• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2018

Started by covufan, August 07, 2015, 11:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpopal on February 26, 2018, 09:57:43 AM
Quote from: vu72 on February 26, 2018, 08:01:14 AM
Quote from: valpo84 on February 26, 2018, 07:57:07 AM
Do we a have a scholly for a transfer?

I think we do.  The two seniors plus Joe Burton and we have Javon and Daniel coming in.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a transfer or two from Valpo this off-season as well.

How have transfers from Valpo done after they left. I recall one kid a few years back whose parents thought he should be a starter and he transferred to SEMO. Things weren't any different for him there.

I think those who think they deserve more playing time as the main reason to transfer will find that not much will change for them somewhere else, unless of course they move to a weaker conference or to Div. 2.

Disgruntled young players should learn from what the coaches are telling them and will have a better chance to start if they make the improvements they are told to work on in order to earn a starting spot. Otherwise, you transfer, sit out another year, and will likely have the same problems you had at Valpo. That is if the transfer is to a comparably good conference.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on February 26, 2018, 02:21:18 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on February 26, 2018, 11:59:00 AMI think at PG next season you can look for Bakari and Daniel Sackey to get some big minutes. Bakari has the ability to slide over to the 2 when needed.

Before yesterday I would have added that Micah will also be a PG and was showing some vast improvement as a distributor.  I think Ryan gets the start at the 4 as he is believed to have similar skills to Alec who played the 4.  With one of the bigs, it could be Ryan at the 4, Marcus at the 3, Bakari at the 1 and Javon at the 2.  I think that will work!

This off season could see some transfer action.  Likely candidates could be Parker, Marty or now, Micah.  Something weird was going on with Marty.  I was thinking they were trying to build some sort of a case for a red-shirt, who knows.  Parker will be behind Ryan and Mileek at the 4 and maybe Marty as well.

Unfortunately, that ship sailed long ago. He has played in over 22 of 29 games this season.

Redshirt Rules
For an athlete to receive a standard redshirt, the NCAA requires that player not be involved in any competition for the year he is redshirted. Any amount of competition time, even 1 minute on a basketball court during a regular season game, for example, counts as a season of eligibility.

Redshirted athletes are allowed to travel, practice and even dress for competition for their team during their redshirt season, but the minute they step on the playing field, they lose their redshirt status and use a season of eligibility.

Medical Hardship Exemption
The NCAA allows a seriously injured athlete to extend her eligibility period through a medical hardship exemption, commonly referred to by media outlets as a "medical redshirt," though the NCAA does not use this terminology.

An athlete can qualify for this exemption if she has a documented, incapacitating injury or illness that occurred in the first half of the basketball season and the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent of her team's scheduled contests, whichever number is greater.

wh

Quote from: Just Sayin on February 26, 2018, 03:19:03 PM
Quote from: valpopal on February 26, 2018, 09:57:43 AM
Quote from: vu72 on February 26, 2018, 08:01:14 AM
Quote from: valpo84 on February 26, 2018, 07:57:07 AM
Do we a have a scholly for a transfer?

I think we do.  The two seniors plus Joe Burton and we have Javon and Daniel coming in.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a transfer or two from Valpo this off-season as well.

How have transfers from Valpo done after they left. I recall one kid a few years back whose parents thought he should be a starter and he transferred to SEMO. Things weren't any different for him there.

I think those who think they deserve more playing time as the main reason to transfer will find that not much will change for them somewhere else, unless of course they move to a weaker conference or to Div. 2.

Disgruntled young players should learn from what the coaches are telling them and will have a better chance to start if they make the improvements they are told to work on in order to earn a starting spot. Otherwise, you transfer, sit out another year, and will likely have the same problems you had at Valpo. That is if the transfer is to a comparably good conference.

In general, I agree with you, with 1 notable exception - Lexus Williams.  He is a mainstay at 22-6 Boise State, averaging 26 MPG, 9 PPG, 44%FG, 43%3FG. I will NEVER understand why Matt replaced him in the starting lineup last year with Micah Bradford, whose stats were worse then than now (if that's possible). Now, Lexus is killing it on a much better team, and I couldn't be happier for him.  All the time he spent at Valpo recovering and rehabbing from a torn ACL, only to be benched in favor of a raw freshman who deserved nothing more than mop-up minutes at that stage of his development. The real kick in the groin is knowing there's no f-ing way we would have finished 6-12 and in last place if Lexus' numbers and VOCAL senior leadership were plugged into the equation. There is no way to sugarcoat or spin it.  Matt threw him away, and the team, the fans, and the university paid the price for it at the worst time possible - when we moved to a better conference and needed to make a good first impression.  We'll never get that chance again.       

VU2014

It's important to remember this is the first fully health season Lexus has had since his freshman season. I'm happy for Lexus. He probably should have played him more often last season but Coach was trying to see what he had in Micah and probably was trying to get him some experience because he was still thought of as the "future". It hasn't gone as plan for Micah.

VU2014

Ryan is more of a 3, imo. I think he has the size to play a stretch 4. Maybe when they play small ball next season they slide him to the 4. It will be interesting to see how he's used next season.

The Post had a really good article on Fazekas last week. I didn't know just how bad the shoulder injury was. He apparently had quite a bit of muscles atrophy at one point but he's full go now and back to normal. Ryan has had a ton of bad luck the last few years. He played all last season with the bad shoulder but never took the medical RS. He also had mono his freshman season.

https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/966124407440773120

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-ryan-fazekas-st-0220-20180219-story.html

"We've been putting in a lot of off-the-dribble stuff, not just catch-and-shoot," Fazekas said. "We're putting me in a lot of ball-screen scenarios, making me get comfortable in that."

QuoteIf we're guessing starters for next year I'll go with Bakari (1) Freeman (2) Fazekas (3) McMillan (4) Smits (5).
Backups: Golder, Sackey, Hazen, Sorolla, Linssen, Kiser, Bradford(?), TBD

I do think one or two of these guys have good chances to transfer away. 
Could have anywhere from 1-3 open scholarships for the summer I suppose.

Edit: forgot Kiser, thanks for the reminder

1: Bakari (backup: Sackey, Micah (?))
2: JFL ("backup": Golder (he'll play starter minutes playing the swing 2-3))
3: Fazekas ("backup": Golder (see above), Kiser)
4: McMillan (backup: Parker, maybe Marty can play some 4?)
5: Smits (backup: Sorolla, Marty)

I think we may add a grad transfer PF or a SG. I could see the coaching staff wanting to add a grad-transfer 2G to take some pressure off JFL and to add depth in the backcourt. McMillan needs to take the next step next season and become more reliable on D without fouling so much. Parker needs to take a step.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on February 26, 2018, 03:58:56 PM
It's important to remember this is the first fully health season Lexus has had since his freshman season. I'm happy for Lexus. He probably should have played him more often last season but Coach was trying to see what he had in Micah and probably was trying to get him some experience because he was still thought of as the "future". It hasn't gone as plan for Micah.

Well, I have to stand corrected when I said there is no way to spin it or sugarcoat it. lol

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on February 26, 2018, 03:59:34 PMI could see the coaching staff want to add a grad-transfer 2G to take some pressure off JFL and to add depth in the backcourt.

A Will Bogan type shooter could provide a lot of benefits and maturity. Next year some help at the 2 may be more important than additional help at the 4.

SanityLost17

I hope Lottich has a good sense on all the players intentions as it pertains to staying or transferring.  Because that makes a big difference on what position/grade level prospect to go after.     

If our sophomore class, aka next years juniors (Sorolla/Smits/Golder/Bakari/Micah/Kiser/Fazekas) all plan on staying for the next 2 years we are going to be lethal during the 2019/2020 season with either the addition of a solid 4 man for or the successful development of McMillan or Hazen.

So if everyone plans on staying perhaps a 1 and done senior grad transfer at the 4 position is not the answer for next year as it would interrupt to progression of McMillan/Hazen, or perhaps you get a transfer 4 man who is sitting next year and is ready to play in 19/20 to complete the last piece of the puzzle for what could be a very good team.       

If everyone does not plan on staying then you have to rethink everything.

covufan

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 27, 2018, 07:32:50 AMI hope Lottich has a good sense on all the players intentions as it pertains to staying or transferring.
One can hope.  After the season ends I'm sure all the young men in Division I basketball start getting thoughts into their head, sometimes planted by previous coaches and other people in their inner circle, and that is when things start to happen.  I'm sure no person within the program foresaw the Skara transfer two seasons ago. Mid to late April we'll know more.

VU2014

Recruit a grad transfer Power Foward for Pete's sake

M

nkvu

Quote from: VU2014 on March 01, 2018, 10:03:00 PM
Recruit a grad transfer Power Foward for Pete's sake

AMEN!

FWalum

As a 4th year red shirt junior, who I am sure has already graduated or will graduate this spring, someone should ask John Konchar of Fort Wayne if he wants to play in The Valley, he is the only active player in Division I with 1,300 points, 800 rebounds, 300 assists and 200 steals. I know my friend John Coffman probably won't like it, but programs are going to be approaching Konchar about the possibility...
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

EddieCabot

Quote from: FWalum on March 02, 2018, 07:08:44 AM
As a 4th year red shirt junior, who I am sure has already graduated or will graduate this spring, someone should ask John Konchar of Fort Wayne if he wants to play in The Valley, he is the only active player in Division I with 1,300 points, 800 rebounds, 300 assists and 200 steals. I know my friend John Coffman probably won't like it, but programs are going to be approaching Konchar about the possibility...

If only we knew someone who lived in Fort Wayne who could do this ... hmmm.   :-X

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on March 02, 2018, 07:08:44 AM

He'd be a great addition to any team but I'm not sure the coaches would recruit him because I believe Coach Gore and Coach Coffman know each other pretty well and there may be mutual respect to not want to hurt the other coach. If Konchar was dead set on transferring then I think it would be more realistic. If it ever did happen I could imagine Tom Davis salivating to write that hit piece. I don't watch too much IPFW basketball but I've seen them play over the years and Konchar did stand out. A really polished player, who can really grab down some rebounds for a 6-5 guard/forward.

oklahomamick

It was said in Union Street Hoops that we need to recruit "Valley type players"

I think 2013 team of E victor, Peters, Vashil, K. Carter, Skara, Walker, Hammick, Adekoya, Lexus were "Valley" players.  That team would have won the MVC.  This is all cyclical....Valpo will be back. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 02, 2018, 09:00:40 AM
It was said in Union Street Hoops that we need to recruit "Valley type players"

I think 2013 team of E victor, Peters, Vashil, K. Carter, Skara, Walker, Hammick, Adekoya, Lexus were "Valley" players.  That team would have won the MVC.  This is all cyclical....Valpo will be back. 

oklahomamick, nailed it. We need to hit on recruiting and limit "misses"

vufan75

Ran across this on twitter today. Can't wait to see JFL playing for Valpo.

Too easy for @WYoungBoysBball's @AintuJavon [emoji102] @ValpoBasketball getting a star https://t.co/tSfV2xnwiv

Also noticed Coach Rags liking a tweet about Merrillville star Johnny Bernard.

Johnny Bernard goes for 31pts in @IHSAA1 Tourney on 12-17 shooting. Not too many NATURAL Born Scorers like him. https://t.co/eBBsKMsOcb

We need to hit on all our 2018 recruits for sure. Need to add another shooter IMO to prevent opponents from taking away Ryan and his shooting ability with a gimmick defense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VU2014

A very interesting PF/C grad transfer with 2 years of eligibility just announced his intentions to transfer. Wyatt Walker of Samford. He didn't play against Valpo this season because he was injured all season other then 2 games, so he took the medical RS. He's not a stretch 4 but he's traditional low post guy who is a monster at grabbing rebounds and is a very good passing big man. I'm curious if he'd be someone the staff looks into. I saw a few samford games from a 2016-17 and he stood out. Just a good basketball player.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/970713664679391232

covufan

Quote from: VU2014 on March 05, 2018, 12:03:09 PM
A very interesting PF/C grad transfer with 2 years of eligibility just announced his intentions to transfer. Wyatt Walker of Samford. He didn't play against Valpo this season because he was injured all season other then 2 games, so he took the medical RS. He's not a stretch 4 but he's traditional low post guy who is a monster at grabbing rebounds and is a very good passing big man. I'm curious if he'd be someone the staff looks into. I saw a few samford games from a 2016-17 and he stood out. Just a good basketball player.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/970713664679391232

I think we could use his rebounding - 9.7 rpg in 2016-17 as soph.

VU2014

VU2014

A very interesting grad-transfer just announced. Tory Miller-Stewart just announced he's going to transfer. He played in at Colorado for 4 seasons but he only played 6 games this season after breaking a bone in his foot. He's 6-foot, 9-inch forward from Kansas City, Kan., Miller-Stewart played in 101 games and Miller averaged 6.2 points and 4.7 rebounds over the first six games of this season.

He had a solid but not spectacular first 4 seasons and it seems that some Colorado fans think he never fully lived up to his potential there. He's a big body PF and could be nice fit for our situation. He has PAC12 experienced  and will only have 1 year of eligibility left. He could be a key role player for us at the 4 and it could take some pressure off of Mileek and Parker. The Power Forward was our weakest position this season because of youth.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3134895/tory-miller-stewart

https://twitter.com/adamcm777/status/973665823725244416

VU2014

A Valpo offer flew under the radar in Late-January without anyone noticing.

https://twitter.com/DirtySouthJuco/status/958790103719186434

Tyshawn Davis
Year: 2016 (SO)
Position: SF
Height: 6-6
Weight: NA
Hometown: Brewton, AL
High School: W.S. Neal High School
Junior College: Coastal Alabama Community College Monroeville
Ranking: NA
Offers: Murrary State, FAU, South Alabama, Louisiana-Monroe, Little Rock, UT-Martin, Loyola Marymount, Nichols State

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/tyshawn-davis

https://twitter.com/HoopReview/status/963890565363322880
https://twitter.com/DirtySouthJuco/status/966454776719396867

Tyshawn Davis Is No Longer A Sleeper

"Davis is averaging solid numbers this season, 16.7 points and 8.2 rebounds while shooting 54.1% from 3PT and 81.7% from the FT line."

https://twitter.com/JockJive/status/971940704376287232
https://twitter.com/acccathletics/status/971839113539223552
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl0Yhf65iFQ

VULB#62

vu72

Looks like a thicker Marcus Golder.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015