• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mp91

Admittedly, I only casually follow the recruiting trail so feel free to update me if I am incorrect. But, with the recent scholarship openings, I have been looking into potential replacements. If you look at the 247 rankings, 18 of the top 20 high school players in Indiana are committed (obviously, none to Valpo, although a lot of them are committed to mid majors). So, 2 of them are uncommitted, Dexter Shouse and Jalen Windham. According to 247, neither of them have had any "interest" from Valpo. Seems kind of weird, doesn't it? If you're getting interest from South Dakota, Toledo, IUPUI, Miami of Ohio, Memphis, and similar schools, why isn't Valpo in the mix? I understand that Valpo originally only had a few openings for this year, but recruitment starts when these guys are freshmen and sophomores. Just seems weird that we were never in on these guys even just casually (if the site's info is accurate)

And, now, maybe these could be potential targets? Has anyone heard anything about where they are headed or if we are involved?

crusader05

Just because Valpo hasn't expressed interest doesn't mean, if i'm correct, that the coaches may not have contacted maybe someone else about them. I'm sure for some recruits there are extenuating issues that knock them out, be it no interest in Valpo on their end, behavior or academic issues, or just a desire to go somewhere away from home.

Some are good enough you throw your hat in no matter what(Sasha was attainable as long as Purdue showed no interest, once they got it, everyone who knew the kid said it was lights out for everyone else).But you only can develop so many relationships and you need to recognize a dead end early otherwise you're gonna spread yourself to thin.

Has Skogman committed yet? Is he that dedicated to getting to a big player that he's hoping once the transfer carousel slows a bit he'll have a better shot?

tiny707

How about Michael Moreno, James Hampshire, and Tony Hall?

EddieCabot

Quote from: mp91 on April 02, 2019, 11:44:03 AM
Admittedly, I only casually follow the recruiting trail so feel free to update me if I am incorrect. But, with the recent scholarship openings, I have been looking into potential replacements. If you look at the 247 rankings, 18 of the top 20 high school players in Indiana are committed (obviously, none to Valpo, although a lot of them are committed to mid majors). So, 2 of them are uncommitted, Dexter Shouse and Jalen Windham. According to 247, neither of them have had any "interest" from Valpo. Seems kind of weird, doesn't it? If you're getting interest from South Dakota, Toledo, IUPUI, Miami of Ohio, Memphis, and similar schools, why isn't Valpo in the mix? I understand that Valpo originally only had a few openings for this year, but recruitment starts when these guys are freshmen and sophomores. Just seems weird that we were never in on these guys even just casually (if the site's info is accurate)

And, now, maybe these could be potential targets? Has anyone heard anything about where they are headed or if we are involved?

[tweet]1112763303049125888[/tweet]

VU2014

For 4 year players unless they are pretty under the radar it's tough land a commitment from them without having established relationship with the kid. It's pretty late in the game in terms of HS recruits. Kids have already narrowed down the schools they are considering in their Top 3-5. It's pretty clear Valpo didn't plan to have this many scholarships open at this time. Maybe they land a mystery high school kid in the 2019 class but I'd expect the roster to be filled out by at least 2 grad-transfers at this point.

GoldenCrusader87

Here's my hope...

Since MLB made it public that Matt *WILL* be the coach for the 19-20 season, that *should* provide at least grad transfers with some hope that there will be continuity here for their final year. Now, maybe our lack of grad programs holds us back some for guys who want to transfer but also see the importance of earning a master's in something they can use and are interested in...?

NativeCheesehead

According to Instagram both Lottich and Luke back in town. Wonder if we'll hear something soon.

vu72

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on April 02, 2019, 02:21:44 PMNow, maybe our lack of grad programs holds us back some for guys

If you graduated in 87 and haven't stayed close to academics at Valpo, you may be in for some surprises.  Valpo now offers a variety of Masters and even PhD programs, including a Masters in Sports Administration and a highly regarded MBA programs with 8 disciplines.

https://www.valpo.edu/graduate-school/programs/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo84

So we trade Smits for Finke, and Javon for the big guy at NW?  Grab a shooter like the kid from IU to replace Bakari and let's lace em up... If Markus leaves, grab another shooter or save for mid-season transfers?
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

bbtds

Quote from: mp91 on April 02, 2019, 11:44:03 AM

Remember for these recruits to make it as Valpo MBB players they must also be good students. Remember the Joe Burton situation. We don't need another problem like that one.

NativeCheesehead

Seems like a high upside project. Hope we get a grad transfer center so he doesn't have to start day one.

VUBBFan

And Drake keeps getting recruits from around here (at least near by)
https://twitter.com/hoops_mvc/status/1114980671641071616

humbleopinion

Two days, two commitments.  I like the change in conversation.
Beamin' Beacons

valpopal

I hope the Danish Emil Freese-Vilien becomes like another big man Valpo got from Europe. Though Kevin Van Wijk was two inches shorter and from the Netherlands, he set a standard I'd like matched for scoring percentage and toughness in rebounding.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: humbleopinion on April 07, 2019, 03:24:12 PM

Until signing day we sit with (6) open scholarships, for conversarion sake.

Here's what we expect:

(1) 6'6" SF Freshman
(1) 5'11" PG Freshnan
(1) 6'10" C Freshman
**Leaving three openings**

I would normally hope only one more is a 4-year eligible freshman for balance sake.  But we are observing the transfer dynamic which says...ok, we sign (6) freshman to this recruiting class and how many transfer?

What is our next biggest need?

(Side note:  is it good that all three of these players were not highly recruited?  Clay was going to juco or lower division before we showed up.  Norway made it sound like he was uncertain of his basketball future.  And the Great Dane was coming off the bench for his team)

M

^^that makes me nervous too^^

humbleopinion

We have signed two Scandinavians.  Perhaps we'll be building an all-Lutheran team.
Beamin' Beacons

wh

Quote from: humbleopinion on April 07, 2019, 03:24:12 PM

I agree. I'm growing in over-optimism already.  :)

JD24

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 07, 2019, 03:35:07 PMBut we are observing the transfer dynamic which says...ok, we sign (6) freshman to this recruiting class and how many transfer?
With, according to the Chicago Tribune, over 1000(!!!) players in the transfer portal, this is now a way of life for college basketball no matter the level. Major programs are losing multiple players. A strategy needs to be formulated to deal with this issue for all programs because, if it hasn't already, it will affect every program.

humbleopinion

So we've signed a Canadian with a Nordic name:  Ben Krikke.  The trend continues.

We have two more slots to fill, right?  I would be content with a couple ball players who are a bit more battle-tested.
Beamin' Beacons

crusader05

I'd like maybe one grad transfer big man who can also help put the new guy through his paces and either another grad transfer or a sit one transfer

valpopal

Previously: This good announcement fulfills my comment yesterday: "From a public relations standpoint, it would be better if a new player were announced sooner rather than later in order to turn around the current negative direction of momentum." Let's hope this begins a tide of more positive news.

Well, it looks like the tide is coming in from all directions: Norway, Denmark, Canada....