• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusader05

I think BBTDS point is that a lot of people looking at the school may find their way to this message board as they make their decision and his concern seems to be that this board itself could scare people off.

VU2014

Quote from: crusader05 on March 24, 2019, 04:41:52 PM
I think BBTDS point is that a lot of people looking at the school may find their way to this message board as they make their decision and his concern seems to be that this board itself could scare people off.

Ahh gotcha. Yeah I always wonder how much this Board gets frequented by recruits and their parents, as well as current players. Reading the message board doesn't always give the best picture of the state of the program because we tend to magnify every little thing here. ex: Lottich's post-game comments, etc.

VULB#62

However, comparably speaking, if you go to many of the boards of teams we are competing against for players, don't you think ours is a bit more civil and thoughtful?  No F-bombs, not much in the way of totally destroying one's own players, acknowledging opponent accomishments when deserved, and pretty much optimistic and one that reflects a genuine love of the sport. 

VU2014

VUGrad1314

We'll be playing a road game at our own gym. Nice to see a rivalry developing though. There's very fertile ground for one.

VUGrad1314

The very fact that he have people trying to rein posters in and who post messages that show genuine concern for how the fanbase comes off/looks to outsiders shows what a civil thoughtful and all around great board this is.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 24, 2019, 04:52:08 PM
However, comparably speaking, if you go to many of the boards of teams we are competing against for players, don't you think ours is a bit more civil and thoughtful?  No F-bombs, not much in the way of totally destroying one's own players, acknowledging opponent accomishments when deserved, and pretty much optimistic and one that reflects a genuine love of the sport. 

If you want to see lack of civility, go to the Butler board. Every time they lose, the whole bunch rips their players and coach unmercifully for the next 48 hours. If they win, all is forgiven - until their next loss that is. If anyone was going to scare off potential recruits, it would be that crew. Yet, look how well they do, this year's last place finish not withstanding.

IrishDawg

Quote from: wh on March 25, 2019, 09:29:02 PM

If you want to see lack of civility, go to the Butler board. Every time they lose, the whole bunch rips their players and coach unmercifully for the next 48 hours. If they win, all is forgiven - until their next loss that is. If anyone was going to scare off potential recruits, it would be that crew. Yet, look how well they do, this year's last place finish not withstanding.

Agreed - main reason why I don't post there anymore.  It's an insufferable cesspool of negativity.  Also, their last place is similar to what Valpo's done the last couple of years in the Valley in that 2-3 more wins and all of a sudden they're in 3rd vs. tied for last.

I will say that some players and families can get scared off by that, especially if they're concerned that they won't be coached by the same guy for all 4 years, but how prevalent that is can be up for debate.  IU has some of the most negative fans out there and they still manage to pull in great recruiting classes year after year.  UCLA has been a dumpster fire and still gets good recruiting classes.  Personally, I don't think it's as big of a deal as some may make it out to be (DePaul has a great recruiting class for a program that has basically done nothing the last 20+ years), but I won't deny that it can have an impact on some recruits.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on March 25, 2019, 09:29:02 PM

Although Butler has a lot more avenues to get their message across about their university. Pretty much on a nightly basis Butler is mentioned on Indy TV stations all across Central Indiana. They also have a much bigger name recognition since their two Final Fours. Valpo is much more dependent on it's valpo.edu website and the only really well known message board for the university, this message board.

VUGrad1314

How well known do you think this board is? I've lived in Valpo almost all my life I went to VU for five years I had heard a bit about the existence of a message board but didn't know anyone who posted on it. I finally found this board quite by accident looking for information about the MVC rumors.

tiny707

Any idea at all who we are targeting? I think team chemistry is vital. Hoping more kids from southern Illinois for Donovan, more kids from Canada, more kids from the region(Fazekas and McMillian) and more from Chicago(Robinson).

truth219

I don't care where they come from...i just want talented basketball players

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 28, 2019, 04:13:37 PM
How well known do you think this board is? I've lived in Valpo almost all my life I went to VU for five years I had heard a bit about the existence of a message board but didn't know anyone who posted on it. I finally found this board quite by accident looking for information about the MVC rumors.

I suppose my experience comes from people who only read the message board but never post on it. Also I was amazed at the number of friends and relatives of players who have even posted here. Alec Peters, Ryan Broekhoff, etc all have had relatives who have posted here. I'm sure we could come up with a long list of players with friends and relatives that have posted here. I believe the coaches (Homer, Scott, Bryce and Matt L) have all told their players to stay off this specific board.

valpopal

Interesting tidbit to watch: Vijay Blackmon has decided to transfer from Indiana University looking for more playing time, probably at a mid-major. He was a walk-on, has two eligibility years left, an academic all-Big 10 who graduates this spring, and is immediately eligible. He is the younger brother of former IU standout James Blackmon, Jr. Vijay was a high school all-star honorable mention, scoring 1,500 pts. at Marion, and he has another brother who is now a star player at Marion in the 2021 class, coached by his father, James Blackmon Sr., a former runner-up Indiana Mr. Basketball who played at Kentucky.

Apparently can shoot from the 3-point line:
[tweet]1095222183289331712[/tweet]

tiny707

Does Vijay know Eric or Ryan? Could be a great match especially if they are friends.

tiny707

I think Joey Brunk and Vijay Blackman would be two great pick ups.

NativeCheesehead

After the last two years I'm not going to get too excited about potential recruits. I'm going to wait for commitments and then figure out where they fit and how they affect the program.

Safe to say April-September probably do more for Lottich's job security than November-February.

usc4valpo

Crusader05's comments are way off. This is a very tame board and there's reality in what a lot of people are saying. You get great recruiting by running a great program, not by covering up negatives on a fan message board.

Again, the problem is not primarily or nor even Lottich, there are bigger issues. IMO, the program needs more funding.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpopal on March 30, 2019, 04:45:48 PMInteresting tidbit to watch: Vijay Blackmon has decided to transfer from Indiana University looking for more playing time, probably at a mid-major. He was a walk-on, has two eligibility years left, an academic all-Big 10 who graduates this spring, and is immediately eligible. He is the younger brother of former IU standout James Blackmon, Jr. Vijay was a high school all-star honorable mention, scoring 1,500 pts. at Marion, and he has another brother who is now a star player at Marion in the 2021 class, coached by his father, James Blackmon Sr., a former runner-up Indiana Mr. Basketball who played at Kentucky. Apparently can shoot from the 3-point line: [tweet]1095222183289331712[/tweet]

Seems like the kind of player we need. Are we connected to him?

tiny707

I believe Holloway and Eron are connected to Vijay. This would be a good fit.

VULB#62

6-2, 185. Played one season for St. Francis, xferred to IU. Mature (22). Solid family. Made the difficult transition from NAIA to P5.  In search of playing time to end his college career. A top mid-major that needs outside shooting, like, ummmm, Valpo would be an ideal fit.

EddieCabot

Boyd looks like a nice addition ... what's his connection to Valpo?

VU2014

Quote from: EddieCabot on April 02, 2019, 06:16:28 AM
Boyd looks like a nice addition ... what's his connection to Valpo?

No strong connection.

Ironically Boyd is teammates with Golder's good friend and former teammate Sam Dowd who played JUCO with Markus.

crusader05

My guess is this is more of a, might as well throw your hat in the ring kind of situation. Too good to ignore but looks like some steep competition.