• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

But are these players good? Hopefully he's got some diamonds in the rough here but they don't look too inspiring. I don't think we were competing with anybody noteworthy for them either. I really hope he's not filling spots just to fill spots and is actually thinking about making a competitive team.

vufan75

valpotx

Yes, let's corner the market on the Viking nations! 
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 07, 2019, 06:26:38 PMBut are these players good? Hopefully he's got some diamonds in the rough here but they don't look too inspiring. I don't think we were competing with anybody noteworthy for them either. I really hope he's not filling spots just to fill spots and is actually thinking about making a competitive team.
Ya think?

elephtheria47

Ben looks good, real good. He has yet to miss a shot from the clips I've seen of him.

JD24

Krikke played in the Bio-Steel game last week and played 13mins. 6 rebounds and 1-3 for 3 points. He made his only 3 pointer.

Highlights I can find of him are all from a year ago. He's a little awkward in movement which may work in his favor since he isn't where most people think he's going to be when he's shooting as a for instance. His outside shot is also kind of funky but it apparently goes in which is all that counts. He appears a bit slow afoot on video but I thought Alec Peters looked the same all the way through his Valpo career.

humbleopinion

It seems that we may be returning to the recruiting philosophy that Scott Drew employed twenty years ago -- head to international locales to find under-recruited players.  None of these players had come to the US to play for a prep high school, so they wouldn't have gained as much attention.  I like the idea of developing a core of players who are eager to play for Valpo, who believe that they can work together to get Valpo to the NCAA tournament.   
Beamin' Beacons

4throwfan

Humble, I almost would take that a step further, and say that I'd rather watch some foreign players who want to be here, and come in 10th, rather than watch local players who don't want to be here, and come in 9th.

M

What local players do we have that don't want to be here? Unless local means kids from the US....I totally agree though I'd rather watch kids who want to play at Valpo, who play the game right, and who enjoy and promote the experience of being a VU student athlete and I'll live with whatever the results are then watch what I've seen the last year or two.

crusader05

I interpreted local to mean just from the US not like local to the Valpo area.

vu72

I guess what I'm seeing so far is a big who can actually run the floor and score beyond three feet.  As for the PG, if he can avoid turnovers he can be a HUGE improvement.  He is a legit scorer with that mind set.  If he can hit a high level think what that will do for the other guys.  Gone are the 28, 31, 30 types. 

The Foreign players have pretty much universally played well, particularly those with lot of high level international experience.  I'l struggling to remember the last bust and I'm sure there have been some.  Sorolla among them.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

GoldenCrusader87

Remember Samuel Haanpaa? Loved him. Came from Finland before playing at a prep school in San Antonio. 6'7" rangy shooter. Only stayed 2 years but had some big moments. Averaged 11 a game. Some fun players on that team. Bouchie (who sadly passed away I believe), Diebler, Huff, Urule, Little, Lloyd, Calum, McPherson, and Rogers. Fun group. 

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

Quite a story...thanks for sharing it

FWalum

As was mentioned elsewhere, North Pole Hoops has Krikke listed at 6' 9" This article about the Canadian U17 team from last summer lists him at 6' 8" so it seems that the 6' 7" height that has been mainly reported could be a little short. I like what I have seen in the "highlights" so if he is closer to the 6' 9" height that makes it all the more impressive.  Also interesting that he evidently played with Charles Bediako.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vufan75

Interesting last 2 years stats on 2019 recruit Ben Krikke. Great stat lines both years per tweets by Michael Osipoff of the Post-Trib. Considering our needs going forward outstanding stats for scoring avg, 2 point and 3 point shooting %, rebounding, and FT shooting %. All areas we have struggled with in recent years. Biggest question I have is what was the level of competition that Krikke played against to get these #'s. But at a glance looks like a solid player.

Per Osipoff tweets.....
"Some additional details on #Valparaiso commit Ben Krikke, from his Jasper Place coach/athletic director Matt Burrows:
As a junior, Krikke averaged 32 points and 12 rebounds. Shot 64.4 percent (186-289) on 2s, 44.4 percent (24-54) on 3s and 84.3 percent (102-121) on FTs."

"As a senior (in fewer minutes because of blowout wins), Krikke averaged 28 points and 12 rebounds. Shot 67.0 percent (189-282) on 2s, 35.7 percent (40-112) on 3s and 82.5 percent (85-103) on FTs." #Valparaiso

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VUGrad1314

Those numbers are REALLY GOOD I'm on board with this signing!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vufan75 on April 08, 2019, 07:33:16 PM
Interesting last 2 years stats on 2019 recruit Ben Krikke. Great stat lines both years per tweets by Michael Osipoff of the Post-Trib. Considering our needs going forward outstanding stats for scoring avg, 2 point and 3 point shooting %, rebounding, and FT shooting %. All areas we have struggled with in recent years. Biggest question I have is what was the level of competition that Krikke played against to get these #'s. But at a glance looks like a solid player.

Per Osipoff tweets.....
"Some additional details on #Valparaiso commit Ben Krikke, from his Jasper Place coach/athletic director Matt Burrows:
As a junior, Krikke averaged 32 points and 12 rebounds. Shot 64.4 percent (186-289) on 2s, 44.4 percent (24-54) on 3s and 84.3 percent (102-121) on FTs."

"As a senior (in fewer minutes because of blowout wins), Krikke averaged 28 points and 12 rebounds. Shot 67.0 percent (189-282) on 2s, 35.7 percent (40-112) on 3s and 82.5 percent (85-103) on FTs." #Valparaiso

Maybe I looked at the wrong reel, isn't he extraordinarily slow of foot?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 08, 2019, 08:06:39 PM
Quote from: vufan75 on April 08, 2019, 07:33:16 PM

Per Osipoff tweets.....

Hadn't seen this one
https://youtu.be/2tKAxHRiCXY

vufan75

Nice workout. If Krikke has half the work ethic of AP, he will be ok. If he can give us a strong defensive presence and rebound initially I'll take it. Hit the weights and grow into that frame! If he can put up numbers that are1/2 or > than AP did I think we will all be happy after 4 years. He may need to work on his quickness some but all in all a nice prospect with size.

VULB#62

Can he shoot the tre?  If so, he looks like our next  Rowdie.

He executes at a quick rate — not big man ponderous.

JD24

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 08, 2019, 08:32:56 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 08, 2019, 08:06:39 PM
Quote from: vufan75 on April 08, 2019, 07:33:16 PMInteresting last 2 years stats on 2019 recruit Ben Krikke. Great stat lines both years per tweets by Michael Osipoff of the Post-Trib. Considering our needs going forward outstanding stats for scoring avg, 2 point and 3 point shooting %, rebounding, and FT shooting %. All areas we have struggled with in recent years. Biggest question I have is what was the level of competition that Krikke played against to get these #'s. But at a glance looks like a solid player. Per Osipoff tweets..... "Some additional details on #Valparaiso commit Ben Krikke, from his Jasper Place coach/athletic director Matt Burrows: As a junior, Krikke averaged 32 points and 12 rebounds. Shot 64.4 percent (186-289) on 2s, 44.4 percent (24-54) on 3s and 84.3 percent (102-121) on FTs." "As a senior (in fewer minutes because of blowout wins), Krikke averaged 28 points and 12 rebounds. Shot 67.0 percent (189-282) on 2s, 35.7 percent (40-112) on 3s and 82.5 percent (85-103) on FTs." #Valparaiso Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hadn't seen this one https://youtu.be/2tKAxHRiCXY
I thought and, at this point still think, he looked slow afoot in his highlights which were from last season. The workout I don't think tells you anything. We need to see him vs. his peers and not vs. air.

vufan75

44.4% and 35.7% from 3 his junior and senior years respectively. Strong #'s for a 6-9 PF type guy!

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 08, 2019, 08:32:56 PM
Hadn't seen this one
https://youtu.be/2tKAxHRiCXY

How in the world did you find a 15 minute workout video?  lol. Enjoyed every minute. Very impressive player!  BTW, to an earlier point someone made, I don't care if he played against the equivalent of Lake Station and Whiting, those jr/sr scoring stats are very impressive.