that to suggest Green Bay would have won if Brown had been in the starting lineup would be to minimize all the outstanding things Valpo did in that game both offensively and defensively.  It is hardly outrageous to suggest that Valpo still would have won that game.

As for Wardle, I'll simply note that recently Rob Demovsky expressed utter disgust about the way the Green Bay community has totally whitewashed what happened last summer, so I'm guessing he's not buying the load of crap that their selling up there.  He's no longer on the beat, but it was his story and he covered the team for a long time, I believe.

Face it, Nix.  You're at least a partial Kool-Aid drinker.  You're biased even if you're trying not to be.  It's okay; we all have been there many times.  I know I have.  The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of the gap between Mike Rice and a saint.  Wardle is probably a hard-core old-school good old boy who is behind the times (and hardly alone in that regard).  It is hard for him to believe he did anything wrong.  He's admitted a few minor things publicly, but deep down inside he probably feels out of sorts about having to adapt to what he perceives as a weak-ass new age.  I am sometimes forced to listen to a couple of old-school whiners call White Sox baseball who are the same way.  The age is passing them by and the only way to cope is to assert their rigidity.  Mind you, I do not know Bryce well enough to assert that he is nothing like Wardle (though he is younger, so there's a chance -- he is significantly younger, I assume, right?), but if a story came out about Bryce, I'd probably be looking for any reason no matter how farfetched to take his side, because he wins.

And the fact that Sykes and Brown defended their coach frankly means little.  It doesn't even mean they are lying through their teeth.  It could easily mean that they personally have no problem with the alleged behavior.  Some people can thrive under such an atmosphere (it helps that they are the stars) even while others wither.  I've been in their shoes myself more than once in the business I'm in.

I tend to believe the allegations were not made up.  Exaggerated a little?  Sure, that's possible.  But totally concocted?  Hell no.