• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

https://t.co/Zji9NWE09K?ssr=true

Several Valpo targets and at least one kid who wants to be a Valpo target on the all state squads.

https://t.co/iwnLvMMTTF?ssr=true

Same with the all area team.

VU2014

If Coach Ragland leaves for the Evansville coaching staff we won't even have a prayer of landing Alex Hemenway. Coach Rags is the lead recruiter on him.

VU2014

https://twitter.com/BSnow247/status/981520280253337602

Newman continues to develop his skills
Class of 2019 wing Brandon Newman looks like someone who could be primed for a big spring and summer.
Brian Snow - 3 hours ago

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Mario-McKinney-keeps-adding-offers-117003554

I think it's a long shot that he comes to Valparaiso...

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on March 22, 2018, 07:58:59 PMIf Coach Ragland leaves for the Evansville coaching staff we won't even have a prayer of landing Alex Hemenway. Coach Rags is the lead recruiter on him.

To be fair we probably don't anyway. Doesn't he have multiple P5\BE offers?

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 04, 2018, 11:34:40 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 22, 2018, 07:58:59 PMIf Coach Ragland leaves for the Evansville coaching staff we won't even have a prayer of landing Alex Hemenway. Coach Rags is the lead recruiter on him.

To be fair we probably don't anyway. Doesn't he have multiple P5\BE offers?

Agreed. All of our 2019 recruiting offers appear to be long shots. Brandon Newman (has dropped hints about VU being a possible backup plan), Alex Hemenway (he has some big time offers already), and Quincy Guerrier (offers: K-State, Vandy, Creighton, Pitt, syracuse, Oregon, etc.).

I'm glad we're aiming high but I'm not sure any of our current 2019 offers are likely. It feels like we'd need either those players to have a lackluster AAU seasons, have strong relationships with our coaches and early playing time available.

valpo64

You never know what is in a kid's mind...after all, we did get  J Freeman.

VU2014

Max and one of Valpo's graduating grad assistants were pictured at a local basketball clinic with Brandon Newman.

https://twitter.com/dreadedupG/status/982729576513196032

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on April 07, 2018, 06:50:25 PM
Max and one of Valpo's graduating grad assistants were pictured at a local basketball clinic with Brandon Newman.

Where does Newman rank amongst INDIANA All-Stars (Juniors)?  Glad to see a region guy get a chance at high majors, especially Valpo High.  He'd have to be exceptionally grounded to not get lured by the P6 though. 

I have to think that we have better shots at landing region guys in the MVC, though all I read has him going P5.

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 07, 2018, 07:23:38 PM
Where does Newman rank amongst INDIANA All-Stars (Juniors)?  Glad to see a region guy get a chance at high majors, especially Valpo High.  He'd have to be exceptionally grounded to not get lured by the P6 though. 

I have to think that we have better shots at landing region guys in the MVC, though all I read has him going P5.

I think his stock is going to shoot through the roof during AAU season this summer with Meanstreets. Apparently a lot of Power Conference programs are showing interest but are waiting till they see how he does in AAU this year at some the top tournaments before offering. Purdue is showing a decent amount of interest.

I'm hoping Brandon give Valparaiso serious consideration. It would be awesome to see another student VHS product commit to Valpo and play for his hometown one day.

vufan75

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 07, 2018, 07:23:38 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on April 07, 2018, 06:50:25 PM

Is that Tevonn in the first row far right? Maybe so?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VU2014

Quote from: vufan75 on April 08, 2018, 07:32:52 PM
Is that Tevonn in the first row far right? Maybe so?
I don't think so.

VU2014

Brandon Newman just got an offer from Loyola. If we lost Brandon (a hometown kid) to a Conference rival, it would be a morale crusher for the fan-base.

M

Pretty sure he got offered by DePaul the other day too.

VULB#62

Got that right, 2014.

Let's look at the possibilities.

Even Up:  Academics/private/beautiful central campuses/ same conference.

Different Advantages:

VU - built in fan club that could pull the community into the ARC for 4 years.  The town of Valparaiso. Ah, and then...

Loyola - FF. Tons of alumni deep pockets. Probably a more attractive OCC schedule going forward.  Millions in facilities improvements. The city of Chicago.

What other positives can we compare?

M

Only be demoralizing if he goes to Loyola if we don't recruit and land someone just as good. I only saw him play in person once (sectional semi, the game Archie Miller was there) and wasn't at all impressed. He's also already pretty much said Valpo is a backup plan. You can't be upset if you don't have high expectations, haha...sigh.

VULB#62

In the HL, we could offset the commuter schools with our great campus and academic environment. Some may have had good arenas, but the mix was not that attractive. So we could lure the kids we wanted.

Not so in the MVC. Here we have major destination campuses and well thought of private institutions in good environments with pretty solid fan bases.  We had a great winning tradition in the past at a level that is a few steps below where we are now. But that was then. What do we have that helps us compensate for the recruiting deficits we face against our new MVC rivals?  By deficits I mean a smaller, less than wealthy alumni base that is not rabidly sports-minded and the worst athletic  facilties across the board in the MVC.

Another way to ask this question is: have we reached the Peter Principle (advanced to the level of our incompetence)?  Are we finally at a point where we are out of our league and no matter what we do (given the current administration position) we cannot overcome our liabilities?

M

Picked up an offer from Xavier tonight.

IrishDawg

Quote from: M on April 24, 2018, 10:31:11 PM
Picked up an offer from Xavier tonight.

Historically a Xavier "offer" isn't an offer in the truest sense, where if he decides that he wants to commit to them that he's able to.  They offer a ton of prospects and normally don't start accepting players until they know those that are the highest rated (normally in the top 50-75) are off their board.

My guess is Newman's recruitment is going to take off during the summer unless he plays poorly on the AAU circuit.  He's rated pretty highly on 247 (just outside the top 150), so unless he's ready to commit immediately (which it doesn't seem that way), a lot of major programs are going to start sniffing around.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteAre we finally at a point where we are out of our league and no matter what we do (given the current administration position) we cannot overcome our liabilities?

It's a good question and a fair question, at least in regards to administration commitment. Do we act and devote resources/facilities to our program like we're in a conference that just went to the Final Four for the second time in six years, or do we sit and wait around and hope that it magically just "happens," and expect a 20-year-old Sweet 16 run to continue to carry the freight?

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 23, 2018, 10:03:19 PMAnother way to ask this question is: have we reached the Peter Principle (advanced to the level of our incompetence)?  Are we finally at a point where we are out of our league and no matter what we do (given the current administration position) we cannot overcome our liabilities?

No, according to the general vibe I get from this board we won't reach full-on Peter Principle until we're a member of the Big 10, ACC, or Big East.

M

Lottich is In indy today. Buddy sent me a photo of him watching local team Indiana Game.

bbtds

Quote from: M on April 28, 2018, 11:37:26 AM
Lottich is In indy today. Buddy sent me a photo of him watching local team Indiana Game.

Would Matt like some lunch? :-)

VU2014

If we land some of the rumored backcourt transfers, it makes me wonder if it will hurt our chances with Brandon.

https://twitter.com/endless_motor/status/994307365267755008

2019 SHARPSHOOTER BRANDON NEWMAN BECOMING MIDWEST PRIORITY AFTER PUTTING TOGETHER STRONG SPRING
May 6, 2018 | FEATURE, NEWS

Brandon's stock is clearly rising on the recruiting trail, as he's picked up offers from Rhode Island, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Xavier, DePaul and Loyola-Chicago in the last 2 weeks with existing offers from Miami of Ohio, Fort Wayne, Toledo, North Dakota, IUPUI, Valparaiso, Ball State.

"Purdue, Butler, Illinois State, Princeton, Vanderbilt, SMU, Nebraska, Indiana, Creighton, Illinois, Kansas State and Minnesota are also showing interest."

Newman does not hold any leaders at this point, but he is hearing from 7 schools with consistency.

"Xavier, Kansas State, Nebraska, Loyola, Valpo, Purdue, and DePaul are the schools I'm hearing from the most right now."

The shotmaking guard has a few schools in mind when it comes to the upcoming visit schedule.

"I don't have any visits set in stone yet, but I plan to take a couple over the course of the next month or so to Xavier, Loyola, Purdue and IU."

While Brandon does not currently have a timeline for releasing a top group or making a commitment, his decision will account for more than just basketball.

"Factors that are important for my family and I are a great coaching staff, a great environment and a school that I would want to go to if basketball wasn't an option."

http://endlessmotor.net/2018/05/06/2019-sharpshooter-brandon-newman-becoming-midwest-priority-after-putting-together-strong-spring/

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on May 10, 2018, 10:01:04 AM"Factors that are important for my family and I are a great coaching staff, a great environment and a school that I would want to go to if basketball wasn't an option."

I guess hoping he'd say within a 5 mile radius of his house would be asking too much?  ::)

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on May 10, 2018, 10:01:04 AM
If we land some of the rumored backcourt transfers, it makes me wonder if it will hurt our chances with Brandon.

https://twitter.com/endless_motor/status/994307365267755008

2019 SHARPSHOOTER BRANDON NEWMAN BECOMING MIDWEST PRIORITY AFTER PUTTING TOGETHER STRONG SPRING
May 6, 2018 | FEATURE, NEWS

Brandon's stock is clearly rising on the recruiting trail, as he's picked up offers from Rhode Island, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Xavier, DePaul and Loyola-Chicago in the last 2 weeks with existing offers from Miami of Ohio, Fort Wayne, Toledo, North Dakota, IUPUI, Valparaiso, Ball State.

"Purdue, Butler, Illinois State, Princeton, Vanderbilt, SMU, Nebraska, Indiana, Creighton, Illinois, Kansas State and Minnesota are also showing interest."

Newman does not hold any leaders at this point, but he is hearing from 7 schools with consistency.

"Xavier, Kansas State, Nebraska, Loyola, Valpo, Purdue, and DePaul are the schools I'm hearing from the most right now."

The shotmaking guard has a few schools in mind when it comes to the upcoming visit schedule.

"I don't have any visits set in stone yet, but I plan to take a couple over the course of the next month or so to Xavier, Loyola, Purdue and IU."

While Brandon does not currently have a timeline for releasing a top group or making a commitment, his decision will account for more than just basketball.

"Factors that are important for my family and I are a great coaching staff, a great environment and a school that I would want to go to if basketball wasn't an option."

http://endlessmotor.net/2018/05/06/2019-sharpshooter-brandon-newman-becoming-midwest-priority-after-putting-together-strong-spring/

I don't think we have much to worry about there but you have to wonder what being in on Gordon and Stull says about our commitment/belief in the guys we have/our present class.  I have to wonder whether we've seen our last transfer. I think there's a real chance Bradford could transfer also what would any pursuit of Gordon mean for Sackey and Evelyn? If we add Stull can we still keep Freeman-Liberty happy?  If we add Braun does that impact Golder and Fazekas? It's going to be really interesting and potentially difficult to juggle the minutes properly and keep everybody happy.