• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on September 13, 2018, 08:14:04 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 13, 2018, 07:48:54 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on September 13, 2018, 07:26:05 PM
Looks like we're taking a look at another Canadian recruit.

https://twitter.com/Elias_NPH/status/1040384654220640256

"Explosive would be the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of Jahcobi. The 2019 guard had a great day getting to the rim, making for some easy points from the line. He also showed a smooth form from deep, and managed to set up teammates whenever all of the defensive attention was on him. Grassroots will be a tough out on Sunday, and Jahcobi will be one of the reasons why."
Read more at http://northpolehoops.com/2018/07/22/cnit-14u-17u-top-standouts-from-day-2/#ZpW3WEAg7OF3bCpq.99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlZ___mQiVg

In what world do we need another PG?  Maybe he projects at SG...and yet do we need another G in that class? 

WHAT ABOUT PLAYERS OVER 6'6" COACH???

The coaches might see him more as combo guard/SG. This kid appears to be very athletic and not just your typical "floor general" type of PG. But I haven't seen him play so I don't know.

We landed Nick Robinson who is 6'6". Chris Payton and Skogman are both over 6'6". It's a bummer that we only have 1 scholarship available for 2019. Someone may transfer at the end of the season but we'd miss out on the opportunity to recruit a kid out of HS.

We have (4) serviceable bigs of which only (1) is on the roster after next season.  We are going to be worse off than last year in the PF/C position and that is scary.

If we don't groom a big with the (1) open scholarship for next year we have problems.  Bigs don't come along as fast as guards.  In no world can we expect a Krutwig style freshmen year from any PF/C in our 2020/21 class.  Just a bit concerned to see us transition so abruptly from decades of dominant bigs at VU.

Maybe this is the coaches throwing in the towel on anything remotely C oriented in the future....

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 13, 2018, 08:32:50 PM
We have (4) serviceable bigs of which only (1) is on the roster after next season.  We are going to be worse off than last year in the PF/C position and that is scary.

If we don't groom a big with the (1) open scholarship for next year we have problems.  Bigs don't come along as fast as guards.  In no world can we expect a Krutwig style freshmen year from any PF/C in our 2020/21 class.  Just a bit concerned to see us transition so abruptly from decades of dominant bigs at VU.

Maybe this is the coaches throwing in the towel on anything remotely C oriented in the future....

Skogman may be able to play Center. Maybe we won't be going after the traditional low post guys. Valpo coaching staff always seems to be working on bigs that nobody knows about (example: Jay and Marty's commitment surprised us all). I do agree that we shouldn't be waiting for both the twin towers to graduate to find the big men of the future. I'm sure the coaches have a plan. Let's just hope they land their plan a or b options.

IrishDawg

When Valpo's been really good, their post players are more than just serviceable, but considering how much the team recruits internationally, it's unlikely that any traditional outlets will have knowledge as to who the next guy they bring in will be.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: IrishDawg on September 14, 2018, 06:10:21 AM
When Valpo's been really good, their post players are more than just serviceable, but considering how much the team recruits internationally, it's unlikely that any traditional outlets will have knowledge as to who the next guy they bring in will be.

Solid points, but consider that the coach is still actively recruiting 2019 players (Canada PG 6'3" being the latest).  So I know it's good practice to continue recruiting until the last signed letter arrives to finish your recruiting class, but maybe it also means our current offers are just not progressing to a point of comfort.

All speculation, but then again isn't that nearly 100% of what is posted on this forum!?!?!

VU2014

SIU just offered Skogman. They are also in on Chris Payton's recruitment. They have 5 scholarships to fill as opposed to our one.

VU2014

Skogman's recruitment is blowing up. Slightly reminiscent to AP's recruitment HS senior year. (I'm comparing his skill to AP, just his recruitment) He's on High major's radars but none have pulled the trigger yet but he's getting a ton of love from Mids.

https://twitter.com/WisBBYearbook/status/1040646183545397248

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on September 14, 2018, 02:37:45 PM
SIU just offered Skogman. They are also in on Chris Payton's recruitment. They have 5 scholarships to fill as opposed to our one.

Not to sound nit-picky, but I believe SIU has a 5-player recruiting class, with 4 vacancies remaining to fill.

EddieCabot

I expect Valpo to recruit more than one player for the 2019 class.  The 2019-2020 roster is going to be so loaded than I expect 1 or 2 players to see the writing on the wall and move elsewhere to find playing time. 

They don't really need 2 freshmen coming in next year, so I could see them waiting until the spring, then grabbing some transfers who would sit out in 2019-2020 season and be eligible the following year when plenty of PT will be available.   :twocents:

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on September 16, 2018, 09:20:39 PM
https://twitter.com/aspireacademyky/status/1041484879060451329

Which one is Holloway?

EDIT: Never mind. I'm going to assume he's the one in the Valpo shirt, which I didn't notice till I tapped on the pic and enlarged it.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on September 17, 2018, 12:53:11 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on September 16, 2018, 09:20:39 PM
https://twitter.com/aspireacademyky/status/1041484879060451329

Which one is Holloway?

EDIT: Never mind. I'm going to assume he's the one in the Valpo shirt, which I didn't notice till I tapped on the pic and enlarged it.

Ha, I did the same thing until I zoomed in.  Their website has team roster protected by password.  Anyone know who is on their roster that Valpo might be interested in?

tiny707

How did the Chris Payton visit go over the weekend at SIU? Hoping he makes his decision soon.

VU2014

Welcome to the forum 707. I haven't heard anything about the visit. His recruitment is been pretty quiet. I'm hoping his visit with VU went. That Sal guy on twitter who is a IL insider said he thought he'd either end VU or ISUr of his current offers, but he thought he'd ultimately end up somewhere else.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on September 17, 2018, 05:18:31 PM
Welcome to the forum 707. I haven't heard anything about the visit. His recruitment is been pretty quiet. I'm hoping his visit with VU went. That Sal guy on twitter who is a IL insider said he thought he'd either end VU or ISUr of his current offers, but he thought he'd ultimately end up somewhere else.

Skogman went on an unofficial visit to Texas Tech last weekend.  As someone said, his recruitment is blowing up.  Thinking we better keep offering for 2019...

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 17, 2018, 06:31:30 PM

Skogman went on an unofficial visit to Texas Tech last weekend.  As someone said, his recruitment is blowing up.  Thinking we better keep offering for 2019...

Well, seeing that Texas Tech already has a list of 20 recruits and Skogman isn't on it, and seeing that 10 of the 20 are 3- and 4-Star players and Skogman is only a 2, I don't think there is much
of a concern that they'll steal him away anytime soon.

VULB#62

But WH does he and his family know this?  That is always my concern. P6 lights are sometimes blinding.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on September 17, 2018, 06:44:54 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 17, 2018, 06:31:30 PM

Well, seeing that Texas Tech already has a list of 20 recruits and Skogman isn't on it, and seeing that 10 of the 20 are 3- and 4-Star players and Skogman is only a 2, I don't think there is much
of a concern that they'll steal him away anytime soon.

Your point is well taken for those of us that look at the big picture.  Just unsure (like mentioned) the lights and adrenaline won't overrun logic. 

My observation is that P6 generally wins recruiting battles for the least logical reasons.  It's salesmanship at that level, and they tell the sexiest lies backed up by pro level facilities.  Facilities, btw, that Valpo should NEVER invest in at that level and scope.

VULB#62

Yup, FG05.  Hopefully recruits have not put on rose colored glasses when they go on recruiting trips and they do their homework before and after those trips.

But not having been a recruit who has to choose between being a starter or a bench jockey on a nationally recognized P6 BB team versus being a major contributor in a mid-major program, what motivates a kid like Skogman to gamble he can make it at the highest level (knowing he is not a 4*), versus seriously considering a Valpo where he has a greater chance of breaking out and getting greater recognition?

Good Valpo players have consistently gone on to greater BB things in Europe and the NBA. Why not be a major player with us (with the profile that comes with it) and prolong the dreams as opposed to being a bench player that no one hears about and never having that chance.

IrishDawg

If he's a 2019 recruit and they haven't offered him by now with signing day a couple months away considering they just offered 2 JUCO forwards today... I wouldn't worry too much about it.

VU2014

VU2014

Not surprised. Let's hope we can get a 2-for-1 like we did while Hummel was at Purdue. Scheduling is a completely different ball game then it was 10 years ago but a guy can hope. I respect Painter more than most P6 coaches.

https://twitter.com/ballislife_219/status/1042584034159800323d

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on September 19, 2018, 08:27:09 PM
Not surprised. Let's hope we can get a 2-for-1 like we did while Hummel was at Purdue. Scheduling is a completely different ball game then it was 10 years ago but a guy can hope. I respect Painter more than most P6 coaches.

https://twitter.com/ballislife_219/status/1042584034159800323d

Good for him, hope he does outstanding.

VU2014

Skogman just received a offer from Texas Tech.

https://twitter.com/WisBBYearbook/status/1042612187037085696

VU2014

Pretty much safe to say Skogman won't be headed our way. The coaches would need to have built a strong connection within a very short amount of time for us to even have a chance.

https://twitter.com/WaukWestHoops/status/1044416098618224647

Current Offers for 2019:
-Chris Payton
-David Skogman

VU2014

2019 PF DAVID SKOGMAN QUIETLY MAKING A LOT OF NOISE NATIONALLY
Antonio Curro — National Recruiting
Editor - NY2LASPORTS.COM
September 18, 2018

The talented big was stellar at times this past spring during the NY2LA Basketball Association campaign and that play combined with his continued development thereafter has seen Skogman's recruiting trail pick up substantially and he's quietly become one of the more coveted interior prospects in the 2019 class regionally.  UC-Davis, Southern Illinois, Valparaiso, Elon, North Dakota, Canisius, Sam Houston State, Rice, Air Force, UW-Green Bay, LIU-Brooklyn, Furman, Lafayette, American, Bucknell, and UW-Milwaukee currently have offers out to Skogman.

http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=4200