• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

There's little doubt Lottich can recruit. What we're waiting on is the on-court results. Hopefully they come next year... Go Valpo!

VU2014

I'm wondering if Chris Payton will decommit from SIU. Probably waiting to see who the new SIU coach is before deciding. It's going to be Bryan Mullins if he wants the job. If he decommits, Valpo might reenter the mix.

humbleopinion

I would like to think that Donovan Clay's end-of -season recognition would make Valpo more attractive to recruits.
Beamin' Beacons

NativeCheesehead

Payton bailed on his high school team late in the year.  My guess is there is something going on with this kid we want no part of. 

tiny707

How about Chase Adams, Rashaun Agee, and Lual Akot for our current open spots?

VU2014

If the Coaching Staff had any vacation plans this offseason they can say bye bye to those... Need to hit the recruiting trail HARD

I have a feeling we'll see our fair share of grad-transfers coming in.

VU2014

Quote from: tiny707 on March 19, 2019, 05:17:15 PM
How about Chase Adams, Rashaun Agee, and Lual Akot for our current open spots?

Can't have two tiny PGs and Chase Adams is good friends with JFL. I'm Javon won't have many negative things to say about Valpo but it would be a odd thing to see happen.

VUBBFan

NativeCheesehead

I hope Lottich pitched a tent in his front yard.

valpolaw

I wonder if the coaching staff had any back up plans for recruits in the event of a transfer.  Unfortunately, what is probably more likely is Lottich thought everyone was coming back, had no back up plans, and now he is scrambling around to patch together what he can.  That is my guess based on his prior statement that he didn't expect much movement before all the transfers were announced. 

FWalum

Quote from: valpolaw on March 20, 2019, 01:43:33 PM
I wonder if the coaching staff had any back up plans for recruits in the event of a transfer.  Unfortunately, what is probably more likely is Lottich thought everyone was coming back, had no back up plans, and now he is scrambling around to patch together what he can.  That is my guess based on his prior statement that he didn't expect much movement before all the transfers were announced. 
I assume from your moniker that you are an attorney... was wondering when you, if interviewed by a reporter about a case, told the reporter that you expected to lose. Did you really expect him to say that he was anticipating a bunch of transfers???? I guess that he should have said that he didn't expect any movement but was prepared if there was.... even that statement probably would have been analyzed in the negative.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpolaw

No I would never expect to lose a case  ;D :thumbsup:

I agree he probably should have said something vague to suggest he didn't expect it to happen but would address accordingly if it did.  Hindsight is always 20/20 though and I think there are bigger issues than that. 

VU2014

From what I've heard the coaching staff knew losing Smits and Bakari was a possibility but the Freeman transfer, not so much. Sounds like Bakari saw the writing on the wall with his role diminishing next season. The coaching staff has been recruiting bigs for a while now

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on March 20, 2019, 05:23:10 PM

From what I've heard the coaching staff knew losing Smits and Bakari was a possibility but the Freeman transfer, not so much. Sounds like Bakari saw the writing on the wall with his role diminishing next season. The coaching staff has been recruiting bigs for a while now

I've heard Valpo is already looking at a shooting guard transfer as a possibility to fill Freeman's spot. From a PR perspective, it would be smart for the program to make a quick move to change the momentum sooner rather than later and get folks looking toward the future again.

bbtds

I've heard and I think I stated earlier that I believed Lottich was prepared for at least 1 transfer. The 3 so far will probably change some plans but opens spots for grad transfers that can play immediately.

crusader05

He stated in the interview that he didn't expect "a lot" of movement and there was this tweet at the beginning of March before transfers were announced:
https://twitter.com/MatthewBain_/status/1102587942718107648

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on March 20, 2019, 05:47:44 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 20, 2019, 05:23:10 PM

I've heard Valpo is already looking at a shooting guard transfer as a possibility to fill Freeman's spot. From a PR perspective, it would be smart for the program to make a quick move to change the momentum sooner rather than later and get folks looking toward the future again.

Hopefully one that can shoot better than 28% from the 3!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Are we seriously taking shots at JFL out the door? How can anyone blame him for choosing to leave? He was one of the few bright spots to watch after the season totally went off the rails.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 21, 2019, 04:58:52 PM
Are we seriously taking shots at JFL out the door? How can anyone blame him for choosing to leave? He was one of the few bright spots to watch after the season totally went off the rails.

I want Javon back. I said I thought he made the decision to transfer too early. If Javon decides to rescind his transfer I would be overjoyed. That is all I said about Javon.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: bbtds on March 21, 2019, 06:27:46 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 21, 2019, 04:58:52 PMAre we seriously taking shots at JFL out the door? How can anyone blame him for choosing to leave? He was one of the few bright spots to watch after the season totally went off the rails.
I want Javon back. I said I thought he made the decision to transfer too early. If Javon decides to rescind his transfer I would be overjoyed. That is all I said about Javon.

That was directed at 72's comment not yours.

crusaderjoe

And so, after yesterday's results, we have an Indiana High School State Championship team right in the heart of NWI.  Congratulations to the Andrean 59ers.  With the recent departures, is VU accelerating any kind of interest with any kids from there either for next year or beyond?

M

Kyle Ross has been in the ARC a time or two.

VU2014

Quote from: M on March 24, 2019, 02:46:07 PM

Kyle Ross recruitment feels similar to Brandon Newman's recruitment to Valpo. Hell of a player but a clear long shot to land at VU. Nice to see the coaching staff building a relationship with him though. Need to shoot your shot to give yourself a chance.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on March 24, 2019, 02:55:14 PM

Kyle Ross recruitment feels similar to Brandon Newman's recruitment to Valpo. Hell of a player but a clear long shot to land at VU. Nice to see the coaching staff building a relationship with him though. Need to shoot your shot to give yourself a chance.

And where is one of the sources that Kyle Ross' friends and relatives get their info on Valpo MBB?

I feel Valpo is still a great place to play basketball for 4 years and get one of the best educations in the Midwest and be molded into a very successful male adult. I know there are a majority of people who post on this message board who feel the same way.

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on March 24, 2019, 04:16:29 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 24, 2019, 02:55:14 PM

And where is one of the sources that Kyle Ross' friends and relatives get their info on Valpo MBB?

What?  ???