• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on September 03, 2018, 07:28:05 PM
Honestly, if we currently have only one scholarship opening for 2019, I'd rather it be used for a forward, preferably a power forward.

I wish we had two scholarships available, because both players (Payton/Skogman) could play together. Maybe another scholarship will open up by the end of this school year but both will be long committed by then. Both guys sound like they'll be Fall commits.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on September 03, 2018, 07:32:42 PM
Honestly, if we currently have only one scholarship opening for 2019, I'd rather it be used for a forward, preferably a power forward.

I do wonder some times about the value of being in The Valley versus, say, the Horizon.  I understand the interest in playing at a high level but Belmont?  The reason may well be the ability to get to the dance via the easier path in the OVC.  But we have lost out to Belmont in the past.  Just wondering... ???

Just looked at Belmont's website. The first thing I noticed was a home page banner headline that this is their 17th consecutive year of record enrollments. This has to be unheard of anywhere else in traditional university settings. I also see they don't distance themselves from their Christian heritage; in fact, they strongly embrace an Evangelical Christian campus culture. Even more impressive, they have fewer than 100 international students, meaning they have grown organically through hard work in the trenches while staying true to their conservative Christian values, rather than buy into the sweet allure of the foreign student cash cow enrollment quick fix.

VUGrad1314

Now if only their coach and athletic department had the stones to join the MVC.

vu72

Quote from: wh on September 04, 2018, 12:19:48 PM

I do wonder some times about the value of being in The Valley versus, say, the Horizon.  I understand the interest in playing at a high level but Belmont?  The reason may well be the ability to get to the dance via the easier path in the OVC.  But we have lost out to Belmont in the past.  Just wondering... ???

Just looked at Belmont's website. The first thing I noticed was a home page banner headline that this is their 17th consecutive year of record enrollments. This has to be unheard of anywhere else in traditional university settings. I also see they don't distance themselves from their Christian heritage; in fact, they strongly embrace an Evangelical Christian campus culture. Even more impressive, they have fewer than 100 international students, meaning they have grown organically through hard work in the trenches while staying true to their conservative Christian values, rather than buy into the sweet allure of the foreign student cash cow enrollment quick fix.

Plus it is in Nashville with its great bar scene!  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on September 04, 2018, 02:56:23 PM

Belmont's attendance baffles me. They've really struggled to garner a respectable home attendance for any game not played against Vandy. For a program with their consistent amount off success it would gain stronger support from the community. I understand Nashville is a Vandy town but still.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on September 04, 2018, 03:09:23 PM

Belmont's attendance baffles me. They've really struggled to garner a respectable home attendance for any game not played against Vandy. For a program with their consistent amount off success it would gain stronger support from the community. I understand Nashville is a Vandy town but still.

Bizarre for sure, especially considering their location in the Bible Belt. Can you imagine what Valpo's home attendance might be with 9000 students located in a metropolitan area the size of Nashville? 

VUGrad1314

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they play a bunch of nondescript\directional schools in conference play ( no disrespect intended to Murray State)? You'd have to think that their attendance numbers would grow with more established brands more befitting of their own program's stature coming in to the Curb, especially in a sports town like Nashville.

FieldGoodie05

If you look at their notable alumni it's a strong list of musicians (thinking their proximity to country music royalty is a big draw).  And then there is the Nashville metropolitan area which has grown by 45% since the year 2000.

They are obviously doing other things right, because continued growth despite economy is impressive.  But consider that Nashville is a young and vibrant city compared to many others and there you have it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belmont_University

vu72

If you think Belmont has an attendance problem, you should see Lipscomb, also D1 and also located in Nashville.  They hosted Morehead State for a game last year that drew 561 but did draw 4161 when they hosted Belmont
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on September 04, 2018, 03:22:21 PM
Bizarre for sure, especially considering their location in the Bible Belt. Can you imagine what Valpo's home attendance might be with 9000 students located in a metropolitan area the size of Nashville?

Better yet, imagine what Valpo's home attendance might be with 11,000 undergrads, a team coming off a Final Four and located in a metropolitan area the size of Chicago?  (I'm looking at you, Loyola!  :o )

wh

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 04, 2018, 05:07:54 PM

Better yet, imagine what Valpo's home attendance might be with 11,000 undergrads, a team coming off a Final Four and located in a metropolitan area the size of Chicago?  (I'm looking at you, Loyola!  :o )

They could be the most undeserving fan base of a Final Four team in NCAA history.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on September 04, 2018, 11:43:42 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on September 04, 2018, 05:07:54 PM

They could be the most undeserving fan base of a Final Four team in NCAA history.

A little harsh. I'm guessing their fan support will grow after that last run and all the free advertising that came along with it. Need to give them credit for their student attendance last year. It was strong all year. They changed the student body culture of attending basketball games.

VUGrad1314

Yes, they bought in before the results were tangible or even within view. In contrast, our student attendance was awful despite a tremendous history of recent success and a conference move that greatly enhances the overall  quality of our schedule. We can debate the reasons and causes for this but the fact remains that those students at Loyola  deserve everything good they got, are getting, and will get. The city of Chicago may have been late to the party but the students sure weren't. If we want to recapture our student culture it may be instructive and beneficial  to  study what they did in turning theirs around.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 05, 2018, 07:12:38 AM
Yes, they bought in before the results were tangible or even within view. In contrast, our student attendance was awful despite a tremendous history of recent success and a conference move that greatly enhances the overall  quality of our schedule. We can debate the reasons and causes for this but the fact remains that those students at Loyola  deserve everything good they got, are getting, and will get. The city of Chicago may have been late to the party but the students sure weren't. If we want to recapture our student culture it may be instructive and beneficial  to  study what they did in turning theirs around.

Clearly the Athletic Department has stepped up their game with regard to attracting students to athletic events. LOTS of new things going on.  It remains to be seen if it will work but there is all kinds of evidence that an increased effort is underway.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on September 05, 2018, 08:37:14 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 05, 2018, 07:12:38 AM

Clearly the Athletic Department has stepped up their game with regard to attracting students to athletic events. LOTS of new things going on.  It remains to be seen if it will work but there is all kinds of evidence that an increased effort is underway.

Admittedly I don't care about this topic as much as I should, and yes it looks bad not having the student section at least 3/4 full.  But has the "student" part been a downward trend OR did it just fall of a cliff last year?  Some of us on this forum are season ticket holders and can speak to this question please.

VU2014

Trying to redirect the student attendance conversation to this thread: http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=3075.225

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on September 04, 2018, 04:21:43 PMIf you think Belmont has an attendance problem, you should see Lipscomb, also D1 and also located in Nashville.  They hosted Morehead State for a game last year that drew 561 but did draw 4161 when they hosted Belmont

Given that Vandy, Belmont and Tenn State are also in Nashville, Lipscomb is an after thought after an after thought as far as interest and coverage.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on September 04, 2018, 03:09:23 PMBelmont's attendance baffles me. They've really struggled to garner a respectable home attendance for any game not played against Vandy. For a program with their consistent amount off success it would gain stronger support from the community. I understand Nashville is a Vandy town but still.

Reminder: Valpo's attendance comes from many over 65. Belmont is set on a hill. If you think walking flat distances from a parking lot at VU is tough then try walking up a hill on Belmont's south Nashville campus. Notice the slope in each pic of the Belmont campus.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on September 07, 2018, 01:55:32 PMBelmont is set on a hill. If you think walking flat distances from a parking lot at VU is tough then try walking up a hill on Belmont's south Nashville campus. Notice the slope in each pic of the Belmont campus.

Trust me, I live here.  A 3 miles walk can be very tiring given half of it is up a very steep slope! I'm not in Indiana any longer!

valpo64

Sounds like a great excuse not to attend a game???

VU2014

Interesting. I thought we should have made a strong push to land Hemenway, especially when Newman wasn't a realistic option at VU. I think this kid is going to be a absolute stud and would be a future all-MVC type player. I think he still ends up at Clemson because of the close family connection to the HC. It would be a great get for Bradley.

https://twitter.com/patmhickey/status/1038485775401279488

VU2014

Looks like we're taking a look at another Canadian recruit.

https://twitter.com/Elias_NPH/status/1040384654220640256

"Explosive would be the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of Jahcobi. The 2019 guard had a great day getting to the rim, making for some easy points from the line. He also showed a smooth form from deep, and managed to set up teammates whenever all of the defensive attention was on him. Grassroots will be a tough out on Sunday, and Jahcobi will be one of the reasons why."
Read more at http://northpolehoops.com/2018/07/22/cnit-14u-17u-top-standouts-from-day-2/#ZpW3WEAg7OF3bCpq.99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlZ___mQiVg

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on September 13, 2018, 07:26:05 PM

"Explosive would be the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of Jahcobi. The 2019 guard had a great day getting to the rim, making for some easy points from the line. He also showed a smooth form from deep, and managed to set up teammates whenever all of the defensive attention was on him. Grassroots will be a tough out on Sunday, and Jahcobi will be one of the reasons why."
Read more at http://northpolehoops.com/2018/07/22/cnit-14u-17u-top-standouts-from-day-2/#ZpW3WEAg7OF3bCpq.99

In what world do we need another PG?  Maybe he projects at SG...and yet do we need another G in that class? 

WHAT ABOUT PLAYERS OVER 6'6" COACH???

vufan75

Quote from: VU2014 on August 27, 2018, 09:24:25 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on August 26, 2018, 10:28:38 AM
Any word on how the Chris Payton visit went?

As of right now it sounds like he's still going to that SIU visit on Sept. 14. Hopefully the visit went well and we made a strong impression. Over the weekend his Meanstreats AAU teammate committed to SIU.
Wonder if Chris Payton is heading to SIU for an official visit this weekend as was reported earlier? Hope we can land him either way. Hope his Valpo visit went well and he and his family were impressed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 13, 2018, 07:48:54 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on September 13, 2018, 07:26:05 PM

In what world do we need another PG?  Maybe he projects at SG...and yet do we need another G in that class? 

WHAT ABOUT PLAYERS OVER 6'6" COACH???

The coaches might see him more as combo guard/SG. This kid appears to be very athletic and not just your typical "floor general" type of PG. But I haven't seen him play so I don't know.

We landed Nick Robinson who is 6'6". Chris Payton and Skogman are both over 6'6". It's a bummer that we only have 1 scholarship available for 2019. Someone may transfer at the end of the season but we'd miss out on the opportunity to recruit a kid out of HS.