• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Don't know about Bediako possibly being another Vashil.  Bediako looks overweight and can barely jump. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 15, 2019, 09:59:37 AM
Don't know about Bediako possibly being another Vashil.  Bediako looks overweight and can barely jump. 

Things like weight and strength are generally not a problem in college. Look at Cameron Krutwig. He lost something close to 50 pounds from high school to college by dieting and working with the strength and conditioning coach.

oklahomamick

wingspan cant be changed and it looked like Vashil's is much greater than Bediako.  I just don't see it.   
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Why are we talking about Bediako?  He has committed to Santa Clara on December 11th.

VU2014

I know we've discussed Emmanuel Akot in the past on this message board. He's good friends with Daniel Sackey. It's a pipe dream

https://twitter.com/evandaniels/status/1085004336420261888?s=21

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on January 15, 2019, 05:03:15 PM
I know we've discussed Emmanuel Akot in the past on this message board. He's good friends with Daniel Sackey. It's a pipe dream

https://twitter.com/evandaniels/status/1085004336420261888?s=21

I don't know if he'll land here, but I don't think it's a pipe dream at all. His situation stat-wise/Star-wise isn't much different than Eron's. 

justducky

Quote from: wh on January 15, 2019, 05:15:54 PMI don't know if he'll land here, but I don't think it's a pipe dream at all. His situation stat-wise/Star-wise isn't much different than Eron's. 

Hmmm. I'd much rather talk about Akot than Bediako.  :thumbsup:  My memory is that we were looking at him long before we signed Sackey so who knows? A victory tonight over a final 4 team might even help with his thinking.

VU2014

Two Valpo recruits.

https://twitter.com/Evan_Flood/status/1085636737622257664

WAUKESHA, Wis. -- Wisconsin assistant coaches Joe Krabbenhoft and Howard Moore watched Waukesha (Wis.) West 2019 F/C David Skogman and 2021 guard Cameron Palesse on Tuesday.

Palesse scored a game-high 21 points to lead the Wolverines past Racine Case. The 6-foot-4, 175-pound sophomore is receiving interest from Wisconsin, LIU-Brooklyn, Valparaiso, Southern Illinois, Portland, and others.

Palessee visited Madison in November during the exhibition win over UW-Oshkosh.

"It was crazy," Palesse told Badger247. "I would love to play there some day. I've never experienced a game quite like that. Even though it was a preseason game, it was still packed in there."

Skogman, an unsigned senior, has offers from Texas Tech, Rutgers, and a host of mid-major programs.

Forced to leave the game early after being scratched in the eye, Skogman tallied 10 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 blocks. Skogman is averaging 18.8 points, and 13.5 rebounds per game this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S25jaUud4z0

VU2014

Not really sure where to put this because Brandon Newman is firmingly committed to Purdue but we've discussed him a lot of this thread.

Brandon is a special kid and he spends a lot of time training at the ARC. I wish him well and hope he finds a ton of success in College and hopefully beyond.

https://www.instagram.com/dreadedupg5123vct_w_/p/BsuMmNRBBnu/

https://twitter.com/dreadedupg/status/1085752072522260480?s=21

NativeCheesehead

Valpo born and bred. Wish him the absolute best.

That being said, someone get that key from him.

valpotx

Why, as a private university, would someone that is not tied to the university, be allowed to practice in our gym?  Was this time paid for as some type of private lesson?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on January 17, 2019, 02:42:43 AM
Why, as a private university, would someone that is not tied to the university, be allowed to practice in our gym?  Was this time paid for as some type of private lesson?

Do you really care if a local kid gets some shots up at the gym? Not a big deal. I'm pretty sure they got the green light to use the gym whenever it's available.

Valpo2013

I agree
Facilities were always hard to come by for those of us that tried to get in some rec time-that were PAYING students
Why the free for all with locals?

Valpo2013

Quote from: VU2014 on January 17, 2019, 07:37:24 AM

Do you really care if a local kid gets some shots up at the gym? Not a big deal. I'm pretty sure they got the green light to use the gym whenever it's available.

Where does it end
If you let one in then many more will follow
Soon the place gets torn up or worse...someone gets hurt and sues the school
Send them to the YMCA

crusader05

my guess is that it's not really "open to everyone" but they probably want to develop a good relationship with perhaps the high school and coach and want to be a positive place in player's minds. Yeah Newman is going to Purdue but he's also a good way to get Purdue to the Arc and, if his first year or so doesn't go as planned you may be pretty happy you didn't ban him from the gym when he turned down your offer.

wh

Not only should we not object, it's a smart strategy in the event there's a second chance recruiting opportunity down the road. Valpo High graduates Dave Redmon, Casey Schmidt, Robbie Hummel and Scott Martin continued to drop by the ARC after they committed to other schools and when they were home on breaks to shoot in private or play in pre-arranged pickup games with other talented college players and ex-players from around the area. Homer welcomed every one with open arms as only he could. When things didn't work out for Casey (Arizona) and Dave (Arkansas-Little Rock) they transferred to Valpo and changed the course of history for the program. Both are in the Athletic Hall of Fame. Neither Hummel or Martin transferred to Valpo, but when Martin transferred from Purdue, his final 2 choices were Valpo and ND. He chose ND and started at forward for 2 powerhouse teams in his final 2 years.

The moral of the story - don't burn bridges with local players. You never know what the future might hold.

valpo84

I want as many talented players in the region playing at our gym, by the way Hilltop is a basketball practice facility, refurbished for basketball.  You want players in there competing against our players, having fun in pick up games and developing relationships.  Wherever a good game is, is where you find players. Let Valpo U be THE PLACE in the Region for those workouts and games. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Valpo2013 on January 17, 2019, 08:36:29 AM

Where does it end
If you let one in then many more will follow
Soon the place gets torn up or worse...someone gets hurt and sues the school
Send them to the YMCA

Great idea, run off all region players (on this matter).  Even if we presently have (2) transfers sitting out this year who presumably felt the "we are family" vibe from Valpo throughout their high school recruiting process.

And yes, it's borederline a stretch to call Chicago and Indy "region" locations but it's a prime example of what an open door policy can cultivate...

This guys opinion anyways.

Valpo89

VHS coach Barak Coolman and Matt Lottich also have a good relationship.
I used to sneak into the ARC/Hilltop to play when I was in high school or home from IU. Not a big deal.

NativeCheesehead

If we nabbed a recruit from WL would Painter let him use their practice facility?

justducky

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 17, 2019, 11:34:08 AMIf we nabbed a recruit from WL would Painter let him use their practice facility?

If that door was open prior to commitment then yes that door would stay open. WL and Purdue are a tightly knit community just like VU and VHS.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 17, 2019, 11:34:08 AM
If we nabbed a recruit from WL would Painter let him use their practice facility?

Comparing a B1G10 power to Valpo doesn't compute.  Sorry.  This seems quite vindictive to a kid that did nothing wrong to Valpo, no?

valpotx

I get the creation of goodwill, but the fact is that they don't pay towards the school in any way, and it is a private university.  If you are a student paying fees to use the ARC, would you find it fair that folks can come in and use it for free?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on January 17, 2019, 03:45:01 PM
I get the creation of goodwill, but the fact is that they don't pay towards the school in any way, and it is a private university.  If you are a student paying fees to use the ARC, would you find it fair that folks can come in and use it for free?

They already don't show up to the ARC, so this whole convo is all to do about nothing.

M