• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2018

Started by covufan, August 07, 2015, 11:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Anyone know what Tevonn Walker was ranked his senior year from North Pole Hoops?  Curious

vufan75

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 28, 2018, 07:20:22 PM
Anyone know what Tevonn Walker was ranked his senior year from North Pole Hoops?  Curious
Without full access to North Pole Hoops website, looks like Tevonn was ranked #15 and Daniel Sackey at #16 in their 2014 and 2018 rankings respectively.

http://northpolehoops.com/players/tevonn-walker/

http://northpolehoops.com/players/daniel-sackey/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vufan75 on March 28, 2018, 07:45:34 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 28, 2018, 07:20:22 PM
Without full access to North Pole Hoops website, looks like Tevonn was ranked #15 and Daniel Sackey at #16 in their 2014 and 2018 rankings respectively.

http://northpolehoops.com/players/tevonn-walker/

http://northpolehoops.com/players/daniel-sackey/

If Daniel is anywhere near as productive as Tevonn, we are in for a treat.  Signing day can't come soon enough!

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Any updates on the kid who was supposed to take a visit to Valpo recently?

VU2014

I was wondering the same thing. I heard Davis took his visit to Murray State. Signing day begins April 11, 2018. We should hear soon. The Murray State basketball twitter account started followed him on twitter fwiw.

I just hope the Coaching Staff lands the targets they're hoping for.

covufan

We are now in the 'wait and see' portion of the 2018 recruiting season.

Is there any chance of Burton somehow getting eligible again?  Juco credits, summer school...?

vu72

Quote from: covufan on April 03, 2018, 02:06:48 PM

Is there any chance of Burton somehow getting eligible again?  Juco credits, summer school...?

How cool would that be!!!  Instant contender for the MVC title!  Don't hold your breath.   :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Whatever happened to the Ellis kid from South Bend?  I know he went to a prep school out East I believe but have heard nothing recently.

M

I checked his verbalcommits page a couple weeks back. Looked like all the same offers he's always had.

VU2014

I wish but I don't think so.

Quote from: valpo64 on April 03, 2018, 02:50:34 PM
Whatever happened to the Ellis kid from South Bend?  I know he went to a prep school out East I believe but have heard nothing recently.

I think once Javon and Daniel committed it took Walter Ellis out of the picture.

VUGrad1314

So are we just going to go into the season with two open scholarships?

covufan

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 03, 2018, 08:19:46 PM
It is only April - plenty of time to find a transfer, foreign player, or another freshman.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 03, 2018, 08:19:46 PM

We could sure use a 3-man class for 2018/19.  Considering it's rare to have 100% of a freshmen class go all four years. 

The more density we have in 1 to 2 classes = problematic. (e.g. 2017/18 record)

I know that Alec's class graduating (large) with Tevon's class thinning out (Skara) was a big hit to our experience this past year.  I get where some have asked for grad transfers/juco/transfers because it looks like the sophomore class is already down to 2 players (Hazen gone).

VU2014

I think we're going to add a grad-transfer if they find a guy who is a right fit. Jack Williams might be a possibility.

I don't think we leave 2 empty scholarships going into next season. Maybe there is a chance we role one into next season to see if we can land a homerun mid-season transfer.

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on March 25, 2018, 08:07:05 PM
The Rule is against High School kids participating, that part of the LBAA was dropped a few years ago.  All of the participants are now Middle Schoolers.

I'm sure that many did not know that the star of Notre Dame's women's national championship team, Arike Ogonbowale, played in the LBAA tournament in 2010 & 2011. Her Our Redeemer-Wauwatosa, WI team won the girls championship in 2011. Arike was named to both of the All-Tournament teams (2010 & 2011) and won the MVP award in 2011.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/04/02/who-is-notre-dames-arike-ogunbowale-who-twice-hit-the-shot-of-a-lifetime-in-the-womens-final-four/?utm_term=.f9f6a0c7450e

"I think she will be remembered as the greatest female player in the state of Wisconsin," her high school coach, Jeff Worzella, wrote in an email to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "She plays the game at such a high level at times. I just sat there on the sidelines and was simply amazed at what she could do on the basketball floor."

In addition to Notre Dame, Arike's college choices came down to UCLA, Louisville, Ohio State and Wisconsin, but she chose Notre Dame because of her faith.

"I've been going to religious schools my whole life," the 5-foot-8 guard said in the fall of 2014. "I went to a Lutheran grade school and a Catholic high school. I wanted to keep my faith base strong. "It's a great school, Hall of Fame coach [Muffet McGraw], great academics. I wanted to go into business and they have the No. 1 business school. It's an all-around great system."

Some of us might want to watch the names of the LBAA All-Tournament Teams for future recruiting

Boy's Middle School Division       Girl's Middle School Division   
Teigan Martin--Zion Lutheran School – Mayer, MN            Brianna Wooldridge--Immanuel Lutheran – Palatine, IL   
Cruz Billings--Salem Lutheran School – Orange, CA        Lauren Gunn--Peace Lutheran School – Saginaw, MI   
Jamauri Winfrey--Christ Lutheran School – Peoria, IL      Lili Duckmann--St Paul Lutheran School – Mt Prospect, IL   
Adam Stewart--Salem Lutheran School – Tomball, TX     Allaina Robaidek--St Paul Lutheran School – Bounduel, WI
Luke Heartle--Divine Redeemer – Hartland, WI              Mya Hartjes--St. Paul Lutheran School – Grafton, WI   
CJ Davis--St. Paul's Lutheran School – Fort Wayne, IN     Olivia Bigger--Faith Lutheran School – Las Vegas, NV   
Darrion Brooks--St. Paul's Lutheran School – Fort Wayne, IN     
                                                                                  Anna Schmitt--Immanuel Lutheran – Palatine, IL   
Matthew Volkening--Zion Lutheran School – Marengo, IL     
                                                                                   Sofia Sandcork--Immanuel Lutheran School – Lewiston, MN   
Ben Lubbers--Divine Redeemer – Hartland, WI                Grace Schrader--Immanuel Lutheran School – Seymour, IN   
Jordan Glenn-Hawkins--St. Marcus Lutheran School – Milwaukee, WI     
                                                                                   Emma Garner--Zion Lutheran School – Belleville, IL   

vu72

That Lutheran tournament has got to be one of the greatest student recruitment tools available to Valpo.  I'm told getting Lutheran kids is still a priority and what better way than to get a mess of grade school kids to actually visit campus!  Just the All-Tournament kids came from seven different states including Texas and Nevada!

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on April 04, 2018, 09:06:44 AM
That Lutheran tournament has got to be one of the greatest student recruitment tools available to Valpo.  I'm told getting Lutheran kids is still a priority and what better way than to get a mess of grade school kids to actually visit campus!  Just the All-Tournament kids came from seven different states including Texas and Nevada!
The tournament is a wonderful event and a great way to spend 3 days on campus.  If you are a basketball fan and ever have the opportunity to go, it is well worth the time and money.  Going to the opening in the Chapel on Thursday night is a real spectacle.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

SanityLost17

I have a feeling filling the final 2 scholarships with the type of players we are looking for is going to be challenging for the coaching staff.   

Our starting five next year could see 4 Juniors, and 1 Freshman with 3 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 1 freshman coming off the bench.   

It is hard to talk a transfer into coming if they have to sit out a year and might have to wait another year for a big graduation hit to get playing time.  It is going to be hard to talk another really talented true freshman guard to come in when there are 6 non-senior guards on the team (although a few of them we can speculate about how much better they are going to get). 

You see what I mean.  If we can't find an immediately eligible grad transfer I am not sure it would be the end of the world to hold onto BOTH scholarships and save them for 2019.

Ideally you want 3 players per class.   Right now we are really unbalanced with 7 juniors on the team.   I am not exactly sure what the best course of action is to even things out a bit going forward.   

VU2014

I don't think we're going to land a high level redshirt Power Conference transfer this offseason. I think they're going to go after a guys who could contribute right away. A grad-transfer seems likely, because it would free up a scholarship for freshman or a transfer in 2019.

The names I've heard:
-Mike Davis (JUCO transfer (immediately eligible))
-Jack Williams (grad-transfer from Pacific)
-Mike Cunningham (I haven't heard anything personally about him but Goodman did report that Valpo had some level of "interest". Could have just had a conversation with him and that's it)

VUGrad1314

I thought Davis was ticketed for Murray State.

FWalum

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 06, 2018, 12:18:04 PM
I thought Davis was ticketed for Murray State.
I know there is interest and perhaps an offer but no commitment to Murray State that I can find.  If there is, please post.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vufan75

JucoRecruiting.com on twitter saying Tyshawn Davis chose Murray State. Oh well on to next option I suppose.

VUGrad1314

Good get for them. I want them to stay strong and keep knocking at the MVC's door. Unfortunate that they landed a key piece over Valpo though.

VU2014

Speaking of Walter Ellis. He just committed to Bucknell.

https://twitter.com/iamwalterellis/status/983140072399753216

Quote from: VU2014 on April 03, 2018, 06:34:53 PM

I wish but I don't think so.

Quote from: valpo64 on April 03, 2018, 02:50:34 PM

I think once Javon and Daniel committed it took Walter Ellis out of the picture.