• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Green Bay 2/20/14 Thursday 7:00 p.m. CT game thread

Started by historyman, February 17, 2014, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Quote from: Nix on February 22, 2014, 06:00:00 PM

And don't forget that when you won the first time, Alec Brown was out. So you just as well could have had two losses to GB.

You clearly did not watch that game. Go home.

Nix

Quote from: a3uge on February 22, 2014, 07:05:08 PM
Quote from: Nix on February 22, 2014, 06:00:00 PMAnd don't forget that when you won the first time, Alec Brown was out. So you just as well could have had two losses to GB.
If Alec Brown plays it changes absolutely everything. Result could have been the same as this time. 

Smj

nix - maybe next time it will be a fair fight.    I will play your GB team 5 on 5 but 5 on 8 is a bit of an unfair advantage.   (I think it would be difficult to not think the calling was a bit one sided - refs either got caught up in clinching the title or senior night)

LaPorteAveApostle

Hey, be nice to the Green Bay fan.  He HAS to come over here--there's no one else posting on their board.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Officials for this game

Officials: Jamie Luckie, Kyle Ingram, Peter Juzenas

Keep an eye out for them in the remaining conference games and the HL tourney.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/jamie-luckie

http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/kyle-ingram

http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/peter-juzenas
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Quote from: Nix on February 22, 2014, 07:42:26 PM
Quote from: Nix on February 22, 2014, 06:00:00 PMAnd don't forget that when you won the first time, Alec Brown was out. So you just as well could have had two losses to GB.
If Alec Brown plays it changes absolutely everything. Result could have been the same as this time. 

Yes, the score would have been closer, but you still would have lost at Valpo.  Alec has around +10 each game when he is on the court, and you lost by 15.  It's cool, we'll just have to take the tournament on your court this year, when they hopefully bring along decent refs to call it down the middle.  If you can't be impartial to your team, and see that we got murdered going to the basket, you need to get your eyes checked.  Most of us can admit when we benefited from the refs giving us more calls than they gave the opponents, and you obviously aren't capable of doing so.  I routinely call traveling on our players, but the refs don't call some of them, same with fouls.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Nix

Quote from: valpotx on February 22, 2014, 11:31:45 PM
Yes, the score would have been closer, but you still would have lost at Valpo.  Alec has around +10 each game when he is on the court, and you lost by 15.  It's cool, we'll just have to take the tournament on your court this year, when they hopefully bring along decent refs to call it down the middle.  If you can't be impartial to your team, and see that we got murdered going to the basket, you need to get your eyes checked.  Most of us can admit when we benefited from the refs giving us more calls than they gave the opponents, and you obviously aren't capable of doing so.  I routinely call traveling on our players, but the refs don't call some of them, same with fouls.
You can't just insert the point and player. What if Alec would have gone off that game? If he plays it changes the entire spectrum of the game. Do you know nothing about sports?

classof2014

Quote from: Nix on February 23, 2014, 12:22:21 AM
You can't just insert the point and player. What if Alec would have gone off that game? If he plays it changes the entire spectrum of the game. Do you know nothing about sports?

Chances are inserting Brown into the first meeting wouldn't result in a GB win. Who knows, there is the off chance Brown has a career game but saying GB wins if Brown is in that game is silly. In the second matchup Brown didn't play very well and wasn't the reason you won the game. Am I saying Brown isn't a good player? No. Because he is one of the top 5 in the league, chances are we still beat you guys in January with or without Brown. In every aspect of that game we outplayed you, simply inserting one player doesn't magically make it all better.

Who knows? Maybe Brown starts 5-5 in the first 5 minutes with 3, 3 pointers and 2 blocks. Chances of that happening are slim but that probably would've changed the whole game. Everything about that is hypothetical, what if? Based on how the game went, if Brown was playing in that game instead of losing by 15, you lose by 10.

The referees were the reason why in the second game the score was so lopsided, if you don't see that you need to consult your local optometrist, and perhaps invest in a pair of bifocals so you can see the whole picture of what occurred. Am I saying Valpo wins if the game is called evenly? No. All I'm saying the game is much closer than a 14 point game.

All things aside, what happened is moot. I would love to meet come the Horizon League tournament and beat a Green Bay team that is utilizing the services of one of the best player's in the Horizon League. And hope the need not of playing Green Bay plus the services of biased zebras.

Perhaps this little debate can be settled in the championship game, and I wish you luck because luck will be something the Phoenix will certainly need if they wish not to do as Phoenix do and eventually burn up in flames and start a new next season.

valpotx

Quote from: Nix on February 23, 2014, 12:22:21 AM

What if Dority went off that game?  What a silly thing to say, as we can play 'what if' all day.  You wouldn't be getting the same crap calls at Valpo that you got at GB, so I don't think that the overall outcome would have changed with Brown in the game.  Also, let's see, I played college baseball, so yes, I think I know things about sports.  Saying that one guy would turn a 15 point loss into a win on the road is quite a stretch in college basketball.  He isn't Lebron or Durant going off and winning the game on his own.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

I love how you never admitted to actually not watching the game. Brown wouldn't have mattered.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LaPorteAveApostle

Dude can't even troll well. 

Probably the mom of one of the refs.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

gamelord

I remember the post game interview with the GB coach after the first game...he stated that they played so poorly that they wouldn't have won if brown was in. Look it up.

Nix

Because they played poorly. But if Brown plays it changes absolutely everything. He's enough of a defensive presence and can score, to the point where he could swing a 15 point game. We'll never know. Just stop crying about the refs. One a piece. Here's to hoping we get to beat you guys again in the tournament. But then again, you'd probably just complain about the refs again if that happened.

Valpofan00

Quote from: Nix on February 23, 2014, 10:39:51 AM
Because they played poorly. But if Brown plays it changes absolutely everything. He's enough of a defensive presence and can score, to the point where he could swing a 15 point game. We'll never know. Just stop crying about the refs. One a piece. Here's to hoping we get to beat you guys again in the tournament. But then again, you'd probably just complain about the refs again if that happened.
Could you be any more ignorant?

HC

Brown should be POY, that said I don't think GB would've won at Valpo with him. Let's hope for another game between these two in a couple weeks!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Valpofan00 on February 23, 2014, 11:45:07 AM
nope. 

Sorry we impugned your son, Mrs. Brown.  Glad you know better than your own coach. Don't worry, he's still The Great White Hope north of the Illinois line.

...but let's not feed the troll.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 20, 2014, 12:09:43 PM
Quote from: wh on February 19, 2014, 10:44:13 PMFor some reason your post got me to thinking about bbtds. I wonder what ever happened to him?
still around but not posting.  happens every now and again.  I think he gets busy with stuff.

bbtds, we miss you and hope you are well.

I'm still here. I've been catching up on posts since one of the other posters sent me a PM that came through on my e-mail.

On December 10, 2013 I was traveling for my job when I was involved in a 5 vehicle accident in Mississippi about 60 miles south of Memphis. It was actually not snowy/icy where the accident happened. A car merged into a tractor-trailer and caused the truck to jack-knife in the middle of the interstate. I broke my right hip, right arm and some ribs. One person died in this accident and the truck driver who jack-knifed was seriously hurt and had to be helicoptered out. I was taken to a hospital in Memphis before being driven to a hospital in Indy.

When I was in the hospital in Indy going through rehab my schedule was pretty set and I got out of the habit of checking on this board.   My life has changed a great deal. After I got home I forgot my password but after a while I started reading the board again but was feeling lost because I had not kept up with the Crusaders so I never looked up my password. When I got the PM and noticed some people were asking about me I reset my password and started to catch up on many of the posts before I gave up and just marked them as read.

I do appreciate those who have expressed interest in my well being. The Lord is looking after me and is slowly bringing my life to some semblance of what is what like before the accident. Although nobody goes through an experience like I did without their life changing. I have come to feel the need to really slow down and enjoy everything in this world that God has given to me.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on February 23, 2014, 12:02:29 PM
Quote from: wh on February 19, 2014, 10:44:13 PMFor some reason your post got me to thinking about bbtds. I wonder what ever happened to him?
still around but not posting.  happens every now and again.  I think he gets busy with stuff.

I'm still here. I've been catching up on posts since one of the other posters sent me a PM that came through on my e-mail.

On December 10, 2013 I was traveling for my job when I was involved in a 5 vehicle accident in Mississippi about 60 miles south of Memphis. It was actually not snowy/icy where the accident happened. A car merged into a tractor-trailer and caused the truck to jack-knife in the middle of the interstate. I broke my right hip, right arm and some ribs. One person died in this accident and the truck driver who jack-knifed was seriously hurt and had to be helicoptered out. I was taken to a hospital in Memphis before being driven to a hospital in Indy.

When I was in the hospital in Indy going through rehab my schedule was pretty set and I got out of the habit of checking on this board.   My life has changed a great deal. After I got home I forgot my password but after a while I started reading the board again but was feeling lost because I had not kept up with the Crusaders so I never looked up my password. When I got the PM and noticed some people were asking about me I reset my password and started to catch up on many of the posts before I gave up and just marked them as read.

I do appreciate those who have expressed interest in my well being. The Lord is looking after me and is slowly bringing my life to some semblance of what is what like before the accident. Although nobody goes through an experience like I did without their life changing. I have come to feel the need to really slow down and enjoy everything in this world that God has given to me.

Wow, bbtds - what an amazing sequence of life changing events!  I'm very glad to hear that you are in recovery mode.   

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on February 23, 2014, 12:02:29 PM

Wow!  Glad you are back and on the road to recovery.  Blessing to you.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on February 23, 2014, 12:58:44 PMWow!  Glad you are back and on the road to recovery.  Blessing to you.
amen, amen, i say unto thee, bbtds!

Nix

Quote from: Valpofan00 on February 23, 2014, 11:45:07 AM
Quote from: Nix on February 23, 2014, 10:39:51 AMBecause they played poorly. But if Brown plays it changes absolutely everything. He's enough of a defensive presence and can score, to the point where he could swing a 15 point game. We'll never know. Just stop crying about the refs. One a piece. Here's to hoping we get to beat you guys again in the tournament. But then again, you'd probably just complain about the refs again if that happened.
Could you be any more foolish? The entire gameplan changes if he plays, for both sides. We can't possibly know what would have happen. But to absolutely say you guys would have won is foolish. But hey, I knew y'all were foolish when I saw someone insisting that GB paid the refs off.

govalpogo

God's blessings upon your continued recovery bbtds!  Thank you for sharing your story and reminding us of what's really important in life, I can't think of a better thread to have it posted in!  For the rest of us, including our new friend from up north...can we start to move on from this game? Brown is a very good player. Green Bay is a very good team. Respect to both.  I do also think a 1-1 regular season record is an accurate representation of the performances turned in by the two teams this year.  Hopefully, there will be one more! In the meantime, there's a lot of very exciting basketball to be had here at the end of the season!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Nix on February 23, 2014, 05:01:05 PMBut hey, I knew y'all were foolish when I saw someone insisting that GB paid the refs off.
By your logic, then, if that one poster hadn't been here, the ENTIRE CONVERSATION would have been TOTALLY DIFFERENT and there's NO WAY you can claim that you know how this thread would turn out, even though you think you know.

Chairback

Every time I see Alec Brown I think of Matt Kenney draining a 3 on him with 20 secs or so left.  And then Alec Brown clanking a free throw to lose the game.

gamelord

Quote from: Chairback on February 23, 2014, 09:20:13 PM
Every time I see Alec Brown I think of Matt Kenney draining a 3 on him with 20 secs or so left.  And then Alec Brown clanking a free throw to lose the game.

Yep, it would be sweet if he chokes in the championship again. The missed free throw was golden :)