• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

Well signing day is in November, so it'll either be sunny and 65, or -10.

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 03, 2018, 02:32:30 PM
Well signing day is in November, so it'll either be sunny and 65, or -10.

So if it's 65 degrees you'll go triple thongs??  :lol:

VU2014

VU2014

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on February 07, 2018, 07:47:24 PM
Brandon Newman was at the Purdue game tonight.
https://twitter.com/CoachCoolman/status/961415111578710016

Personally, I never expected he was even an option for us.  So, oh well.

VU2014

https://twitter.com/BSnow247/status/966757967705051137

Newman sees recruitment soar during junior season
Class of 2019 wing Brandon Newman has been on two visits this year and is beginning to really pick up interest on the recruiting trail.
Brian Snow - Feb 22, 1:20 PM

One of the more intriguing juniors in the state of Indiana is Brandon Newman. The Valparaiso product has had a big junior year, and he is seeing his recruitment begin to take off.

About his season, Newman said, "My mentality has been what's more important and I am continuing to be more assertive on the court. I've been able to build off of what I have produced so far, and I feel I am only scratching the surface of what I can become as a player."

With long arms, nice athletic ability, and a good looking shooting stroke, it is no surprise that high-major coaches are beginning to really pick things up with Newman on the recruiting trail.

"There have been some truly phenomenal universities that have shown interest in me," he said. "I am hearing from IPFW, Purdue, Butler, IUPUI, Loyola-Chicago, Valparaiso, Ball State, Xavier, Nebraska, and Illinois."

While Newman is still working to pick up high-major offers, he has made a pair of visits. Those visits have been to Purdue and Indiana.

"I have been on two visits this season, and it has been to Indiana and Purdue," said Newman. "I enjoyed both visits very much, and each school and coaching staff showed me great hospitality."

At this point Newman says he is in no hurry to select a school, but he does know what he will be looking for in a program.

"I am looking for an environment that I can continue to grow and become the best player and person that I can be," said Newman. "Also I want to be at a school where if basketball wasn't an option that I would still want to attend."

Look for Newman to be one of the most closely evaluated players this spring from the state as coaches get their first good look at him against top competition.

NativeCheesehead

At this point I feel pretty safe in extending my thong bet to Newman as well.

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 23, 2018, 09:55:49 PM
At this point I feel pretty safe in extending my thong bet to Newman as well.

Yeah from the sound of it he wants to play at a high major school and we might just be a "back up" plan. Kind of sucks to hear. He'd be such a pivotal cornerstone student-athlete at Valparaiso. He not only would be a tremendous player but he sounds like a great young man and a HOMETOWN kid.

covufan

Quote from: VU2014 on February 23, 2018, 10:06:31 PMYeah from the sound of it he wants to play at a high major school and we might just be a "back up" plan.

To date, only Valpo, Fort Wayne, North Dakota and Toledo have offered.  He may want to play at a high major, but he will need to get some offers first.  Right now, the high majors are keeping him at arms length, with the potential of getting an offer after the silly (spring transfer) season is over. 

VU2014

Quote from: covufan on March 01, 2018, 11:56:55 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on February 23, 2018, 10:06:31 PMYeah from the sound of it he wants to play at a high major school and we might just be a "back up" plan.

To date, only Valpo, Fort Wayne, North Dakota and Toledo have offered.  He may want to play at a high major, but he will need to get some offers first.  Right now, the high majors are keeping him at arms length, with the potential of getting an offer after the silly (spring transfer) season is over. 

The high major offers are coming. He may not be the High Majors #1 priority like he is at Valpo but he'll get the offers. Purdue, Indiana, and Butler all have been in to see him.

I talked to someone who expects him to be a fringe Top 100 prospect if he has a great AAU season this summer which isn't out of the realm of possibility for him.

I hope he stays home and plays for his Hometown Team but I'm not so sure that's going to happen.

VU2014

Just noticed this. Brandon Newman is going to be playing his AAU ball with Meanstreets this summer. It's the same AAU team as Javon Freeman Liberty and Jubril Adekoya played on. It's one of the Top AAU teams in the Midwest.

https://twitter.com/nikemeanstreets/status/968280111316373504

M

Barring a disaster of an AAU season he will get a couple higher offers.  Who knows, maybe his AAU coaches have a good relationship with Valpo and can get in his ear. Maybe some of the current players can help convince him this might be the place to be. 

VULB#62

Doesn't it always come down to quality playing time?  By this I mean: maybe a star or probably a role player at a P5 vs a star at a Mid Major.

The key is if a kid has a clear understanding of where he really fits (forget about the entourage). Here is where I have developed a lot of respect for Jevonn. My thought:  that kid has his act together and he knows who he is (in many respects, not just BB).  Valpo needs to find and recruit the APs and JFLs who are out there. That is not easy.

M

For me, PT would be the number one thing...but I can think of one recruit we lost out on last year who must've felt otherwise.

VU2014

Quote from: M on March 01, 2018, 07:51:08 PM
For me, PT would be the number one thing...but I can think of one recruit we lost out on last year who must've felt otherwise.

A couple recruits. Sasha Stefanovic (Purdue) redshirted and Nana Akenten (Nebraska) only played in 7 games and average 3 minutes.

VULB#62

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 01, 2018, 08:35:41 PM
Bruniga ( sp?).

We never offered but there seemed to be mutual interest at one point during his recruitment.

M

EddieCabot

Big advantage for Miller and Lottich to wrap up their seasons on March 1st so they can focus on recruiting.  Lots of teams are still playing regular season games today.

M

Illinois was in watching him too.

VU2014