• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: zvillehaze on June 27, 2018, 08:06:04 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on June 26, 2018, 03:03:00 PM
Alec Peters: had offers from Utah, Butler (Their interest stopped after a different kid they wanted more committed. There is actually a interesting backstory), Boston College

What's the backstory?

The story that I was told was that AP had interest in wanting to play for Butler early on in his recruitment but Butler was lukewarm on him because they had a higher priority recruits. Valpo, ISUr and Butler were basically his top 3. One of Butler's higher priority recruits (I want to say his name was Andrew Chrabascz) committed to them and then they ended up pulling the offer to AP and stopped showing interest. But then at the very end of his recruitment process a Butler player got kicked off the team for misconduct off the court and the butler coaching staff called AP up and was like "just kidding, we want you again" and he said "thanks but no thanks"/not interested in you guys anymore. Meanwhile the Valpo Coaching Staff made it abundantly clear that he was their top priority and that they genuinely loved the kid. (Although apparently they didn't offer on his unofficial visit lol and it puzzled AP, because he liked VU. Listen to the USH episode with AP, b/c I think talks about it.) He ends up taking a visit to ISUr. He was suppose to take his official visit to Valpo the next weekend, but I think there was a death in the family so he couldn't take a visit. The Valpo coaching staff ends doing a in home visit that weekend instead, because he couldn't make the trip. The following weekend he visits Valpo and like a day or two after his Valpo visit, he commits to Valpo.

It just goes to show how important it is to show a commitment to guy all throughout the recruitment process. Program culture matters. The thing I love about the Valpo program is that when our Coaching Staff Offers, it's a real offer and not just interest. I bet you Butler staff would love to have a redo on that Alec Peters recruitment process. (side note: AP also had offers from Tennessee and Washington State)

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteWasn't Todd Smith a good player out of Valpo High?

Todd was a good player at VHS, but his dad, Tom, was the VU head coach at the time. Also, I'm pretty sure Todd didn't have much in the way of other D-1 offers -- he was expected to be a role player. In fact, I think he may have even technically counted as a walk-on his freshman year.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on June 27, 2018, 09:54:00 AM

The story that I was told was that AP had interest in wanting to play for Butler early on in his recruitment but Butler was lukewarm on him because they had a higher priority recruits. Valpo, ISUr and Butler were basically his top 3. One of Butler's higher priority recruits (I want to say his name was Andrew Chrabascz) committed to them and then they ended up pulling the offer to AP and stopped showing interest. But then at the very end of his recruitment process a Butler player got kicked off the team for misconduct off the court and the butler coaching staff called AP up and was like "just kidding, we want you again" and he said "thanks but no thanks"/not interested in you guys anymore. Meanwhile the Valpo Coaching Staff made it abundantly clear that he was their top priority and that they genuinely loved the kid. (Although apparently they didn't offer on his unofficial visit lol and it puzzled AP, because he liked VU. Listen to the USH episode with AP, b/c I think talks about it.) He ends up taking a visit to ISUr. He was suppose to take his official visit to Valpo the next weekend, but I think there was a death in the family so he couldn't take a visit. The Valpo coaching staff ends doing a in home visit that weekend instead, because he couldn't make the trip. The following weekend he visits Valpo and like a day or two after his Valpo visit, he commits to Valpo.

It just goes to show how important it is to show a commitment to guy all throughout the recruitment process. Program culture matters. The thing I love about the Valpo program is that when our Coaching Staff Offers, it's a real offer and not just interest. I bet you Butler staff would love to have a redo on that Alec Peters recruitment process. (side note: AP also had offers from Tennessee and Washington State)

I'm not going to disagree with the gist of the story above, but I sincerely doubt that Brad Stevens is regretting that recruitment, and none of the staff at the time are at Butler anymore.  Peters wouldn't have played for him anyway.  Butler got 3 tourney appearances and a Sweet 16 out of it and Chrabascz was a 1st team Big East player.  Did he wind up being as good of an individual player as Peters?  Not even close, but I'm fine with how things wound up, and I think Valpo and its fans are as well.

VU2014

Quote from: IrishDawg on June 27, 2018, 10:32:10 AM
I'm not going to disagree with the gist of the story above, but I sincerely doubt that Brad Stevens is regretting that recruitment.  Peters wouldn't have played for him anyway.  Butler got 3 tourney appearances and a Sweet 16 out of it and Chrabascz was a 1st team Big East player.  Did he wind up being as good of an individual player as Peters?  Not even close, but I'm fine with how things wound up, and I think Valpo and its fans are as well.

Yeah I doubt Stevens is thinking about College recruitment these days lol. I don't think he's ever coming back to the college game as a coach. It's all in the past now and all parties are happy at the end of the day.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on June 27, 2018, 10:38:14 AM
Quote from: IrishDawg on June 27, 2018, 10:32:10 AM
I'm not going to disagree with the gist of the story above, but I sincerely doubt that Brad Stevens is regretting that recruitment.  Peters wouldn't have played for him anyway.  Butler got 3 tourney appearances and a Sweet 16 out of it and Chrabascz was a 1st team Big East player.  Did he wind up being as good of an individual player as Peters?  Not even close, but I'm fine with how things wound up, and I think Valpo and its fans are as well.

Yeah I doubt Stevens is thinking about College recruitment these days lol. I don't think he's ever coming back to the college game as a coach. It's all in the past now and all parties are happy at the end of the day.

Don't kid yourself!  It no doubt is still eating at Stevens that he left the college game losing his last four chances to beat Valpo!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bigmosmithfan1

Getting in on a kid early is pretty critical at the midmajor level in order to land those occasional difference-maker type of players. Yes, four out of five times the kid will end up taking the latecoming P5 offer. But once in a while, you'll get the kid who takes the opposite tack and will stick with the first program to show interest and shun the P5 guys trying to swoop in at the end. All it takes is a couple of those every 3-4 years to make a good midmajor program a great one.

In addition, being early opens the door for when the unexpected happens. Zach Gunn was an IU commit, until Crean got fired. Since Ball State was the first team that recruited him and stayed with him throughout the process, even when they were pretty clearly no longer in the running, when he decommitted from IU, James Whitford's staff was his first call, and he quickly became a Cardinal.

VU2014

I good article about 2019 recruit Alex Hemenway. I think this kid is going to be a absolute stud. His recruitment started to blow up his Sophomore year and that Summer going into his Junior year, but he had a somewhat "disappointing" HS Junior season and was banged up. He's still one of the best players in the State of Indiana in my opinion. He has offers from: Clemson, Butler, Creighton, Nebraska, Xavier, Bradley, Belmont, NKU, and Evansville. I'm not sure how "in" on his recruitment we are anymore with Coach Ragland being the primary recruiter and now having left. If the Power 5 and BE programs interest waivers on this kid and he becomes a realistic "get" for us, I'd be very disappointed if we don't make a hard push to sign him. Clemson seems to be recruiting him the most, but he might not find the same amount of playing time or "role" that he would get at a Mid-Major program.

He's going to narrow his Top 6 (Belmont sounds like they're in his Top 6 already) by the end of July. I hope we're in his Top 6. I think he'd fit well with the Valpo Basketball program culture and he's a hell of a basketball player.

https://twitter.com/courierthescore/status/1009150642286481408

Injuries, heartbreak fail to slow down Castle basketball star Alex Hemenway
THE NEWBURGH NATIVE CURRENTLY HOLDS OFFERS FROM NEARLY A DOZEN DIVISION I BASKETBALL PROGRAMS ENTERING AN IMPORTANT MONTH OF JULY FOR INDIANA ELITE.
Gordon Engelhardt
Evansville Courier & Press

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/06/19/injuries-heartbreak-fail-slow-down-castle-basketball-star/702314002/

VUGrad1314

For as hard as they recruit Indiana it baffles me that Belmont has no interest in the MVC. You would think that the chance to come to one of their recruiting hotbeds 3 times a year most years while playing programs more suited for their caliber and institutions more akin to their own would appeal to them.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 05, 2018, 11:27:48 AM
For as hard as they recruit Indiana it baffles me that Belmont has no interest in the MVC. You would think that the chance to come to one of their recruiting hotbeds 3 times a year most years while playing programs more suited for their caliber and institutions more akin to their own would appeal to them.

They want to be the big fish in a small pond. Byrd is probably approaching retirement and he may not be up for another conference switch where things like recruiting and game prep gets more competitive/demanding. Belmont would also need to make a greater financial commitment to athletics if they were to join the Valley, which may be something they aren't interested in. It makes sense for them as fit but some Universities don't have the same goals as others. It would be maddening if I were a Belmont fan, though. I've sort of have moved passed the idea of Belmont in the MVC. If they change their mind then great, but if not it's not the end of the world.

If I were a talented recruit like Hemenway I'd opt to play in the MVC over the OVC. In the MVC he'd be a impact guy and would get to test himself against better competition night in and night out as a underclassman.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on July 05, 2018, 11:48:39 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 05, 2018, 11:27:48 AM

They want to be the big fish in a small pond. Byrd is probably approaching retirement and he may not be up for another conference switch where things like recruiting and game prep gets more competitive/demanding. Belmont would also need to make a greater financial commitment to athletics if they were to join the Valley, which may be something they aren't interested in. It makes sense for them as fit but some Universities don't have the same goals as others. It would be maddening if I were a Belmont fan, though. I've sort of have moved passed the idea of Belmont in the MVC. If they change they're mind then great, but if not it's not the end of the world.

If I were a talented recruit like Hemenway I'd opt to play in the MVC over the OVC. In the MVC he'd be a impact guy and would get to test himself against better competition night in and night out as a underclassman.

Belmont spent $2,668,559 during the 16-17 season, which would have put them firmly in the middle of the MVC for Men's Basketball.  Now, maybe the rest of their sports would be severely underfunded in the league, but if they were to make the move, outside of increased travel costs, I don't think commitment to athletic spending is the issue.  For example, during the fiscal year ending in 2017, Belmont spent $14,151,161 on athletics.  Valpo spent $14,002,519, including $1.1M on football, a sport that Belmont doesn't have.  Pair that with Belmont only sponsoring 13 total sport teams and Valpo sponsoring 17, and I think that further supports it not being an issue of spending as to why Belmont doesn't make the jump to the MVC.

In terms of recruiting, it just depends what a kid is looking for.  If it's making it to the tournament or the NIT most every year (7 of the last 10), then a kid might be willing to look past the lack of competition in league when considering Belmont.  If he wants to play against better competition in league, then it's the MVC all the way, though I'll be interested to see how big of a player UE becomes now.

VU2014

Quote from: IrishDawg on July 05, 2018, 01:07:34 PM
In terms of recruiting, it just depends what a kid is looking for.  If it's making it to the tournament or the NIT most every year (7 of the last 10), then a kid might be willing to look past the lack of competition in league when considering Belmont.  If he wants to play against better competition in league, then it's the MVC all the way, though I'll be interested to see how big of a player UE becomes now.

I'm curious as well. I know Marty's staff was recruiting him pretty hard but as of when that article was written he had never met or talked to McCarty.

FieldGoodie05

As much as I'd enjoy landing Alex, here's a quote from the article...

"Honestly, I believed ever since I was six-to-eight years old ... It's been my dream to play at the highest level of basketball..."

Too often this takes even MVC Valpo out of the equation.  For those that welcomed the HL to MVC transition, undoubtedly we get more serious looks.  However, Clemson and others (P5) are his intended landing spot should those offers still be on the table.  Same reason Newman will likely fall from our radar if he hasn't already.

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on July 05, 2018, 02:03:03 PM

"Honestly, I believed ever since I was six-to-eight years old ... It's been my dream to play at the highest level of basketball..."

Too often this takes even MVC Valpo out of the equation.  For those that welcomed the HL to MVC transition, undoubtedly we get more serious looks.  However, Clemson and others (P5) are his intended landing spot should those offers still be on the table.  Same reason Newman will likely fall from our radar if he hasn't already.

Highest level is NBA. I'm not sure if he's talking college or pros.

Newman's stock is much higher than Hemenway's right now. I've just accepted that we have no shot of landing Brandon out of HS. Hemenway strikes me as a guy who values things outside of just the level of competition. He seems like someone who values culture and relationship, which could be a selling point for us. Coach Ragland built a relationship, but problem is he is no longer with the program. The coaches probably know where they stand with his recruitment at this point.

I think Chris Payton and Alex Hemenway are our most realistic 2019 recruits we've offered. To be honest I'm not sure how likely Hemenway is. I hope we can get an official visit.

https://twitter.com/EngGordon/status/1009104705694429185

IrishDawg

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on July 05, 2018, 02:03:03 PM

I think it also depends on how real those offers are right now.  Butler already has their 2019 scholarships filled, and other than keeping in touch with kids in case of a transfer, there's nothing available there.  Xavier offers everyone under the sun, and already have several players ahead of him on their depth chart.  Creighton's got a few guys ahead of him on their recruiting chart, Nebraska and Clemson could be real, but both also have guys on their radar ahead of him ratings-wise as well.

Honestly the schools who look like they've made him a priority (at least in terms of who else they are also recruiting at his position and year) are Belmont, Bradley, Valpo, Northern Kentucky and IUPUI.  My guess is he is hoping for a power program to really come after him, but until he settles on a his officials, we won't really know whose interest is real and whose isn't.  I don't think he's an unrealistic target for Valpo.

VU2014

Wow... bummer for the community. I hope it all works out for Brandon.

https://twitter.com/BSnow247/status/1015282192082259969

VU2014

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on July 06, 2018, 11:55:12 PM
Valpo offered Payton a few weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/scottybscout/status/1015457476278407169

Don't expect a quick decision from him. He is going to wait it out and see if he can draw P5 interest.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 07, 2018, 12:01:51 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on July 06, 2018, 11:55:12 PM
Valpo offered Payton a few weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/scottybscout/status/1015457476278407169

Don't expect a quick decision from him. He is going to wait it out and see if he can draw P5 interest.

Agreed. He committed to his hometown ISUr Redbirds last year and walked that back pretty quickly when he started getting P5 interest.

VU2014

A big couple weeks for the Coaches starting today. It's the start of the official NCAA evaluation period. Coaches can now watch High School student-athletes compete at their HS practices, visit their high schools, and write or telephone student-athletes or their parents.

The work that the Coaches put in the next couple weeks could set the foundation for the recruiting/evaluating for the Valpo student-athletes of the future. Good luck to the coaches!

VU2014

This pretty much seals the deal that Alex Hemenway will land with Clemson. Good for Marty he's landing in a good situation.

https://twitter.com/patmhickey/status/1018215750161567744

VU2014

Article mentions a Valpo recruit Chris Payton and another player who came in for a visit a few weeks ago, Tyler Beard.

https://twitter.com/michaelsobrien/status/1017422301678227457

Live period primer: Who and what to watch in July
Joe Henricksen
For Sun-Times Media | @joehoopsreport
July 11 10:34 p.m.

ALL EYES ON (CLASS OF 2019)

◼︎ Tom Welch, Naperville North
◼︎ Nate Ferguson, Lemont
◼︎ Marquise Kennedy, Brother Rice

CLASS OF 2019 SUPER SLEEPER

◼︎ Tujautae Williams, Orr

Bloomington's Chris Payton clearly will need to re-establish himself this month to inch his way up past mid-major status. Once committed to Illinois State, the highly-athletic 6-7 Payton recently picked up offers from New Mexico and Valparaiso.

... https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2018/07/11/july-live-period-primer

historyman

Quote from: VU2014 on July 16, 2018, 12:20:06 AMBloomington's Chris Payton clearly will need to re-establish himself this month to inch his way up past mid-major status. Once committed to Illinois State, the highly-athletic 6-7 Payton recently picked up offers from New Mexico and Valparaiso.

Just a reminder here that Albuquerque has no professional sports in either MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL, or MLS. Here is the winter weather in Albuquerque, a town of less than 1M people which is about the same size of metro Lake and Porter Counties:

Winter consists of chilly/mild days and cold nights. December, the coolest month, averages 36.3 °F (2.4 °C), although low temperatures bottom out in January, and the coldest temperature of the year is typically around 10 °F (−12 °C).[35] Most nights in December, January, and February will be below freezing.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUGrad1314

Quote from: historyman on July 16, 2018, 03:52:58 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on July 16, 2018, 12:20:06 AMBloomington's Chris Payton clearly will need to re-establish himself this month to inch his way up past mid-major status. Once committed to Illinois State, the highly-athletic 6-7 Payton recently picked up offers from New Mexico and Valparaiso.

Just a reminder here that Albuquerque has no professional sports in either MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL, or MLS. Here is the winter weather in Albuquerque, a town of less than 1M people which is about the same size of metro Lake and Porter Counties:

Winter consists of chilly/mild days and cold nights. December, the coolest month, averages 36.3 °F (2.4 °C), although low temperatures bottom out in January, and the coldest temperature of the year is typically around 10 °F (−12 °C).[35] Most nights in December, January, and February will be below freezing.

Doesn't sound remarkably different from Valpo. Valpo and  the MVC just need to keep working to raise their profile so we can win recruiting battles with peer conferences.

VU2014

I hear there is a big Meth problem down in Albuquerque.

wh

The first girl I ever kissed was from Albuquerque, and I once encountered a rattlesnake while hiking the Sandia Foothills. So there's that...