• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2018

Started by covufan, August 07, 2015, 11:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on May 15, 2018, 08:33:26 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 15, 2018, 08:31:44 PM
It wasn't hard to see this coming. Big 10 Ex coach on staff. Not surprised. I'm good. On to Hartfield Nze Gordon Faulds and other options.

Apparently we were the runner up.

If runners-up got to use the recruit for a few games I'd feel good about being the runner-up in Stull's second college decision. Otherwise it's like Mike Pence's influence over President Trump, a complete nothing-burger.

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on May 15, 2018, 10:07:56 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 15, 2018, 09:58:33 PM
Who are some of the available grad transfers?
[tweet]996387976266559488[/tweet]

Pettway, the only PF on the list, is not actually a grad transfer, but he is able to play immediately, plus he has two years remaining of eligibility.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 15, 2018, 09:58:33 PM
Who are some of the available grad transfers?

Scroll down the list and you can see all the players with immediate eligibility.  Some are seniors, some are younger.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2018
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Just a note that summer session begins next week. Therefore, if the coaches want to register players to get an early start with classes and credits, we should expect to hear some news in the next couple of days. The other date to keep in mind is July 2, which is the start of the second summer session.

FieldGoodie05

Thanks valpopal, you make a solid point on timing.

My two cents on recruiting we know of for the upcoming season.  Outside of landing two good recruits in Javon and Sackey:

Ranking Biggest Impact
1) Joe Burton (lost)
2) Eron Gordon (tbd, not high hopes)
3) Brock Stull (lost)
4) Who is the next most important available that we are aware of???

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 16, 2018, 07:13:42 PM
Thanks valpopal, you make a solid point on timing.

My two cents on recruiting we know of for the upcoming season.  Outside of landing two good recruits in Javon and Sackey:

Ranking Biggest Impact
1) Joe Burton (lost)
2) Eron Gordon (tbd, not high hopes)
3) Brock Stull (lost)
4) Who is the next most important available that we are aware of???

We also lost out on the kid who committed to Murray State. He would have been immediately eligible and was a very good 3pt shooting stretch 4. Who know what kind of impact he would have had right away.

As for Eron Gordon, I don't think it's too much of a long shot. I heard he just finished up classes at Seton Hall. I could see us at least getting a visit. He apparently wants to transfer to a school closer to home.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on May 16, 2018, 08:17:38 PMAs for Eron Gordon, I don't think it's too much of a long shot. I heard he just finished up classes at Seton Hall. I could see us at least getting a visit. He apparently wants to transfer to a school closer to home.

And that is exactly what Valpo is "a little closer to home" while Indiana State, Ball State, IUPUI and IPFW are all mid-majors closer to Indy than Valpo. Now if Eron is truly looking at quality of teams were pretty much in the middle of the first two (ISU and BSU) as far as quality, at least in Eron's view and the people around him that are helping him to make a decision.

IrishDawg

Eron Gordon's not a long shot at all.  If Valpo wants him, I don't think they should have a ton of competition to get him.

IndyValpo

Quote from: IrishDawg on May 17, 2018, 08:32:01 AM
Eron Gordon's not a long shot at all.  If Valpo wants him, I don't think they should have a ton of competition to get him.
I am sure IUPUI is in the mix. Somehow scholarship limits do not seem to faze them. I think they are sitting at 15 who appear to on scholarship. Seriously they find a way. The Jags recently added the Campbell transfer (Burks?). 

wh

I would much prefer  KC Hankton, if we can land him.  He's 6-8 with a nice shooting touch and appears to be pretty athletic.  He has 20 offers and counting, including Ole Miss and several solid mids.  Valpo is the most recent program to offer.  I also see that UNLV is now expressing interest. We need to continue to build our front court. Agile 6-8 stretch 4's are not nearly as plentiful as back court players.

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on May 17, 2018, 09:33:22 AM
I would much prefer  KC Hankton, if we can land him.  He's 6-8 with a nice shooting touch and appears to be pretty athletic.  He has 20 offers and counting, including Ole Miss and several solid mids.  Valpo is the most recent program to offer.  I also see that UNLV is now expressing interest. We need to continue to build our front court. Agile 6-8 stretch 4's are not nearly as plentiful as back court players.

Agree.  Valpo's perimeter shooting was mediocre last season.  Fazekas will provide a boost from the 3 point line and Hankton looks like he could also.  In today's game, you can't have too many wing guys who can shoot the ball.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: EddieCabot on May 17, 2018, 10:44:14 AM

Agree.  Valpo's perimeter shooting was mediocre last season.  Fazekas will provide a boost from the 3 point line and Hankton looks like he could also.  In today's game, you can't have too many wing guys who can shoot the ball.
Or defend #HartfieldToValpo #BraunAndGold

VU2014

Agreed. KC Hankton is a pure shooter with great size. He'd be a very nice pick up. Adding a sharp shooting SF seems like more of a need right now.

VUGrad1314

Was the recruiting news Paul mentioned his report that Burton's return is unlikely or should we expect something else?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 17, 2018, 08:05:41 PM
Was the recruiting news Paul mentioned his report that Burton's return is unlikely or should we expect something else?

Was wondering the very same thing.  I think we gain 1 more commit for 2018 and enter 2018/19 with two open scholarships.

may know

Everything ok with JFL?

VUGrad1314

Why do you ask? Has he reacted negatively to the news of Gordon's transfer? Or are you taking Lottich's pursuit of Gordon as an indication that he might leave or that Lottich doesn't value him? Has he given any indication that he wants to leave? Has he reported an injury?

may know

Heard a regional P5 coach is ruthlessly pressuring his camp (some of these coaches have no shame) despite his NLI. If anything were to come of it, Valpo doesn't have to grant a release.

But he favorite'd Eron Gordon's tweet 2 days ago. So the interest must not be mutual.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: may know on May 20, 2018, 06:23:37 PM
Heard a regional P5 coach is ruthlessly pressuring his camp (some of these coaches have no shame) despite his NLI. If anything were to come of it, Valpo doesn't have to grant a release.

But he favorite'd Eron Gordon's tweet 2 days ago. So the interest must not be mutual.

But they should grant a release if it comes to that.  We don't need a bad reputation in the Chicago market as jerks. 

Happens too frequently for comfort.  Sad part is the P5 coaches (this late in the game) are just trying to fill the final spots rather than develop a talented high school senior as a priority.  Look at Sasha from Crown Point as an example.  Purdue coach had a fleeting interest until he lost other pieces and Sasha became #13.

Hope it ends up working out for Sasha, but year one was a whimper.

VUGrad1314

Year one was a redshirt. We'll see how he does and how many minutes he gets this year.

VUGrad1314

Here's an update on KC Hankton: He is now receiving interest from UNLV Georgia Tennessee and Arkansas. Seems to me his recruitment is beginning to blow up. Becoming less optimistic about our chances. It was only a matter of time until schools became aware of his sweet shooting stroke.

https://twitter.com/JeffWaddilove/status/996979955228708864

VU2014

I'm wondering if news of Coach Dildy leaving is what caused other coaches to start pursuing JFL even after he signed his NLI. JFL probably doesn't sign here without Coach Dildy making the initial connection. I'm hoping JFL isn't having second thoughts. I have no reason to think he's wavering on his commitment because he's been showing up for scrimmages with the guys and putting in the work on campus. I've seriously been impressed.

VUGrad1314

His mother even congratulated Eron Gordon on his commitment to Valpo if I remember correctly so I think we're going to be okay even if coach Dildy was instrumental in landing the commitment of JFL.

bbtds

I really wished we had seen this transfer moving down to mid-major Manhattan Jaspers from Maryland.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/maryland-transfer-ashton-pankey-join-manhattan-jaspers-basketball-program-article-1.1088588

"Coach Masiello is a very good guy and I can relate well to him," Pankey said. "I feel with Manhattan I can fill an Amare Stoudamire-type role with the team. I can be a big fish in a small pond and that will be very comfortable for me."

Oh well, at least his situation goes well with this singing group

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVm6ZEQt71c