• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 22, 2019, 11:47:09 AM
Whenever Lottich says he'd be surprised somebody leaves expect at least one player to announce his exit. Makes you wonder how long these international kids are going to stick around if Lottich doesn't get results immediately. VU really should have fired him and begged for Bryce's return. Or hired Diebler Or Tonagel Or somebody.

Downward spiral. Time for the dopamine.

VU2014

NativeCheesehead

I want this dude to come to Valpo just so JB has to learn this pronunciation.

talksalot

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 23, 2019, 08:30:30 PMI want this dude to come to Valpo just so JB has to learn this pronunciation.

If he's as good as the highlight reels... I WILL learn it... quickly !! 

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on April 25, 2019, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 23, 2019, 08:30:30 PMI want this dude to come to Valpo just so JB has to learn this pronunciation.

If he's as good as the highlight reels... I WILL learn it... quickly !! 

I have no doubt. JB, as referenced previously, does a superb job with pronunciations.

Maybe you could throw a ValparIso in there every once in a while to throw the opposing broadcasters off.

Just kidding!   ;)

VULB#62

SKOGMAN. Where do we stand?????  He did not sign at the NLI period start, right? Are we seriously pursuing  him or did we just drop an offer on his doorstep and then forgot about it?  Are we putting on a full court press or just hoping?  Is he a program changer for us versus a role player in a P5 program? Or is he a legit P5 starter?

All that being said, even with or without him we still don't have a rim protector/rebounder. Dang, I miss Moussa but Vashil even more.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 25, 2019, 07:40:49 PM
SKOGMAN. Where do we stand?????  He did not sign at the NLI period start, right? Are we seriously pursuing  him or did we just drop an offer on his doorstep and then forgot about it?  Are we putting on a full court press or just hoping?  Is he a program changer for us versus a role player in a P5 program? Or is he a legit P5 starter?

All that being said, even with or without him we still don't have a rim protector/rebounder. Dang, I miss Moussa but Vashil even more.

I don't know any specific about his recruitment but I've loosely been following it and it seems he has his sites set on being at high major. He is drawing major interest from some big time schools. Wisconsin pretty much slapped him in the face by offering him to be a preferred walk-on. Marquette jumped in the mix when Hauser bros ditched town. I wouldn't get your hopes up on this one, but you never know I guess.

VU2014

VU2014

Wow I didn't see this one coming. I thought Skogman was for see high major bound. Very big get for Buffalo

https://twitter.com/wisbbyearbook/status/1124103651390369792?s=21

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

[tweet]1125646591136796672[/tweet]

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on May 07, 2019, 10:29:43 AM
[tweet]1125646591136796672[/tweet]

I wonder if Javon announcing his return took a scholarship off the board and ruled prosper out as a potential offer. With only the one scholarship left, an experienced big man became even more of a priority *Cough Jay Sollora cough*. Jay is just such a natural fit from a need and experience standpoint. Any of you thinking that we're going to land a big man grad-transfer who is as good defensively as him in this current transfer market need a reality check. This team doesn't need a offense first big. We need a solid to above average defensive big man who can be relied upon to play 25-30 minutes and that's exactly what Jay offers. High majors and very quality programs have been showing some level of interest. Hopefully he doesn't leave Valpo because he could have a big impact at Valpo next season even if he doesn't put up huge offensive stats.

valpotx

At this point, Sorolla's best option would be Valpo.  He would be the main big man, he knows what to expect, and he will supposedly have more shooters around him to space the floor.  Anywhere else is a mystery.  He can play himself into a nice European contract at Valpo.
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpotx on May 07, 2019, 08:19:49 PM
At this point, Sorolla's best option would be Valpo.  He would be the main big man, he knows what to expect, and he will supposedly have more shooters around him to space the floor.  Anywhere else is a mystery.  He can play himself into a nice European contract at Valpo.

According to VerbalCommits, he would not be a graduate transfer, so he would have to sit a year if he went to another school.
Beamin' Beacons

wh

I don't like this business of Sorolla waiting to see if something or someone better comes along, and if not, he might come back, or he might go to Europe, or whatever mights there are.  He's not good enough to have that kind of leverage and control over the situation. I think it's far more likely that Matt is diligently searching for someone better, and if he doesn't find him, then, and only then, he might invite Sorolla back (if he's still available at that time).

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: humbleopinion on May 07, 2019, 09:07:27 PM
Quote from: valpotx on May 07, 2019, 08:19:49 PM

According to VerbalCommits, he would not be a graduate transfer, so he would have to sit a year if he went to another school.

Oren tweeted in early April that Sorolla is set to graduate in May.

NativeCheesehead

For many years, schools and coaches held all the leverage over the players. With the rise of the AAU programs, 'advisors' like Maravilla, the grad transfer rule, and now the NCAA beginning to give out hardship waivers like candy on Halloween, the leverage has swung completely the other way.

Ideally there would be a nice balance, but with most of these changes benefiting the P5s, I don't see that happening. Welcome to the new
normal.

SanityLost17

I am not sure why everyone wants Sorolla back...  Not because he is exploring his options, I have no problem with that.  But because he is not great at basketball and slows down our offense.   

We have an entire team of guards who are defense 1st with the exception of Fazekas and maybe Lorange since I haven't seen him.   We can play defense all over the court and hassle the post via double team, disruption of passing lanes, etc. 

We need a versatile PF at the 5.  NOT Sorolla.  We NEED offense still.  Unless Sorolla just had a bad year, he is not offense.   

Our guards are still not offensive juggernauts.  Much more touted for their defense and intangibles, including Robinson.   

We need a crafty "big enough" versatile PF.    I actually hope Krikke (forgot spelling already) is the guy.  He appears to have some size/thickness and can shoot the ball.  Perhaps just crafty enough around the rim to be serviceable. 

M

A rim protector would be nice. I know a Vashil isn't going to come around very often, but a guy like that completely eliminated the opponents ability to score in a whole section of the court.

vuny98

Quote from: SanityLost17 on May 08, 2019, 07:49:24 AMI am not sure why everyone wants Sorolla back...  Not because he is exploring his options, I have no problem with that.  But because he is not great at basketball and slows down our offense. We have an entire team of guards who are defense 1st with the exception of Fazekas and maybe Lorange since I haven't seen him.   We can play defense all over the court and hassle the post via double team, disruption of passing lanes, etc. We need a versatile PF at the 5.  NOT Sorolla.  We NEED offense still.  Unless Sorolla just had a bad year, he is not offense. Our guards are still not offensive juggernauts.  Much more touted for their defense and intangibles, including Robinson. We need a crafty "big enough" versatile PF.    I actually hope Krikke (forgot spelling already) is the guy.  He appears to have some size/thickness and can shoot the ball.  Perhaps just crafty enough around the rim to be serviceable.

I think we will play many sets where that is the case.... but that being said a defensive minded true big man would be a good compliment to the rotation, especially when playing teams where they have a strong offensive big man (Loyola). Not having that as an option to go to scares me. I would take a big PF type that can score like you said, but unless we have our eyes set on someone that is a very strong possibility to sign, I'd take the known quantity over rolling the dice and risk being stuck with nothing (or a bust)

SanityLost17

Quote from: vuny98 on May 08, 2019, 09:03:06 AM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on May 08, 2019, 07:49:24 AMI am not sure why everyone wants Sorolla back...  Not because he is exploring his options, I have no problem with that.  But because he is not great at basketball and slows down our offense. We have an entire team of guards who are defense 1st with the exception of Fazekas and maybe Lorange since I haven't seen him.   We can play defense all over the court and hassle the post via double team, disruption of passing lanes, etc. We need a versatile PF at the 5.  NOT Sorolla.  We NEED offense still.  Unless Sorolla just had a bad year, he is not offense. Our guards are still not offensive juggernauts.  Much more touted for their defense and intangibles, including Robinson. We need a crafty "big enough" versatile PF.    I actually hope Krikke (forgot spelling already) is the guy.  He appears to have some size/thickness and can shoot the ball.  Perhaps just crafty enough around the rim to be serviceable.

I think we will play many sets where that is the case.... but that being said a defensive minded true big man would be a good compliment to the rotation, especially when playing teams where they have a strong offensive big man (Loyola). Not having that as an option to go to scares me. I would take a big PF type that can score like you said, but unless we have our eyes set on someone that is a very strong possibility to sign, I'd take the known quantity over rolling the dice and risk being stuck with nothing (or a bust)

I can see this argument.   I still see this team struggling to score though.  If Sorolla is back we are basically all defense all the time.   The vast majority of the team is defense 1st and it just seems to me like the setup of this team screams "points off turnovers", which includes Fazekas burying 3's in transition.   

Sorolla not a big transition offense guy... But maybe with a 4-guard lineup he doesn't need to be. 

VU2014

Quote from: SanityLost17 on May 08, 2019, 07:49:24 AM
I am not sure why everyone wants Sorolla back...  Not because he is exploring his options, I have no problem with that.  But because he is not great at basketball and slows down our offense.   

We have an entire team of guards who are defense 1st with the exception of Fazekas and maybe Lorange since I haven't seen him.   We can play defense all over the court and hassle the post via double team, disruption of passing lanes, etc. 

We need a versatile PF at the 5.  NOT Sorolla.  We NEED offense still.  Unless Sorolla just had a bad year, he is not offense.   

Our guards are still not offensive juggernauts.  Much more touted for their defense and intangibles, including Robinson.   

We need a crafty "big enough" versatile PF.    I actually hope Krikke (forgot spelling already) is the guy.  He appears to have some size/thickness and can shoot the ball.  Perhaps just crafty enough around the rim to be serviceable. 

We ran the offense through a offense first big last season and how did that work out? This team needs a 4 or a 5 who can take on a the bulk of the minutes and play solid-good defense and clean up the glass and get have a solid FG % in the post. Sorolla offers that. Not to mention he has experience playing with a good chunk of the roster. Chemistry is somewhat there already. He's not a perfect player but he's pretty solid and there is some room with upside down with him actually being healthy next season.

I think most of the offense will need to come from the wings and Fazekas. I actually think the backcourt has the chance to be more efficient offensively next season if the Javontakes the next step, along with guys like Sackey taking the next step. There isn't a offensive big man on the transfer market that is going to be a guy you want to run the offense through. I can't emphasize enough how thin the tansfer market is for big men.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on May 08, 2019, 01:41:11 PM
We ran the offense through a offense first big last season and how did that work out? This team needs a 4 or a 5 who can take on a the bulk of the minutes and play solid-good defense and clean up the glass and get have a solid FG % in the post. Sorolla offers that. Not to mention he has experience playing with a good chunk of the roster. Chemistry is somewhat there already. He's not a perfect player but he's pretty solid and there is some room with upside down with him actually being healthy next season.

I think most of the offense will need to come from the wings and Fazekas. I actually think the backcourt has the chance to be more efficient offensively next season if the Javontakes the next step, along with guys like Sackey taking the next step. There isn't a offensive big man on the transfer market that is going to be a guy you want to run the offense through. I can't emphasize enough how thin the tansfer market is for big men.

Agree with your main point that Valpo's offensive improvement is going to have to come through better play on the wings and guards, but I don't think running the offense through Smits is what caused it to be so poor last year.  With Fazekas being hurt so often, Golder regressing, Sorolla having his worst year offensively due to injury, Evelyn having a historically bad year, Freeman being a freshman that needed to grow on the offensive end, and Sackey being so bad offensively, Smits was basically the only offensive bright spot that Valpo had, especially during conference play.  I do think Freeman should make a jump offensively, Robinson should at least be solid, Gordon could be good, but given how little he did offensively at Seton Hall, I might temper expectations that he'll be a big-time scorer right away, and Fazekas being healthy might be the biggest factor in how good Valpo can be offensively this year.

Here were Valpo's individual offensive ratings during conference play last year (100 is average) and their total % of offensive possessions used in the conference games they played.

1. Fazekas - 107.9 (4.32%)
2. Smits - 103.5 (16.22%)
3. Kiser - 102.7 (4.19%)
4. Lavender - 99.2 (13.05%)
5. Freeman - 97.5 (16.27%)
6. Sorolla - 96.4 (6.69%)
7. Golder - 91.0 (11.59%)
8. McMillan - 86.7 (3.35%)
9. Evelyn - 81.7 (12.14%)
10. Sackey - 79.7 (10.32%)

So when about 3/4 of the team's total offensive possessions during were used by guys who had below average offensive years in MVC play, you can see why the team's offensive rating was the worst in the league last season.  FWIW - Gordon had an offensive efficiency rating of 100.4 and Robinson had a rating of 107.8 in their last years at their previous stops, though neither were heavy usage guys on the offensive end.

valpopal

If Sorolla does not return, I believe we could get a strong PF who also will be "serviceable."

wh

Quote from: valpopal on May 09, 2019, 12:40:09 PM

If Sorolla does not return, I believe we could get a strong PF who also will be "serviceable."

In all due respect, Sorolla was the back-up center on the 9th place team in the 14th ranked conference.  He can be counted on for exactly 0 points.  To Sanity's point, you cannot have anyone incapable of scoring playing major minutes on a team without any demonstrated go-to scorers.  We at least have to have someone capable of getting a few put backs and an occasional layup.  And to pal's point, that guy doesn't have to be a lumbering giant either. With all the personnel changes, my expectations for next year are much higher than they were when the season ended and I thought we were bringing back the same old bunch that rewarded with 9th and 10th place finishes the last 2 seasons.  As I see it, we're 1 quality center away from making a run for the MVC championship (insert naysayer groans here).  I only hope Matt finds that guy, because Sorolla ain't it.