• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Lots of MMs and Rice and TT.  Many of them throwing out offers like popcorn. There is plenty of time to put a full court press on this kid and show him why he is a great fit and will play a solid role with the Valpo basketball family in the face of different MM cultures and probably a lesser role in the P-6 world.

If he, indeed, is a prime target,never, ever give up till the LTI is signed, sealed and released. And even then if it goes against us, high road!  Leave that door wide open.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 26, 2018, 08:32:27 PM
Lots of MMs and Rice and TT.  Many of them throwing out ffers like popcorn. There is plenty of time to put a full court press on this kid and show him why he is a great fit and will play a solid role with Valpo basketball family in the face of different MM cultures and probably a lesser role in the P-6 world.

I'm wondering if he'll be a Fall Commit or Spring commit. I'm guessing he may drag out his recruitment to the spring with all his recent attention the last few months. Chris Payton's recruitment is radio silent right now.

VUGrad1314

What do you think the silence on Payton's recruitment means? Is he trying to decide or trying to drum up more interest and offers?

VULB#62

As I added to my previous post, never ever give up. I believe we have developed a reputation of recruiting with a sniper rifle, not a shot gun. We develop a smaller pool than most which should say big things to the recruits we chase. It also allows our staff to focus greater attention on a smaller group.  Never, ever give up.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 26, 2018, 10:37:40 PM
What do you think the silence on Payton's recruitment means? Is he trying to decide or trying to drum up more interest and offers?

I'm not sure. Maybe he's hoping for more interest. Or maybe he's in the process of setting up a visit with Murray State who jumped into his recruitment late in the process. Could be a number of things. I know he was on Nevada's radar (many players are, fwiw). If he's not happy with his current offers he might push his commitment back to spring.

VUGrad1314

Yeah I remember reading that he wanted to make a quick decision then all of a sudden we hear nothing.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on September 25, 2018, 08:50:30 AM
Pretty much safe to say Skogman won't be headed our way. The coaches would need to have built a strong connection within a very short amount of time for us to even have a chance.

https://twitter.com/WaukWestHoops/status/1044416098618224647

Current Offers for 2019:
-Chris Payton
-David Skogman

How about Alex Hemenway?

https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/valparaiso

2★SGAlex Hemenway(6-3 170)Medium
2★SFChris Payton(6-7 205)Medium
2★PFDavid Skogman(6-10 200)Medium

VUGrad1314

I think the general consensus is that he won't be coming here. If memory serves, coach Ragland was his primary recruiter and he is no longer on staff having departed for Utah State. That, and we really don't have a positional need for him as talented as he is.

VUBBFan

VUGrad1314

I have a feeling this is really down to Clemson and Belmont. If he picks Belmont it's just another reason why they need to be in the MVC.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 27, 2018, 08:52:04 AM
I have a feeling this is really down to Clemson and Belmont. If he picks Belmont it's just another reason why they need to be in the MVC.

He could do some serious damage against OVC caliber competition. He is a special shooter and he is a very underrated athlete. I think he ultimately ends up at Clemson but we'll see. Bradley was working him pretty hard in the later stages of his recruitment.

VU2014

State Fair is a JUCO in Missouri. It's the same school that the local kid and IU transfer was planning on attending before he landed at MSU last minute.

It could be a sign that things may be looking grim with our 2 HS offers or the coaches could be hedging their bet. Hopefully we're still in play for Chris Payton.

https://twitter.com/Coach_A_Short/status/1045800452082880513?s=20

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on September 28, 2018, 07:56:42 PM
State Fair is a JUCO in Missouri...

There is a small forward at State Fair who is from nearby Hammond: Caleb Coleman.

VUGrad1314

Maybe rather than develop a freshman they're taking the JUCO route in hopes of getting someone who can contribute right away to boost our chances of contention over the next year or two. When's the last time Valpo went the JUCO route?

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 28, 2018, 10:50:03 PM
When's the last time Valpo went the JUCO route?

A year ago, and he's worked out very well so far.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on September 28, 2018, 11:19:46 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 28, 2018, 10:50:03 PM
When's the last time Valpo went the JUCO route?

A year ago, and he's worked out very well so far.

The chances we find another diamond in the rough like markus is pretty rare. Also the coach that discovered him is in Utah now. I'm not saying it isn't possible but it's unlikely for lightning to strike twice so soon.

Fingers crossed the coaches land their plan A or plan B.

VU2014

It sounds like the one of the coaches were scouting in Ohio today.

https://twitter.com/sonnyjohnson32/status/1048337355940216834

valpo64

Does anyone have any updated info on where we stand on possible early signings for 2019-20?

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on October 06, 2018, 11:43:12 AM
Does anyone have any updated info on where we stand on possible early signings for 2019-20?

Haven't heard anything but Division I Basketball early signing Period is November 14, 2018. Hopefully we'll have better understanding of where we stand with certain recruits by then.

valpopal

A 6'10" recruit on campus tomorrow. I believe he also has a 6'11" brother who is very good and only a sophomore!

[tweet]1050536990821605376[/tweet]

VU2014

This is a very big visit for us!! Jaden is one of the Top recruits in the Canada recruiting class. It's impressive that we got him to come on an official visit. He'd be a huge get for us. Fingers crossed the visit goes well!

https://twitter.com/JadenSayNoMore/status/1050536990821605376

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on October 11, 2018, 07:54:12 PM
This is a very big visit for us!! Jaden is one of the Top recruits in the Canada recruiting class. It's impressive that we got him to come on an official visit. He'd be a huge get for us. Fingers crossed the visit goes well!

Am I missing something, several P5 offers but looks REALLLY unpolished offensively.  Either way, coaches know far more than I do so happy to see size being recruited!

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 11, 2018, 08:18:28 PM

Am I missing something, several P5 offers but looks REALLLY unpolished offensively.  Either way, coaches know far more than I do so happy to see size being recruited!

This kid has the potential to be a defensive beast. He's not totally polished offensively but that's normal. Kids with his frame and potential that are somewhat polished don't end up at Mid-Major schools. I'd be really excited to see him work with Coach Gore for a couple years and see his game.

VU2014

Quote from: VU2014 on October 11, 2018, 09:05:55 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 11, 2018, 08:18:28 PM

This kid has the potential to be a defensive beast. He's not totally polished offensively but that's normal. Kids with his frame and potential that are somewhat polished don't end up at Mid-Major schools. I'd be really excited to see him work with Coach Gore for a couple years and see his game.

I'm just thinking out loud here but he seems to be a traditional Center. Are we really going to head into the 2019 season with 3 centers and likely none of them could be on the court at the same time? Does this mean that the coaches are excepting a transfer from Smits or Sorolla at the end of the season? Or maybe one would try going pro in europe early? Smits should be on track to graduate by the end this school year. I'm expecting (hoping) for a breakthrough year from one or both of these guys. They'll be upperclassman and we'll be relying on them to step up they're game on the court. Smits started to breakthrough offensively last season but the defense/rebounding needs to improve. Jay seemed to stall in his development a bit but had sporadic good games. He was by far the better defender of the two of them.

I like the idea of adding a freshman center to groom before relying on him, but 3 traditional centers is pretty uncommon to see on one roster.