• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

https://twitter.com/WisBBYearbook/status/1061661189967671296

I think our best hope of landing Skogman is if he signs before Nov 14 signing deadline this Wednesday. Who knows where we'll stand his recruitment if it extends till April.

vusupporter

Quote from: VU2014 on November 10, 2018, 10:13:25 AM
Something to keep in mind is that the "early signing period" ends on November 14. His visit just so happens to be right before the end of the signing period so maybe that's a positive sign if he's looking to make his commitment before the HS basketball season gets in full swing.

The signing period begins on November 14, not ends.

VU2014

Quote from: vusupporter on November 12, 2018, 01:20:15 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on November 10, 2018, 10:13:25 AM
Something to keep in mind is that the "early signing period" ends on November 14. His visit just so happens to be right before the end of the signing period so maybe that's a positive sign if he's looking to make his commitment before the HS basketball season gets in full swing.

The signing period begins on November 14, not ends.

My bad. You are correct. It's from Nov 14-21.

FWalum

Quote from: VUBBFan on November 12, 2018, 03:14:25 PM
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1062090464856367104
Interesting, I am not sure if I was coaching if I would make such a pronouncement, even if I did or didn't expect a recruit to sign early.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

IrishDawg

Still tons of time left for the 2019 class - Given the amount of upperclassmen that could come back, most of the activity (transfers especially) are going to occur in the spring.  If you find a guy that fits and wants to be at Valpo, by all means go after him, but I think next year's roster should already mostly be set

vu72

Quote from: IrishDawg on November 13, 2018, 09:12:15 AM

Still tons of time left for the 2019 class - Given the amount of upperclassmen that could come back, most of the activity (transfers especially) are going to occur in the spring.  If you find a guy that fits and wants to be at Valpo, by all means go after him, but I think next year's roster should already mostly be set
[/b]

I think that's right.  Obviously egos can come into play and as the season progresses and court time is reduced or nonexistent, some may choose to transfer.  The current junior class would find that a tough decision as they would have to sit out a year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Pgmado

Quote from: vu72 on November 13, 2018, 09:58:33 AM
Quote from: IrishDawg on November 13, 2018, 09:12:15 AM

[/b]

I think that's right.  Obviously egos can come into play and as the season progresses and court time is reduced or nonexistent, some may choose to transfer.  The current junior class would find that a tough decision as they would have to sit out a year.

The majority of these juniors are going to graduate this year.

crusader05

I think Smits for sure is going to graduate this year, unsure about others. However Derrick and Jaume both seem to have become a larger part of campus life through joining fraternities and Derrick was on Homecoming Court this year so they may not be as eager to leave. I am unsure of Micah but I don't know where he lands that is better as this staff seems to believe strongly in him despite his struggles on the court on occasion. I can't see some of out other transfers looking to do it again.

A lot will depend on what plays out on the court but I don't know that we have any candidates who would want to transfer at this point outside of one of the centers, put if they maintain good playing time then I don't know what the upside would be for them

vufan75

Quote from: VU2014 on November 15, 2018, 12:49:21 PM
We're in Chris Payton's final 4

https://twitter.com/THEchrispayton/status/1063110830621949953?s=20
Subliminal message. Is he wearing a Crusader uniform? Wishful thinking by me probably. If PT early is a major factor for Chris, can't see where he can do better than Valpo. Plus get a great education!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

valpo64

crusader05

I thought he was one who said he wanted to be done by the Fall but we will see. I have heard that SIU thinks they have a good chance with him but not much else.

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on November 15, 2018, 02:08:16 PM
Is he an early signee?

I think he's going to wait out Illinois' Recruitment situation and see if they have a spot for him. That will likely force his recruitment into the Spring. Just a hunch.

He initially said he wanted to complete his recruitment in the Fall but that was before the Illini re-entered his recruitment.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on November 15, 2018, 03:36:20 PM
Is he an early signee?

I think he's going to wait out Illinois' Recruitment situation and see if they have a spot for him. That will likely force his recruitment into the Spring. Just a hunch.

He initially said he wanted to complete his recruitment in the Fall but that was before the Illini re-entered his recruitment.

Knowing he is not the Illini's top prospect by the mere fact that "he's going to wait out Illinois' Recruitment situation and see if they have a spot for him" says something.  He is sincerely wanted at Valpo.  No waiting. No guessing.  With his talent, he will be a valuable addition to this team and he will possibly be an immediate starter like Javon this year, right?  His choice right now is: start or at least be part of the main rotation at Valpo right out of the blocks OR bide his time on the bench at U of I and hope the next recruiting class doesn't bring in someone who leapfrogs over him.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 16, 2018, 09:33:48 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on November 15, 2018, 03:36:20 PM
Is he an early signee?

Knowing he is not the Illini's top prospect by the mere fact that "he's going to wait out Illinois' Recruitment situation and see if they have a spot for him" says something.  He is sincerely wanted at Valpo.  No waiting. No guessing.  With his talent, he will be a valuable addition to this team and he will possibly be an immediate starter like Javon this year, right?  His choice right now is: start or at least be part of the main rotation at Valpo right out of the blocks OR bide his time on the bench at U of I and hope the next recruiting class doesn't bring in someone who leapfrogs over him.

A lot of young athletes think playing a Power Conference validates them as a player. It might not be the best thing for his development as a basketball player but it's what they want. It feels like a somewhat similar situation as Sasha Stefanovic. He was close to committing to Valpo but once Purdue entered his recruitment it was game for VU because he badly want to play in the Big 10. It's slightly different because I think his family had close ties to PU and were part of the boosters club and I'm not sure if that's the case for Payton. Priorities are different for every young man and it's their decision.

We'll see how it all turns out. If I had to guess this is the scenario that is playing out. The Illini coaching staff has a Plan A, B or C and Payton is plan D. Illinois has struck out on a lot of "higher" level recruits and that's why they re-entered Payton's recruitment. The staff has probably told him that "you're are guy if things go south with other guys." That type of stuff happens all the time in Power Conference recruiting. If things don't work out with Illinois then SIU and Middle Tennessee will be serious threats in landing him as well. SIU will have a huge 2019 recruiting class and can offer playing time. He also knows a lot of the players on that roster.

wh

Given that Payton said he wanted to make his decision during the fall signing period, and given that Matt said he didn't expect to make an announcement during the current signing period, might we conclude that his announcement is eminent and his choice will not be Valpo. The fact that he announced his 4 finalists is probably intended to demonstrate that he has given his final decision proper consideration this time around.

SanityLost17

Plus, even if we did get him.  If going power 5 is that important to him the likelihood is we would not have him for 4 years. 

IrishDawg

Quote from: wh on November 16, 2018, 12:53:56 PM
Given that Payton said he wanted to make his decision during the fall signing period, and given that Matt said he didn't expect to make an announcement during the current signing period, might we conclude that his announcement is eminent and his choice will not be Valpo. The fact that he announced his 4 finalists is probably intended to demonstrate that he has given his final decision proper consideration this time around.

I don't know if this is the case for this particular recruitment, but a lot of times recruits will stick a school in their "Final 3,4,5, etc." even if they have no intention of going there, and chances are the coaching staff already knows whether or not they have a legit chance.  I'd be surprised if he picked Valpo, but you never know.

bbtds

Quote from: vufan75 on November 15, 2018, 01:23:57 PMSubliminal message. Is he wearing a Crusader uniform? Wishful thinking by me probably.

Chris Payton plays for Bloomington (IL) HS which are the Purple Raiders. That is a gold uniform with the word Raiders across the front. Those are the letters BHS across his uniform shorts.

wh

Quote from: IrishDawg on November 16, 2018, 01:43:38 PM
Quote from: wh on November 16, 2018, 12:53:56 PM

I don't know if this is the case for this particular recruitment, but a lot of times recruits will stick a school in their "Final 3,4,5, etc." even if they have no intention of going there, and chances are the coaching staff already knows whether or not they have a legit chance.  I'd be surprised if he picked Valpo, but you never know.

Yeah, it's good to show schools you were considering but didn't choose some love in case things don't work out with your school of choice.

VU2014

I hope we'd be able to beat LIU-Brooklyn for a recruit. Skogman is being recruited by UWM also.

https://twitter.com/WisBBYearbook/status/1064707528053989378

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on November 20, 2018, 08:27:10 PM
I hope we'd be able to beat LIU-Brooklyn for a recruit. Skogman is being recruited by UWM also.

He was treated to a game with 53 fouls and 80 free throws. On the plus side, Milwaukee won in front of their most exclusive group of 895 fans (actual attendance was about half that according to their board).

Would be surprised if UWM was a legit contender for Skogman, and not because of last night's game.

VU2014

Quote from: IrishDawg on November 21, 2018, 04:40:17 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on November 20, 2018, 08:27:10 PM

He was treated to a game with 53 fouls and 80 free throws. On the plus side, Milwaukee won in front of their most exclusive group of 895 fans (actual attendance was about half that according to their board).

Would be surprised if UWM was a legit contender for Skogman, and not because of last night's game.

I think UWM's best chance to turn things around is if Pat Baldwin's son plays for uwm one day. I believe I remember hearing that he is a projected Top 5 recruit in the nation for the 2021 class. He has one and done potential. I could see a P5 team paying Baldwin top dollar to be an assistant on their staff if things go south for him a UWM. Baldwin was actually a very highly thought of assistant with Northwestern before taking the UWM job.