• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Only feels fair that we get one of their guys, when they end up with JFL
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 13, 2019, 05:12:59 PM
Yeah I wouldn't mock Detroit. If he's looking for a better facility and a better chance to play in the tournament in his last year he wouldn't pick us. 

??? Detroit doesn't have good facilities. They also had a 11-20 record last year and they were pretty much a one man band because the Coaches son was given the green light to play like James Harden.

VU2014

Mr. Wisconsin Marcus Domask just reopened his recruitment. Definitely worth making a phone call. He decommitted from NKU.

https://www.fdlreporter.com/story/sports/2019/04/15/northern-kentucky-commit-marcus-domask-waupun-reopens-recruitment/3475417002/

valpo64

Do we still have room for a transfer or 2 that could come our way?  If so, any good prospects where we have a chance?

Just Sayin

wh

FWalum

Soooooo glad to see Donovan Clay's name at the top of the press release.  Really glad he did not get cold feet after all of the transfering. I think he is the keystone of this class.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Valparaiso offseason notebook: Signees announced, transfer rule change could effect Crusaders
Robbie Weinstein robert.weinstein@nwi.com
28 min ago

https://twitter.com/rwweinstein/status/1118705966919421952

wh

A four score: Valparaiso gains quartet of incoming players as late signing period begins
By Michael Osipoff
Post-Tribune

It's worth noting that many of the Crusaders who transferred played key roles when Valparaiso started 4-0 in the Missouri Valley Conference before injuries hit. Lottich, however, noted at season's end that the program's top priority was cutting down on "the 'me' mentality."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-spt-mens-basketball-valparaiso-recruiting-st-041819-story.html

bbtds

Did anyone notice that VU advertises in the Illinois Math and Science Academy gym?

Vincennes University!

My son came close to attending IMSA in Aurora 13 years ago but Aurora seemed too far away from Southern Illinois for his mother.

Valpo89

It's nice to see that Matt Lottich is actually available to the media to comment on the incoming recruits. Funny how he wasn't around when everyone was announcing their departures.

VU2014

Quote from: Valpo89 on April 18, 2019, 08:13:48 AM
It's nice to see that Matt Lottich is actually available to the media to comment on the incoming recruits. Funny how he wasn't around when everyone was announcing their departures.

Might have been overseas. Per NCAA rules you can't talking about recruits publicly till they sign their loi. Give him credit. He was pretty candid in his article with Robbie

crusader05

I think Paul said that he was already on the road and recruiting when the transfer news hit.

vu72

Quote from: wh on April 18, 2019, 03:15:29 AM
A four score: Valparaiso gains quartet of incoming players as late signing period begins
By Michael Osipoff
Post-Tribune

It's worth noting that many of the Crusaders who transferred played key roles when Valparaiso started 4-0 in the Missouri Valley Conference before injuries hit. Lottich, however, noted at season's end that the program's top priority was cutting down on "the 'me' mentality."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-spt-mens-basketball-valparaiso-recruiting-st-041819-story.html

Notwithstanding the reliance on freshman, albeit well traveled freshman with loads of international experience, I like the makeup of this team--which may get better if we can add a fifth year senior or two.

At the five we go from two 7's to smaller, much quicker players who have range beyond three feet. Beyond that, we've replaced two guys in the 6'2"-6'3" range with two guys 6'7". We know that Nick is about the same size as Golder so overall, ex-the inches at center, we will be bigger and hopefully shoot much better.  I have hope!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

4throwfan

72, I disagree slightly with you.  Your comment on "two 7's" relating to "range beyond three feet" implies that the two previous 7's had range within 3 feet.  I disagree with that.

Smits did once in a while, but not consistently.

NativeCheesehead

The more I think about it, the more I'm against bringing in some grad transfers. Let's either keep the scholarships open or see if any under recruited freshmen are still available. I also wouldn't use more than one on a transfer who has to sit.  Regardless of how good the international players turn out to be, the odds are this is still a Thursday night team next year. And if it is true Lottich has a five year contract, you know we're stuck with him for the duration so we might as well see what he can build. But the excuses have to end.

We're going to go into our third year in a row where our record essentially doesn't matter. The casual fan base has tuned out, and we hardcores are running out of patience. I'm less pessimistic about this program than I was a few weeks ago, but I wouldn't describe myself as optimistic until I see these guys play a few games.

talksalot

Luke Morrill... looks like "Strong Moral Character" would be an appropriate attribute.

https://wgntv.com/2019/02/24/montini-catholic-comes-together-in-wake-of-two-coaching-tragedies/

NativeCheesehead

I guessing he and Stallings are team GPA boosts.

IndyValpo

Quote from: 4throwfan on April 18, 2019, 10:42:11 AM
72, I disagree slightly with you.  Your comment on "two 7's" relating to "range beyond three feet" implies that the two previous 7's had range within 3 feet.  I disagree with that.

Smits did once in a while, but not consistently.
And yet he shot the best FG% on the
team so nice try but...

M

The majority of his shots are from 3' in so he should lead the team in fg% shouldn't he?