• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: vu72 on April 11, 2019, 10:47:07 AM
Quote from: crusadermoe on April 11, 2019, 10:02:14 AM
Loving the Vanilla Freeze highlights.   

1)  He dunked......twice!
2)  He used both of his hands
3)  He caught a ball in the air and put it on the rim without coming down

Those are three improvements already.   :)   Seriously he does look to have some fluid movement and good feet.

The American bigs we've had have zero range.  These new guys are more like a Raitis who could shoot the three.  Once you move outside of the key and still have the ability to put up a shot and make it, defenses have to change and that will be more in tune with the MVC and the guys we face.

For those who don't go back to the Raitis Grafs days, "72 just paid our new guys a high compliment. Raitis was voted 5th best Crusader of all time by the Indianapolis Star.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/2017/11/02/building-best-valparaiso-basketball-lineup-past-25-years/815653001/

From Wikipedia:

As a teenager, Grafs was regarded as one of the best prospects in Europe averaging 13.8 points and 10.5 rebounds at the 1998 U18 European Championship. He posted similar numbers (11.9 ppg and 11.0 rpg) at the 1999 World Junior Championship during which he was voted a First Team All-Star. At 16 years 5 months, Grafs became the youngest Latvian National Team member. For the next step in his career he chose to study at Valparaiso University; during four years at Valparaiso University (NCAA) he was nominated newcomer of the year in the conference. After university he returned to Europe and played in Belgium, Poland, Lithuania, Slovakia, Estonia, Cyprus and Latvia.

craftyrighthander

I saw Grafs play three games in St. Louis in the fall of '99 (VU beat Mississippi State, lost to Murray State and Evansville) and he had such great footwork.  Really smooth for a big man.

VU75

I'd have to believe that if this Mr Freeze was a badminton player he should have good footwork. 

wh

Record-setting night at Alberta Basketball All-Star Showcase
Apr. 09, 2019

The 2019 Alberta Basketball All-Star Showcase, which took place at Harry Ainlay High School on April 9, was one for the books.

Records were shattered in the boys all-star game, as MVP Ben Krikke (Jasper Place) scored 37 points to lead Team Hoyt to a 164-113 win over Team Burrows. Krikke's point total, which included an incredible 23 points in the opening five and a half minutes of the game, was a new record, while the 164 points scored by Team Hoyt, and the the 287 combined points were both the most in the history of the game.

http://abbasketball.ca/article/50866

wh

Ben's winning dunk in the slam dunk contest. This guy is a stud!

https://www.twitter.com/BrianSwane/status/1115802487783428098

JD24

Quote from: wh on April 11, 2019, 09:50:45 PMBen's winning dunk in the slam dunk contest. This guy is a stud! https://www.twitter.com/BrianSwane/status/1115802487783428098
Just curious. Do you watch much high school basketball?

wh

Quote from: JD24 on April 11, 2019, 10:53:37 PM
Quote from: wh on April 11, 2019, 09:50:45 PMBen's winning dunk in the slam dunk contest. This guy is a stud! https://www.twitter.com/BrianSwane/status/1115802487783428098
Just curious. Do you watch much high school basketball?

Enough to know how consistently ignorant your player observations are. Like the one below that changed every time someone questioned your judgement. You backpedaled so much, you were almost starting to make sense. Almost. :cheers:

Quote from: JD24 on April 07, 2019, 10:30:45 PM
Krikke played in the Bio-Steel game last week and played 13mins. 6 rebounds and 1-3 for 3 points. He made his only 3 pointer.

Highlights I can find of him are all from a year ago. He's a little awkward in movement which may work in his favor since he isn't where most people think he's going to be when he's shooting as a for instance. His outside shot is also kind of funky but it apparently goes in which is all that counts. He appears a bit slow afoot on video but I thought Alec Peters looked the same all the way through his Valpo career.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on April 11, 2019, 09:50:45 PM
Ben's winning dunk in the slam dunk contest. This guy is a stud!

https://www.twitter.com/BrianSwane/status/1115802487783428098

I do believe he's more athletic than my limited viewing had me believe.  He's not got great foot speed (neither did Adekoya or Peters) but that dunk sequence (twisting and finishing) has me wondering if he's more athletic than the aforementioned players. I'd submit that dunk takes more body control than either had during their time at VU.

Knee jerk assessment but has me rethinking my earlier concern a bit.

vu72

I am wondering the following:  Does the coaching staff have a heart to heart with players after the season to assess their projected role going into next year, given what is returning AND. what is likely to be coming in new?  If this sort of thing occurred, how did it effect players decisions to transfer?

So the conversation with Bakari might have gone something like this" "So next year it looks like Micah will be back at full strength and of of course there is Daniel, but you also must know that we believe we will be adding a point from Canada that can really fill it up." Bakari: "What about the two guard?"  Response: "Bakari, you know that Eron and Nick are going to be eligible and you know what they can do.  Also, we believe we are adding a kid that might be a first team all-Illinois player who is like 6'6" or so."  Bakari: :Ok, got it.  I'm out of here"

And now I'm also thinking that this sort of conversation may have happened with J as well.  It seemed hard to believe that when Derrik left a guy who was going to be "the guy" in the middle would also leave, but, if the coaching staff told him that in all likelihood we were going to be adding some foreign bigs who were athletic and who could shoot it with range so that J's role would be part time, as a defensive stopper of sorts, that J's decision looked easier as he hoped to go someplace where he really would be "the guy" or go pro.  Who knows.  :crazy:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on April 12, 2019, 07:23:30 AM
I am wondering the following:  Does the coaching staff have a heart to heart with players after the season to assess their projected role going into next year, given what is returning AND. what is likely to be coming in new?  If this sort of thing occurred, how did it effect players decisions to transfer?

So the conversation with Bakari might have gone something like this" "So next year it looks like Micah will be back at full strength and of of course there is Daniel, but you also must know that we believe we will be adding a point from Canada that can really fill it up." Bakari: "What about the two guard?"  Response: "Bakari, you know that Eron and Nick are going to be eligible and you know what they can do.  Also, we believe we are adding a kid that might be a first team all-Illinois player who is like 6'6" or so."  Bakari: :Ok, got it.  I'm out of here"

And now I'm also thinking that this sort of conversation may have happened with J as well.  It seemed hard to believe that when Derrik left a guy who was going to be "the guy" in the middle would also leave, but, if the coaching staff told him that in all likelihood we were going to be adding some foreign bigs who were athletic and who could shoot it with range so that J's role would be part mtime, as a defensive stopper of sorts, that J's decision looked easier as he hoped to go someplace where he really would be "the guy" or go pro.  Who knows.  :crazy:

To your point, the more we learn about these new recruits, the more obvious it is becoming that we didn't just stumble across these guys 2 weeks ago. We have been building relationships with them over time, waiting for transfers out to pull the trigger.

bbtds

Quote from: VU75 on April 11, 2019, 09:21:02 PM
I'd have to believe that if this Mr Freeze was a badminton player he should have good footwork. 

And unlike a lot of our former big men he would likely have good hands.

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on April 12, 2019, 07:23:30 AM

And now I'm also thinking that this sort of conversation may have happened with J as well.  It seemed hard to believe that when Derrik left a guy who was going to be "the guy" in the middle would also leave, but, if the coaching staff told him that in all likelihood we were going to be adding some foreign bigs who were athletic and who could shoot it with range so that J's role would be part time, as a defensive stopper of sorts, that J's decision looked easier as he hoped to go someplace where he really would be "the guy" or go pro.  Who knows.  :crazy:

Those discussions certainly take place.  Also, the guys leaving had a chance to see Gordon and Robinson every day in practice, so they would likely know that those guys would be getting significant playing time next year.  However it happened, ML is clearing the roster of guys recruited to play in the Horizon and getting some upgraded talent.

4throwfan

I don't know anything about the new guys.  But I will say this,

From my perch in the 4th row, I saw a face on Smits and Evelyn about three to four times per game after a missed shot which was a questioning/confused/upset glare toward the refs obviously questioning why a foul wasn't called.  In the meantime, while that face was being made and no attention was being paid to the unfolding play, the other team was streaking toward the other end of the court for a lightly contested layup.  I never saw that face from Peters, Broekhoff, Dority, Van Wijk, Adekoya, etc., etc., etc.  I hope our new recruits don't bring it.  I'll be happy if I never see that play sequence again.

Just Sayin

Quote from: 4throwfan on April 12, 2019, 10:29:28 AM
I don't know anything about the new guys.  But I will say this,

From my perch in the 4th row, I saw a face on Smits and Evelyn about three to four times per game after a missed shot which was a questioning/confused/upset glare toward the refs obviously questioning why a foul wasn't called.  In the meantime, while that face was being made and no attention was being paid to the unfolding play, the other team was streaking toward the other end of the court for a lightly contested layup.  I never saw that face from Peters, Broekhoff, Dority, Van Wijk, Adekoya, etc., etc., etc.  I hope our new recruits don't bring it.  I'll be happy if I never see that play sequence again.

Most certainly prima facie evidence.  ;)

humbleopinion

Next Wednesday is the beginning of the spring signing period.  I'll feel relieved when our recruits put their names on a NLOI.
Beamin' Beacons

valpotx

Quote from: wh on April 11, 2019, 12:39:51 PM
Quote from: vu72 on April 11, 2019, 10:47:07 AM
Quote from: crusadermoe on April 11, 2019, 10:02:14 AM
Loving the Vanilla Freeze highlights.   

1)  He dunked......twice!
2)  He used both of his hands
3)  He caught a ball in the air and put it on the rim without coming down

Those are three improvements already.   :)   Seriously he does look to have some fluid movement and good feet.

The American bigs we've had have zero range.  These new guys are more like a Raitis who could shoot the three.  Once you move outside of the key and still have the ability to put up a shot and make it, defenses have to change and that will be more in tune with the MVC and the guys we face.

For those who don't go back to the Raitis Grafs days, "72 just paid our new guys a high compliment. Raitis was voted 5th best Crusader of all time by the Indianapolis Star.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/2017/11/02/building-best-valparaiso-basketball-lineup-past-25-years/815653001/

From Wikipedia:

As a teenager, Grafs was regarded as one of the best prospects in Europe averaging 13.8 points and 10.5 rebounds at the 1998 U18 European Championship. He posted similar numbers (11.9 ppg and 11.0 rpg) at the 1999 World Junior Championship during which he was voted a First Team All-Star. At 16 years 5 months, Grafs became the youngest Latvian National Team member. For the next step in his career he chose to study at Valparaiso University; during four years at Valparaiso University (NCAA) he was nominated newcomer of the year in the conference. After university he returned to Europe and played in Belgium, Poland, Lithuania, Slovakia, Estonia, Cyprus and Latvia.

If Raitis would have really applied himself to basketball as his craft, he would have been in the NBA.  Naturally talented, and a great guy, but had a tendency to tune out at times.  Don't get me wrong, as I am a huge Raitis fan, and saw his entire career/interacted with him a lot (lived across the hall for a year).
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Quote from: wh on April 11, 2019, 11:17:16 PM
Quote from: JD24 on April 11, 2019, 10:53:37 PMJust curious. Do you watch much high school basketball?
Enough to know how consistently ignorant your player observations are. Like the one below that changed every time someone questioned your judgement. You backpedaled so much, you were almost starting to make sense. Almost.
So you're answer is a resounding no.

valpopal

[tweet]1116904391381016576[/tweet]

valpopal

M

That was one sweet highlight

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on April 12, 2019, 11:14:22 PM
[tweet]1116904391381016576[/tweet]

Oh No!!  We are in competition with Detroit????  :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

It's Mike Davis's Detroit so not nearly as bad, but yes... Apparently so...

chairback

Quote from: VU75 on April 11, 2019, 09:21:02 PMI'd have to believe that if this Mr Freeze was a badminton player he should have good footwork.

It would be better if he was a cornhole player as he should be able to hit a free throw.....

this is how we evaluate our recruits now.  scary.

NativeCheesehead

Yeah I wouldn't mock Detroit. If he's looking for a better facility and a better chance to play in the tournament in his last year he wouldn't pick us. 

vu72

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 13, 2019, 05:12:59 PM
Yeah I wouldn't mock Detroit. If he's looking for a better facility and a better chance to play in the tournament in his last year he wouldn't pick us. 

Sure thing. Nothing like playing in front of those Horizon League fans! :rotfl: