• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 28, 2018, 10:50:03 PM
Maybe rather than develop a freshman they're taking the JUCO route in hopes of getting someone who can contribute right away to boost our chances of contention over the next year or two. When's the last time Valpo went the JUCO route?
Markus Golder

Hare are a few JUCO nuggets we have had Darien Walker, Brandon Wood, Ivan Vujic, Zoran Viskovic, Tony Vilcinskas.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on October 11, 2018, 07:54:12 PM
This is a very big visit for us!! Jaden is one of the Top recruits in the Canada recruiting class. It's impressive that we got him to come on an official visit. He'd be a huge get for us. Fingers crossed the visit goes well!

https://twitter.com/JadenSayNoMore/status/1050536990821605376

My word who did that edit for him?  That's a low major job right there.

Roster-wise he doesn't really fill an immediate need, but would be a good get for Valpo (If you want rebounding, he's your guy).  In August the Crusaders weren't even on his list of eight, but my guess is the major programs on his radar are either slow playing him or no playing him since Virginia Tech's the only one to offer him in 2018.

https://twitter.com/JadenSayNoMore/status/1031708472994230272

valpotx

I hope that we get him, just so we can see his retro glasses each game :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on October 12, 2018, 08:25:42 PM
I hope that we get him, just so we can see his retro glasses each game :)

I was thinking the same thing. Reminds me of Horace Grant.

VUGrad1314

We need bigs that can rebound and defend if we're ever going to consistently contend in this conference. It's as simple as that.

vu72

Quote from: IrishDawg on October 12, 2018, 07:31:08 AM
This is a very big visit for us!! Jaden is one of the Top recruits in the Canada recruiting class. It's impressive that we got him to come on an official visit. He'd be a huge get for us. Fingers crossed the visit goes well!

Roster-wise he doesn't really fill an immediate need, but would be a good get for Valpo (If you want rebounding, he's your guy).  In August the Crusaders weren't even on his list of eight, but my guess is the major programs on his radar are either slow playing him or no playing him since Virginia Tech's the only one to offer him in 2018.

So I'm just guessing that this guy would be hard to miss if he were on campus.  Anybody see him at the game today?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on October 13, 2018, 06:21:27 PM
Quote from: IrishDawg on October 12, 2018, 07:31:08 AM

So I'm just guessing that this guy would be hard to miss if he were on campus.  Anybody see him at the game today?

Betting he commits next week.  Just a hunch...

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 14, 2018, 11:16:39 AM

Have you heard anything or just a gut feeling? Valpo's history with Canadian players and Sackey being on the team might help a little. It's a positive sign that we were his first visit. I heard that Virginia Tech has been recruiting him pretty hard, but he's pretty clearly their plan b. Hopefully the visit went well. The MSU coach has been recruiting him since he was back at Mid TN.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on October 14, 2018, 01:15:00 PM

Have you heard anything or just a gut feeling? Valpo's history with Canadian players and Sackey being on the team might help a little. It's a positive sign that we were his first visit. I heard that Virginia Tech has been recruiting him pretty hard, but he's pretty clearly their plan b. Hopefully the visit went well. The MSU coach has been recruiting him since he was back at Mid TN.

100% gut feeling.  Had bigger schools recruiting him (slowed) and being as we are his first official visit in Oct of his senior year....

Also not heard any other visits setup.  Combine that with our success with big men and int'l players.  Guess it just feels like the right combination for Valpo commitment.

Note: his twitter header says born in Chicago.  Not that it's huge, but he took the time to make others aware.

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 14, 2018, 02:09:41 PM

100% gut feeling.  Had bigger schools recruiting him (slowed) and being as we are his first official visit in Oct of his senior year....

Also not heard any other visits setup.  Combine that with our success with big men and int'l players.  Guess it just feels like the right combination for Valpo commitment.

Note: his twitter header says born in Chicago.  Not that it's huge, but he took the time to make others aware.

Good point. If he still has family in the area, they could easily make the trip to see his games.

crusader05

I know that Walker and Joseph's family have both been very open and complimentary about how comfortable they felt having their sons away at Valpo and how they felt they were supported and loved.

I believe I remember reading that this influenced Sackey and I wouldn't be surprised if that could also be an influence here.

IrishDawg

Quote from: crusader05 on October 14, 2018, 02:52:18 PM
I know that Walker and Joseph's family have both been very open and complimentary about how comfortable they felt having their sons away at Valpo and how they felt they were supported and loved.

I believe I remember reading that this influenced Sackey and I wouldn't be surprised if that could also be an influence here.

I'm sure that for more programs than not, players' families feel like their kids are supported and loved, so I would be very surprised if this somehow gave Valpo an inherent advantage over other programs.  It's great that they feel this way, but I don't think it's something that's exclusive to Valpo.

Given how there don't seem to be any other visits set up, it does look good for Valpo, but it doesn't necessarily mean much unless he showed up to Valpo this weekend and thought "This is the place for me."  I have to imagine other schools (especially MSU) are still recruiting him, so we'll see where this goes.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on October 14, 2018, 02:18:06 PM

Good point. If he still has family in the area, they could easily make the trip to see his games.

As I read more on Jaden it seems that his recruiting trail with other teams is not as cold as previously thought.  Still feeling decent that he made the official visit and thinking he would be a solid pickup.  I know a productive Juco PF might be ideal, but size with rebounding and blocks is sorely needed in the coming years.

VU2014

A good article about Jaden Bediako and his recruitment.

https://twitter.com/ny2lasports/status/1051811539349659648

2019 C JADEN BEDIAKO STILL ON THE BOARD
October 15, 2018
6:30am
Nick Aiello — Contributing Editor
NY2LASPORTS.COM

The 2019 class is thirsty for bigs from coast to coast and a talented unheralded yet highly movitated one is quietly generating momemtum in Canada.  "What motivates me is the people in my circle. My mom, my family, and my coaches. These people take time out of their days to drive me to workouts and practices and work with me. I want to be in a situation where I can pay them back for all the good things they helped me with."  2019 Center, Jaden Bediako, of Ridley College Prep (Brampton, Ontario) has been on the radar of some higher profile Division I schools for some time now and he has been consistently performing at a high level on the court to earn those looks.

The 6'10" – 230-pound big man has a great frame that colleges covet in their centers and he moves really well at his size with a nice feel around the post area. With the body and developing game in his tool belt, Bediako is taking his experiences over the years on the court and his ambition to show those who have helped him along the way what their efforts have helped him produce.

Bediako has gained some outstanding experience the last couple years both with his school team and on the AAU circuit with his grassroots program in some highly competitive events. "This past AAU season was one of my best experiences... I played well throughout the circuit and was able to make a name for myself," the touted center commented. He mentioned the Indiana session of EYBL as a critical one for himself and his team as they were very successful in which he took home All-Breakout Team honors. Bediako recorded double-doubles in every game during the Peach Jam preliminary Invitational and led the tournament in rebounding. He and his UPlay Canada teammates also made their way to the Summer Jam by NY2LA Sports and had a solid run in the tournament to the semi-finals thanks in large part to the hustle and play from Bediako who controlled the boards and was solid on both ends of the floor.

Bediako's stock has risen over the year with his hard work and the development that he has shown with his offensive skill set. All the work has put him in the conversation with some of the best prospects coming out of Canada right now, and his production on the AAU circuit is paying off with having options going forward of what college he can attend for school and to further his basketball career. "I feel like I'm one of the best Canadian players on the AAU circuit, but due to playing ball in Canada, I don't get as much exposure to recruiting sites," Bediako mentioned, after also expressing his boost in confidence with his game after seeing a lot of the results of the effort he has put in at the gym and way he was able to compete against other top prospects like James Wiseman, Tre Mitchell, Isaiah Stewart, and Jaden McDaniels.

Going into this final basketball season at Ridley, Bediako says his main goal is simply, but emphatically, to WIN. "Last season my school finished 5th in the Ontario Scholastic Basketball Association tournament... We knocked off the 4th seed RISE Prep and beat the defending champions Orangeville."  With a good head on his shoulders and a realistic look at his team, Bediako feels like they were a young group last year that gained a lot of experience and should be ready to roll this season to take on the best. "We're going to be playing some top teams in the US too, like Brewster Academy, and more... We got better the past 2 years, but I want to come out as a winner, an MVP, and one of the best centers in the Class of 2019," he added with confidence in his team and strong goals for himself.

Bediako has really brought his game a long way and has polished his skills on the offensive side of the ball, but can always fall back on his work he puts in on the glass, dominating the rebounds often. "My strengths are my ability to finish around the basket at a high rate. The right jump hook is money and unstoppable and many players don't know what I'll do next if they take that away, so I always make them keep guessing." Having a drop-step finish in his repertoire now is also a nice touch and he has shown great feels finishing on the rim. Being 6'10" with a big frame, Bediako also knows how to use that size to affect the post and get his teammates open looks on the perimeter with kick-outs and such, as well as controlling the offensive rebounds and getting second or third opportunities for himself or his team.

Bediako is also working hard still to improve himself and his game to be ready to show out this year and to play at the next level in high major college basketball. "The biggest thing I'm working on is changing my diet... I'm eating vegetables and protein at meals, we got a strength trainer at the school now and we lift 3 days a week, so some days I go by myself to lift to make it 4 or 5 times a week," he said. He also added skill development-wise "I'm working on my left hand finishes and rebounding with 2 hands at all times... I've improved my jump shot and looking to shoot it more on face-ups."

What the talented and developing 2019 prospect is gearing up for, is basketball at the next level where he'll be competing against many of the best prospects out there. Bediako currently has offers from USC, Oklahoma, San Diego State, Middle Tennessee State, Toledo, Kent State, Virginia Tech, and Missouri State. Valparaiso is also showing heavy interest right now and he'll be in town there for a visit October 12-14, before likely taking a visit to Virginia Tech later in October. While he is still open to different schools and the recruitment process ongoing, Bediako did mention that he would like to make a decision sometime in November, but he won't rush it until he's completely ready to commit.

Whoever gets Bediako will get a hungry, driven and hard-working big man who consistently rebounds the basketball and has a nice feel around the glass either scoring ball on offense or protecting the rim on the other end of the floor. In that semifinal game against Orangeville last year, Bediako put together an 18-point, 9-rebound performance with 2 blocks. In the finals loss, he was dominant with 22 points and another 9 rebounds. At the 2017 Canada Summer Games (in Winnipeg, Manitoba), Bediako exploded for 27 points, 16 rebounds and 8 blocks in a semifinal game against Quebec. He'll look to add some more big moments and memories throughout this final prep season.

IrishDawg

Really just depends if he takes that Virginia Tech visit.  Va. Tech has 5 spots still open at this point, and Bediako is really only really behind 1 guy (rating-wise) that they're recruiting right now, and experts aren't predicting that guy to go to the Hokies.  So we'll see, but it's hard to compete with playing in the ACC and making the tournament as they have the last couple of years.

VU2014

Quote from: IrishDawg on October 15, 2018, 08:23:40 PM
Really just depends if he takes that Virginia Tech visit.  Va. Tech has 5 spots still open at this point, and Bediako is really only really behind 1 guy (rating-wise) that they're recruiting right now, and experts aren't predicting that guy to go to the Hokies.  So we'll see, but it's hard to compete with playing in the ACC and making the tournament as they have the last couple of years.

Agreed that it will be tough to earn his commitment over VT. It may come down to his potential role at VT and if they see him as the long-term big of the future for them. The last time we beat out VT for a recruit was when David Skara committed to Valpo.

VU2014

Just talked to someone who follows SIU basketball closely and he's hearing that the SIU coaches feel optimistic about their chances of landing Chris Payton, fwiw.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on October 16, 2018, 06:53:34 PM
Just talked to someone who follows SIU basketball closely and he's hearing that the SIU coaches feel optimistic about their chances of landing Chris Payton, fwiw.

Best of luck to the young man, can't say I wasnt hoping we landed him.  My rankings of most preferred left on the board (that we know).

1a) Skogman
1b) Payton
1c) Bediako
4) Hemenway (only because we have sooooo many G)

VU2014

Virginia Tech just landed the #2 Canadian recruit in the 2019 class. Not sure if it will impact Bediako's decision. They play two different positions. VT currently has 3 available scholarships. They have no future Center and Bediako is one of the 3 Centers they have offered in the 2019 class. Bediako follows him on twitter.

https://twitter.com/Elias_NPH/status/1053038775532756998

FieldGoodie05

So not even a scholarship offer to the Canadian after his official visit?  Guess we also had a visit from Bruninga (or was it just a game) and no official offer was extended....

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 20, 2018, 06:49:06 PM

So not even a scholarship offer to the Canadian after his official visit?  Guess we also had a visit from Bruninga (or was it just a game) and no official offer was extended....

I don't know for sure but I got the sense he was offered but never officially announced it on social media or anything.

I think his Virginia Tech visit is coming up soon. It seems like they may be our main competition. VT has landed 3 commitment within the last few weeks.

VU2014

As that recent article mentioned Bediako's offensive game has made strides over the last year. He scored 26 points in his most recent game. Not sure what the level of competition is but he led his team in scoring in a victory. He seems to be a solid FT shooter for a big.

https://twitter.com/RidleyAthletics/status/1053442697439141890

valporun

Quote from: EddieCabot on July 19, 2018, 09:40:14 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on July 18, 2018, 10:24:52 PM
https://twitter.com/Illinois_Stars/status/1019698000082464769

Don't know anything about these kids, but if the competition is IUPUI and UWM, I'm not enthused.  We need to aim higher.

Chris Burnell from Rockford East has been a varsity standout since Freshman year. I have followed his growth the last three years. He's a top kid with a good attitude.